Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs make a big splash in free agency? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 05, 2012, 10:44:48 AM

Why would a tier 1 FA sign with the Bucs without a big signing bonus? 

I am even skeptical the Bucs can sign tier 2 FA's without giving out a big signing bonus.  Koenen who was the splash last off season received $6.5 mil in guaranteed money.  That is peanuts in today's NFL where double digit guaranteed is the starting point.

are tier 1 FA's really the way to championships?

No.

Dumpster diving for waiver wire players & coaches is, tho.

"CROWN US!!!"

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 05, 2012, 10:45:04 AM

who are the tier 1 FA's who won championships?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 05, 2012, 10:51:27 AM

who are the tier 1 FA's who won championships?

Wait, so adding talent is bad? This notion that players added via FA are bad but added by the draft are good makes no sense. The problem with FA isn't that good players don't help but that people overpay so badly for not tier 1 players. If we layout the long green for  a Bowe,VJax type guy that can't be argued as anything but a gain for us.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 05, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

of course not.  but many times fans equate tier 1 signings to championships...when "fits" and "chemistry" might be more important.  teams that win dont just overpay the top FA's on the market from the little ive seen.  a guy like jake scott/evan mathis might be just as helpful to us as carl nicks.  dan connor might be better for TB than tulloch.  the top FA might be the best...but its not that simple to me.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#19 : February 05, 2012, 12:01:39 PM

Always hear this "big splash" crap every off season.  Who are the big free agents?  Most of the big names will be franchised or signed long term by their current teams.

This is just inaccurate, I have been hearing "build through the draft, and add pieces when we are close"

Who are you listening to?????
That's just the most recent version of "The Plan"  3.6

According to Dom, we tried to DRAFT Haynesworth, Derrick Ward, Byron Leftwich, Winslow Jr....

And after the game where we got SLAUGHTERED by the Texans, he came out and said: "the plan ALL ALONG was to use years 1-3 drafting and start adding Free Agents 'Year 4'" (but if you look at '09, that's not true)

Well, if you can find a quote, or an article, backing the idea that, "we always hear about a big splash in free agency" I'll retract my statement.

And no one will agree that Ward and Leftwich were "splash" moves. They were both back ups before they came here.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 05, 2012, 12:10:00 PM

Dom: "We're going to be Players in free agency." ('09)

That's the quote-- you do the digging...
: February 05, 2012, 12:11:39 PM TheChronicHotAir

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 05, 2012, 12:14:24 PM

And no one will agree that Ward and Leftwich were "splash" moves. They were both back ups before they came here.

ward was a back who was averaging over 5.0 ypc the last 2 years and had a SB ring?  i think he was the top RB in FA?  leftwich was supposed to be the veteran presence so many here think we need...

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 05, 2012, 12:15:39 PM

Dom: "We're going to be Players in free agency." ('09)

That's the quote-- you do the digging...

He is true to his word....he played and he lost. But being players in free agency is a far cry from "Big Splash"

Do the one year Dom says he will get FA's he does, the next year after getting burned, the plan changes.

What are we arguing about again?????

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 05, 2012, 12:34:20 PM

The Bucs don't have to make a big splash in FA. Just get some professionals onto the roster.....something sorely lacking.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 05, 2012, 12:46:16 PM

The Bucs don't have to make a big splash in FA. Just get some professionals onto the roster.....something sorely lacking.

So if the Bucs sign 5-6 players for vet min is that good enough?  Is that the new acceptable standard?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 05, 2012, 12:50:08 PM

The acceptable standard shouldn't be about how many free agents you sign or how much money you spend. Is about getting the right fits and not hurting your teams future to get it. Its about the results over making fans happy about spending money.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 05, 2012, 12:51:33 PM

A 'splash' would've been Dahl, Tulloch, and Rogers.'

Three players that went for more than reasonable contracts. And neither of them demand a bonus and all three got less money than Trueblood, Black, etc....Horrible

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 05, 2012, 01:07:07 PM

So if the Bucs sign 5-6 players for vet min is that good enough?  Is that the new acceptable standard?

if the Bucs signed ted ginn, evan mathis, dan connor, mike tolbert, and some CB...none are big time FA's...but that would be acceptable to me.  sure, we all want splash.  but that class would have the makings of substance.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 05, 2012, 01:30:39 PM

Way to completely misinterpret a post.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 05, 2012, 01:31:17 PM

A 'splash' would've been Dahl, Tulloch, and Rogers.'

Three players that went for more than reasonable contracts. And neither of them demand a bonus and all three got less money than Trueblood, Black, etc....Horrible

Exactly.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs make a big splash in free agency? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools