Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another View On Hiring Schiano « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

Ludicrous Speed

Starter
: January 30, 2012, 06:26:18 PM

I didn't write this - just pointing out another view on Sports Illustrated's site.  Believe me, as one of the few who actually spends money on season tickets, nobody more than I want this hire to succeed in a big way.  I understand the questions pointed out by this author and they do give cause for pause, yet I still hope Greg's high character quotient (Dungy-like) is able to get this team on the right track.  Still, I'll be interested to see what people have to say about this guy's observations. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/01/26/bucs.hire.schiano/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a3

Michael Rosenberg>INSIDE THE NFL

Schiano Hire Makes No Sense

Tony Dungy coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a while, coached them well. The Bucs fired him because they were tired of losing in the playoffs every year. They hired Jon Gruden, who immediately won a Super Bowl, but then the team declined and they fired him, too. They hired Raheem Morris because they wanted some youthful enthusiasm, but then his team showed too much youth and not enough enthusiasm. So they fired him. And then, this week, they hired Rutgers coach Greg Schiano.
I'm sure each of these moves made sense in a vacuum. Seriously. Go stick your head in a vacuum. Then this will all make sense.
How do you go from Tony Dungy to Jon Gruden to Raheem Morris to Greg Schiano? Does that seem like progress to anybody on this planet? If Schiano fails (did I say "if?) then whom will the Bucs hire? The nearest high school coach?
Almost every coaching hire is greeted with some level of optimism. Fans want to believe. Media folks don't want to sound like cynics. We want to give people a chance. And yet: This Schiano move is the most baffling NFL coaching hire I can remember.
It's true that Schiano built the Rutgers program from nothing. The question is: from nothing to what? He was 28-48 in the Big East, which is not a major conference by any reasonable measure except the one used by the Bowl Championship Series (which, of course, is not reasonable).
In the last three years, Schiano's Big East record was 8-13. He never won the Big East. He is considered a good guy, and his graduation rate was very high, but he could be a saint and the Saints wouldn't care.
Schiano is also known for discipline and organization -- you'll hear a lot about that before next season, because it's his strength and Morris lost the team. But he did not go 8-13 in his league the last three years by accident. There is a reason he never won the Big East.
Schiano is a lousy game coach. And if he was a lousy game coach in college, where the schemes (generally) are not as sophisticated, how can he outfox guys like Sean Payton, Jeff Fisher, John Fox or Tom Coughlin, who have been winning in the NFL for years? (Those guys are all on the Bucs' 2012 schedule, by the way.)
Discipline and organization are nice, but they won't last if Schiano is as poor of a game coach as he was at Rutgers. NFL players understand the game much better than college players. They are older. They have played in more games, and more importantly, they have played for more coaches. They know bad coaching when they receive it.
I suppose there is an outside chance Schiano can win by delegating -- hire an offensive whiz, a defensive mastermind, and do the motivating himself. But I doubt he'll try that. Football coaches who pride themselves on organization don't like to delegate, and they really don't like to delegate when they get the biggest opportunity of their lives.
If Schiano bombs, the Bucs will have no excuse, because they are thinking so far outside the box here that they can't even see the box.
There have been some lousy hires in the NFL over the years, but in most cases, you could at least kinda sorta understand the decision-making. Rich Kotite was an epic failure with the Jets -- he went 3-13 his first year and 1-15 his second year, and just to prove how bad Kotite was, Bill Parcells took over and immediately went 9-7. But Kotite had a decent record with the Eagles before that. He even won a playoff game. So when the Jets hired him, there was at least a shred of logic behind it.
Rod Marinellli went 0-16 in his third year with the Lions, a remarkably incompetent performance, even by Lions standards. But Marinelli had been a highly respected defensive line coach with the Buccaneers. Other NFL teams thought he had the charisma and motivational skills to be a head coach. So he wasn't the craziest hire ever.
Eric Mangini worked for Bill Belichick and had two winning seasons with the Jets before he bombed out with the Browns. Rod Rust was a longtime assistant for successful NFL teams before he went 1-15 with the Patriots.
Greg Schiano? He isn't qualified for this. The things he did well at Rutgers -- getting the community to believe, recruiting, taking academics seriously -- don't matter in the NFL. I love when unconventional moves work in the NFL, but this is beyond unconventional. I don't know how you win the NFC South with a guy who had 11 years to win the Big East and never did.

Meet the new bossSame as the old boss

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 30, 2012, 06:31:21 PM

Jews hate Italians. Not shocking.

This guy...

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 30, 2012, 06:33:36 PM

I'm not surprised that some of the media is questioning the move. Most of them still believe Gruden is a top 5 coach of all time and have a hard time letting him go.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 30, 2012, 06:36:49 PM

Like someone once said, nobody cares about Sports Illustrated. All they care about is the swimsuit edition and that is it. SI has nothing worth reading.

How is Dennis Allen, Chuck Pagano, or Joe Philbin, Mike Mularkey a better hire then Schiano? All of those guys were all mediocre/adequate.

Greg Schiano could be one of the better hires of this coaching class.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 30, 2012, 06:39:29 PM

I'm Jewish and Italian and I can't stand myself, so I'm going to go ahead and agree with tripblood.

The truth is, none of the media have any clue about Schiano. But, he turned around an organization with Rutgers, and the Bucs are hoping he can do the same at the NFL level. I have a lot of faith in him from what I've seen so far.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 30, 2012, 06:40:18 PM

The things he did well at Rutgers -- getting the community to believe, recruiting, taking academics seriously -- don't matter in the NFL.

Wrong.
Wrong.
And wrong.

So there you go.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 30, 2012, 06:51:07 PM

I believe in Coach Schiano.

I could not care less what some SI guy thinks.

Ludicrous Speed

Starter
#7 : January 30, 2012, 06:57:50 PM

Jews hate Italians. Not shocking.
Come on now.  How much did Lucky Luciano love Meyer Lansky?

Meet the new bossSame as the old boss

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 30, 2012, 07:19:41 PM

"I suppose there is an outside chance Schiano can win by delegating -- hire an offensive whiz, a defensive mastermind, and do the motivating himself. "

That may very well be the deciding factor on his long-term success with the Bucs. I think his O.C. selection will be critical.....absolutely critical.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 30, 2012, 07:29:54 PM

What a great article.....not much can be factually disputed.  It is all true.  The results are yet to be determined but it is common knowledge Schiano was outcoached regularly.  Again, it's not like he dominated a weak crappy conference. 

While this hire is a huge question mark...maybe he'll surprise us all.

And outside of "seeing" him speak.....no one has seen anything outside of a lot of talking. 

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 30, 2012, 07:32:15 PM

The only one he'll surprise is you,  methinks.

Most of us already have faith.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 30, 2012, 07:37:37 PM

So if he hires good coordinators, he's a BAD coach? That's the most ludicrous spin I've heard yet.
The 8-13 is a funny number. It's the typical agenda-based spin just like all the writers who would cite Gruden's record NOT including the Super Bowl. His Big East record the three years before that? 13-8. His record without the bad 2010 (when they were 1-6) over five years was 20-14.
But let's be fair. Rutgers was mostly NOT a top 10 program. Their record vs. ranked teams was awful: 4-18. But what does that mean in context? Before Schiano came along, Rutgers didn't win ONE game against a ranked team in 13 years. To take a program that was arguably not in the top 100 in America and get it in the top 10 at one point, finish one year ranked 12th and consistently get it in the low 20's and high 30's is pretty remarkable. Try doing that without a single QB that could be considered elite. McMahon, Teal... these guys were mediocre. But what is to come is just as much on Dominik. If we draft better, Schiano has a very good chance to make us a very good team. But if he fails, Schiano will likely fail too.

In Verner We Trust

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 30, 2012, 07:45:06 PM

LOL...no one on here wants to hear the truth.....he was a decent college coach.  How does that translate to the NFL?  Not very well. 

PS  Faith does not equal success.  I bet Beatles has "faith" he has that winning lotto ticket every week too.  Optimism is great and needed but sprinkle some reality in here.....wow.....just wow.....

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 30, 2012, 07:46:45 PM

On an even bigger note.....the NFL is all about schemes.....having discipline is great and all but we can't find someone that is good x's and o's and instills discipline.  Another hire from Big Lots.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 30, 2012, 08:08:44 PM

Working the registers at Big Lots, Anomaly? Go do your price check on Register 6 and stop bashing our head coach.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another View On Hiring Schiano « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools