Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be a suitable backup for Freeman? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 31, 2012, 09:17:34 AM

Not one of the choices: Jason Campbell.

+1

ScoutTyper

Second String

#16 : January 31, 2012, 09:52:34 AM

I posted this in another thread that died pretty quickly, but here's my two cents.

"We definitely need a solid veteran back up QB to help mentor Freeman.  Besides, I don't really feel comfortable with our QB stable behind Freeman (Johnson and Carpenter).  If Freeman ever went down, you can rest assure we would have another top 5 pick.  I wouldn't mind Gerrad as a back up.  He didn't do that bad in Jville, I think most of it had to do with the lack of weapons.  We should also consider (I hate to say it), Mcnabb (solely as a back up).  He has good leadership and was a quality starter for a long time.  Say what you want about that past few seasons, but he could help mentor Freeman."

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 31, 2012, 10:00:09 AM

If Jason Campbell leaves Oakland he will be starting somewhere. My vote is Garrard.

Draft Aaron Donald

champkind

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 31, 2012, 10:14:27 AM

If Jason Campbell leaves Oakland he will be starting somewhere. My vote is Garrard.

I think both of those guys are going to be looking for starting roles (and both might be able to find one.) I don't think either one signs with a team where they don't perceive that they will at least be able to compete to start.

Sim

Starter

#19 : January 31, 2012, 10:23:01 AM

Garrard would be the perfect backup. Veteran leadership, former long-term starter, and most importantly, given his age there is no possibility of a QB controversy with this guy if Free has a few bad games.

This can't be said for a few of the other candidates. A couple more bad games from Free and fans would be clamoring for Orton to be our new QB.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 31, 2012, 11:57:34 AM

Kyle Orton

You must be accountable for your actions!

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 31, 2012, 12:16:05 PM

Shaun Hill.

Good fit for what the Bucs want on offense (in theory).

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#22 : January 31, 2012, 01:26:37 PM

I don't like this list at all:

1. Carpenter is a waste of space, draft Kellen Moore and release Rudy
2. We need an experienced vet late in their career willing to accept that role. Someone with 10-15 years under their belt who has seen everything the NFl can throw at a QB. Mark Brunell/ Derek Andrrson
3. Hire Ken Dorsey as QB Coach.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 31, 2012, 02:21:06 PM

You know how you can tell when you have a bad QB?  It's when you make a list of guys to backup your starter... with the implication that they are worse than your starter, and most likely all but 1 of them could very well not be in the league in 2012.  You're basically saying that your starter is only 1 step above guys who don't belong in the NFL.

Theoldbuc

Starter

#24 : January 31, 2012, 02:43:08 PM

You know how you can tell when you have a bad QB?  It's when you make a list of guys to backup your starter... with the implication that they are worse than your starter, and most likely all but 1 of them could very well not be in the league in 2012.  You're basically saying that your starter is only 1 step above guys who don't belong in the NFL.

Sure, that's what it means! (sarcasm.) Actually means, that is who might be available if we go after a QB.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 31, 2012, 03:35:46 PM

Sure, that's what it means! (sarcasm.) Actually means, that is who might be available if we go after a QB.

Spin it how you like, the fact remains that everyone except for Flynn on that list could very well not be on an NFL team in September.  Also, why wasn't Campbell mentioned on that list... how about Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Matt Moore, or even Matt Hasselbeck?  Why?  Because all of them, if there were a competition - which I concede there won't be... but none-the-less, if there were... all of them would beat Freeman out for the starting job.
: January 31, 2012, 03:38:05 PM TBayXXXVII

X-RayCat57

Second String

#26 : January 31, 2012, 03:54:19 PM

Not one of those players listed would beat out Freeman. Orton and Flynn is best of the group. Orton is very over rated and lost his jod to a fullback. I have my doubts about Flynn. Too short of a sample to really judge him and he wasnt that great in college. He may be another Matt Cassell. Which is average. Freeman had a horrible year but his ceiling is higher than all these guys.

McNabb woulod be a complete waste of time. Hes beyond done.

\\\"Rock on London, Rock on Chicago! Taco bell, run for the border!\\\"

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 31, 2012, 03:56:40 PM

Jason Campbell, Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, David Garrard, or Kyle Orton

pewterblood

Second String

#28 : January 31, 2012, 03:58:12 PM

Matt Flynn, but I doubt he would come here. He would probably even beat out Freeman out of the starter position next year.

IrishBuc

Second String

#29 : January 31, 2012, 04:18:10 PM

Jason Campbell is good enough to start for teams in the league. Garrard would be a good option in my view.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be a suitable backup for Freeman? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools