Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be a suitable backup for Freeman? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 31, 2012, 04:41:16 PM

"Instead I'd expect the Buccaneers to target a later-round quarterback to eventually develop into a starter. It's hard to predict what the rankings of quarterbacks would look like, but players like Brock Osweiler, Case Keenum or Russell Wilson could be available late in the draft."

Osweiler is going to shoot up draft boards, I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the first round. Keenum is a 3rd/4th rounder probably. Forget about those guys, they won't be there in the 5th round or later. Much rather sign a FA like Shuan Hill, Garrard or Rosenfels anyways.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 31, 2012, 04:52:22 PM

Not one of those players listed would beat out Freeman. Orton and Flynn is best of the group. Orton is very over rated and lost his jod to a fullback. I have my doubts about Flynn. Too short of a sample to really judge him and he wasnt that great in college. He may be another Matt Cassell. Which is average. Freeman had a horrible year but his ceiling is higher than all these guys.

McNabb woulod be a complete waste of time. Hes beyond done.

You're misreading my claim.  I'm not saying that the players in the poll question would beat Freeman (although I do think Flynn would), I'm saying the QB's not mentioned in the poll that I listed (Campbell, Young, Donovan McNabb, Matt Moore, and Hasselbeck), would beat out Freeman.  Though, to be fair, maybe not Vince Young.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 31, 2012, 04:57:12 PM

Shaun Hill is horrible. And to the guy who said "if freeman gets hurt we are definitely getting a top 5 pick". well..... picking 1-4 > picking number 5.

Draft someone who you think could be a steal. Make them the backup. Brunnell is retiring and going into insurance so we need to stop mentioning him. Jason Cambell and Garrard want to start so they aren't options either. Matt Moore probably wants to start after he played well this year.

And as "average" as JJ looked, his game against Carolina probably ranks in the top 1/4 of games Freeman played in this year.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#33 : January 31, 2012, 04:59:17 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Donnovan McNabb. He was the same type of player as Free in his heyday and might be willing to do the mentor role this close to the end of his career.

Lazy, out of shape, not a viable option anymore from what he showed on his last couple of teams.

Garrard at backup QB salary would be a good option.

Freeman needs a mentor who can teach him work ethic and reading defenses.

Brahmal

Second String
#34 : January 31, 2012, 07:13:49 PM

Garrard at backup QB salary would be a good option.

Freeman needs a mentor who can teach him work ethic and reading defenses.

Garrard wasn't noted for either of those things in Jax.

Bucs need a backup with veteran character to help Freeman and push him for the job at the same time?  You're not going to find that in one person.  Drafting a mid-round QB and signing a washed up vet to teach both of them would be the way to go. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be a suitable backup for Freeman? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools