Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another View On Hiring Schiano « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 30, 2012, 08:11:49 PM

LOL; didn't realize SI was hiring high schoolers to write articles for them...

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 30, 2012, 08:14:38 PM

The things he did well at Rutgers -- getting the community to believe, recruiting, taking academics seriously -- don't matter in the NFL.

Wrong.
Wrong.
And wrong.

So there you go.

More like wrong, right, and right.

sharp2325

Starter

#17 : January 30, 2012, 08:14:55 PM

There is noway to tell how any of the coaches we could have hired would do. Success with any coach depends on the situation at the time he is hired. Any of the coaches we interviewed, could bomb this year or completely turn this franchise around. Other then Schotty who had success in the NFL everywhere he went, who out of the other candidates can you say would definatively made our team better? Sherman? Doubt it considering no one else even interviewed him for HC and he just got fired from a college team. Zimmer/Chud? Unknown, no head coaching experience at any level. Who's to say they would have had the right formula to win. So we bring in a coach, who turns Rutgers into a respectable program without the luxury of being able to draw top notch talent. Ask yourself this, could any of the other coaches we interviewed done that at Rutgers? Or would have even been up to the challenge to try. So let's give this guy a chance to prove himself. I think we will be pleasantly surprised with this hire.  But only time will tell.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 30, 2012, 08:15:02 PM

LOL.....here we go....the part of the fanbase that refuses to hear the truth when it comes to anything bucs.  Just like Raheem.,.....he's going to wina SB as our coach....blah blah blah.

Again folks.....you show me where the Glazers are doing well in the decision making dept recently...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 30, 2012, 08:20:40 PM

Again folks.....you show me where the Glazers are doing well in the decision making dept recently...

They fired Raheem.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 30, 2012, 08:20:51 PM

Anomaly... We can count on you to post the negative things. No big deal, no one reads SI anymore and for good reason.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 30, 2012, 08:21:36 PM

Actually, I say wrong, wrong and wrong. Because all of those things are quite relevant to the NFL.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 30, 2012, 08:24:50 PM

Actually, I say wrong, wrong and wrong. Because all of those things are quite relevant to the NFL.

How so?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 30, 2012, 08:26:09 PM

LOL...no one on here wants to hear the truth.....he was a decent college coach.  How does that translate to the NFL?  Not very well. 

PS  Faith does not equal success.  I bet Beatles has "faith" he has that winning lotto ticket every week too.  Optimism is great and needed but sprinkle some reality in here.....wow.....just wow.....
Wow, little do you realize that his players were utter piss at Rutgers for years and yet he was able to make them respectable. Maybe THAT's what I base my faith on along with the man's CHARACTER, smart guy. I don't know how you can't tell he's gonna be a great coach--or at least get us up and running...even JAVA is optimistic. What does that tell you? Either he's stringing us along or he has some talent to make HIM hopeful!
: January 30, 2012, 08:28:13 PM Beatles123

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 30, 2012, 08:28:57 PM

Recruiting of free agents is important. If it weren't, there's no need to show them around the building. The head coach can play a vital role in whether or not a FA signs here or elsewhere. And as far as academics go, I just liken it to the broad category of "study". A head coach can be integral in getting his players to spend more time on study. Remember, winning the in the NFL isn't all physical. And let me tell you, during the previous three seasons there was very little emphasis on study by the leadership on the coaching staff... more often than not, I believe the emphasis was on "hey, you worked hard, go out and have a good time... blow off some steam".

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 30, 2012, 08:29:45 PM

I had a long chat with a friend of mine who knows Schiano quite well as he is also a HC within the Rutgers program. Schiano is no-nonsense. He's not a buddy-buddy guy. He WILL rub some guys the wrong way because he's out to win and will weed people out.
During his stay, the assistants who weren't proficient were shown the door. So don't worry about who's on his staff. He's not going to bring in his best friends. He's going to bring in whoever can do the job the best.

In Verner We Trust

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 30, 2012, 08:31:28 PM

I had a long chat with a friend of mine who knows Schiano quite well as he is also a HC within the Rutgers program. Schiano is no-nonsense. He's not a buddy-buddy guy. He WILL rub some guys the wrong way because he's out to win and will weed people out.
During his stay, the assistants who weren't proficient were shown the door. So don't worry about who's on his staff. He's not going to bring in his best friends. He's going to bring in whoever can do the job the best.
I likey! 8)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 30, 2012, 08:31:38 PM

Fine.....but just for the record I thought Morris was in over his head.  I don't have much higher faith in this hire.  Morris was a 1 on the scale.  Schiano is about a 4 when you look at EVERYTHING.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 30, 2012, 08:36:00 PM

OK, that's fine, Anomaly. I'm not saying he's DEFINITELY going to succeed. The Bucs MUST draft better if they're going to go anywhere. But when I look at the ages of the Saints' key players, where the Falcons are right now, what flaws the Panthers have, I'm confident he can get us in the playoffs in 2014.

In Verner We Trust

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 30, 2012, 08:49:38 PM

Recruiting of free agents is important. If it weren't, there's no need to show them around the building. The head coach can play a vital role in whether or not a FA signs here or elsewhere.

That is far less important in the NFL than you are making it out to be. Players generally sign with a team for one of three reasons, money, a chance for increased playing time, or the opportunity to leave a losing team to join a winning one, or any combination of those things. That rah rah stuff that works on selling a 17 year old to commit to your program doesn't play when it comes to NFL vets.

And as far as academics go, I just liken it to the broad category of "study". A head coach can be integral in getting his players to spend more time on study. Remember, winning the in the NFL isn't all physical. And let me tell you, during the previous three seasons there was very little emphasis on study by the leadership on the coaching staff... more often than not, I believe the emphasis was on "hey, you worked hard, go out and have a good time... blow off some steam".

Personally, I think there is a world of difference in getting a college athlete to study and getting an NFL athlete to study. None of the things that we now assume Raheem Morris wasn't doing were so glaringly apparent in 2010, so I think a lot of that is just a cop out way to explain why we lost 12 games this season. The fact is that Morris had the team buying in in 2010, and for whatever reason, they didn't in 2011. We will see if Schiano can get folks to buy in and make the message stick. I have my doubts, but am willing to keep an open mind.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another View On Hiring Schiano « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools