Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs make a big splash in free agency? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: February 05, 2012, 01:16:41 AM

Or will they nimble a bit like they did in 2009 too pacify the fanbase in the short term?  Most people were stoked with Ward, Crowell, and Lefty and then the trade for K2.  But none of the signings were for major signing bonuses, so don't expect the Bucs to give a big signing bonus out to players or lure players asking for big signing bonuses.

sharp2325

Starter

#1 : February 05, 2012, 01:19:23 AM

I think we will sign a few guys. Not sure if they will be splash players like VJax or anything. But it will be fun to watch once FA opens.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 05, 2012, 01:21:23 AM

Are you saying signing a big name free agent without a big signing bonus doesn't qualify as a "big splash"?

or are you saying we won't be able to hire any big name free agents without dishing out big signing bonuses?

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 05, 2012, 01:21:49 AM

Yeah a belly flop

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 05, 2012, 01:31:42 AM

Will the Bucs make a big splash in free agency? 

...Nuttier than a Squirrel turd.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 05, 2012, 06:50:58 AM

Always hear this "big splash" crap every off season.  Who are the big free agents?  Most of the big names will be franchised or signed long term by their current teams.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#6 : February 05, 2012, 07:57:14 AM

you mean like the Eagles did last year?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 05, 2012, 08:39:39 AM

Always hear this "big splash" crap every off season.  Who are the big free agents?  Most of the big names will be franchised or signed long term by their current teams.

They may not sign a name that makes people go "wow" because like you said most of those guys get franchised or have deals done beore FA hits but much like last year (albeit to a lesser degree) there will be guys. The spalsh might be signing 5 guys worth $20m instead of 2 guys worth 20m

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 05, 2012, 08:54:47 AM

This is just inaccurate, I have been hearing "build through the draft, and add pieces when we are close"

Who are you listening to?????

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 05, 2012, 09:13:13 AM

This is just inaccurate, I have been hearing "build through the draft, and add pieces when we are close"

Who are you listening to?????
That's just the most recent version of "The Plan"  3.6

According to Dom, we tried to DRAFT Haynesworth, Derrick Ward, Byron Leftwich, Winslow Jr....

And after the game where we got SLAUGHTERED by the Texans, he came out and said: "the plan ALL ALONG was to use years 1-3 drafting and start adding Free Agents 'Year 4'" (but if you look at '09, that's not true)

: February 05, 2012, 09:32:00 AM TheChronicHotAir

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 05, 2012, 09:57:09 AM

I'm optimistic we will sign at least one "big name" FA either at WR/LB/CB but I will believe it when I see it

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 05, 2012, 10:39:10 AM

Are you saying signing a big name free agent without a big signing bonus doesn't qualify as a "big splash"?

or are you saying we won't be able to hire any big name free agents without dishing out big signing bonuses?

Why would a tier 1 FA sign with the Bucs without a big signing bonus? 

I am even skeptical the Bucs can sign tier 2 FA's without giving out a big signing bonus.  Koenen who was the splash last off season received $6.5 mil in guaranteed money.  That is peanuts in today's NFL where double digit guaranteed is the starting point.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 05, 2012, 10:42:09 AM

I am even skeptical the Bucs can sign tier 2 FA's without giving out a big signing bonus.  Koenen who was the splash last off season received $6.5 mil in guaranteed money.  That is peanuts in today's NFL where double digit guaranteed is the starting point.

are tier 1 FA's really the way to championships? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 05, 2012, 10:43:34 AM

I don't remember anyone being ''stoked'' with getting Byron Leftwich.

In Verner We Trust

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 05, 2012, 10:44:10 AM

are tier 1 FA's really the way to championships?

Yes.

Because tier 1 FA's tend to be young, good players in their prime, and can give you more bang for your buck.  Tier 2 and tier 3 guys are either not as good (but young) or good (but too old). 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs make a big splash in free agency? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools