Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First thing a lot of new coaches try to do, is get "their guys" in the building « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 11, 2012, 09:13:49 PM

Buccaneers Free Agency 2012: The Manningham/Smith/Sullivan connection

Feb 11, 2012 4:00 PM EST

Tony Gutierrez - ASSOCIATED PRESS
 Terence Newman (41) grabs the jersey of New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham (82) following Manningham's reception during an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011, in Arlington, Texas. The Giants won 37-34.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired Mike Sullivan as their offensive coordinator, and the first thing a lot of new coaches try to do is get "their guys" in the building. In Mike Sullivan's case, two of his prominent former players will hit the market: receivers Steve Smith (northern version) and Mario Manningham. Will the Bucs try to sign either of these players?

Mario Manningham

Manningham was a third-round draft pick for the New York Giants in 2008, and has caught 160 passes for 2,315 yards and 18 touchdowns in 49 games so far in his career. Those numbers aren't overwhelming, yet Manningham is likely to be a relatively hot commodity - mostly because of his crucial catch in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

But Manningham is a little overrated. He has shown flashes of great play repeatedly throughout his career, but he's also disappeared for long stretches. His impressive performance in the Super Bowl (5 for 73 yards) came mostly because the Patriots were focused on keeping Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz contained, not because Manningham is a great, unstoppable receiver. Drops have him plagued him throughout his career, and he makes too many mistakes with his route running.

Manningham is a physically talented receiver who is still sloppy and an unfinished product after four years in the league. While he is still young at 25 and has the speed to add a new dimension to the Bucs' offense, he's also not the kind of player you can build around or even trust consistently.

Steve Smith

Smith is basically the opposite of Mario Manningham. He's a polished slot receiver who makes up for his lack of physical gifts with smart play and consistent production. Drafted in the second round of the 2007 NFL draft, he has caught 231 passes for 2,510 yards and 12 touchdowns in 55 games since then.

There are two problems with bringing him to Tampa Bay. One, he is mostly a slot and possession receiver. He won't add a new dimension to the Bucs' passing attack, and slot receiver is the one position where the Bucs did get good production last season with the emergence of Preston Parker.

Second, he looked like a shell of his former last year, ending his second consecutive season on injured reserve. There's a distinct possibility that injuries have sapped of him of any and all effectiveness, making him a risky signing for any team.

Michael Clayton

Just kidding. But it's good to keep in mind that Clayton did spend the past two seasons off and on with the New York Giants.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/2/11/2791479/buccaneers-free-agency-2012-mario-manningham-steve-smith

yungbull

Starter
#1 : February 11, 2012, 09:29:19 PM

Sounds logical to me, great article.  But even though Manningham hasn't done much, I would mind signing him for VERY few million a year for 3-4 years.
: February 11, 2012, 09:31:29 PM yungbull

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 11, 2012, 10:09:28 PM

Steve Smith would be great here.  Oh wait, wrong Steve Smith.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#3 : February 11, 2012, 10:22:10 PM

I'd prefer Smith over Manningham. He'll come cheaper and he doesn't have as many problems with drops.

One person I can't believe has gone completely unmentioned is QB David Carr. He's 32 years old, a former #1 pick, an unrestricted free agent and has worked with Sullivan. Seems like a perfect fit for when JJ leaves this offseason.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 11, 2012, 10:23:20 PM

David Carr is not worthy of a back up spot.

Personally I would like to see Chad Henne. But I know im a few in the minority for that.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 11, 2012, 10:25:33 PM

not interested in either.........We need a#1 or a deep threat,,,,,they are neither......

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#6 : February 11, 2012, 10:27:31 PM

Personally I would like to see Chad Henne. But I know im a few in the minority for that.

Henne wouldn't be a bad backup either...but Sullivan has experience with Carr. If Sullivan wants him, he'll probably get him.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 11, 2012, 10:27:57 PM

Manningham is a #2 receiver, but a very good one, and better than any WR currently on our roster. His stats didn't show it this year because of him missing 4 games because of injuries and the emergence of Cruz, but just a year ago he had 944 yards and 9 TD's as a #2 receiver opposite of Hakeem Nicks in what was more of a run-first offense. If we can't get Bowe or Vincent Jackson, I'd love to draft Blackmon (who I think is very similar to Hakeem Nicks) and sign Manningham. Mike Williams was a 4th round pick, we don't have a ton invested in him right now. If he comes into the season in great shape and stands out then great, but if he still is the lazy player going out to parties all the time like he was last year dropping passes left and right then we can cut him with no worries. And for all the Dez Briscoe fans out there....there's a Dez Briscoe on every damn team in the NFL. He's not worth missing out on a really good player for. Preston Parker is a decent slot receiver that was playing just to stay on the team last year. Arrellious Benn has shown GREAT flashes, but he's also shown some really, really bad receiver play. I'd like to see what we have in him with a better playcaller. He could be used a lot like Cruz was used for the Giants this year if he can turn those flashes into consistent play.

And the way that David Carr talked about Sullivan....I would almost guarantee that he will be our backup quarterback next year. I'd trust him more than I ever trusted Josh Johnson to go in there and not cough up the ball if he ever got sacked or intercept the ball if he ever tries to throw down the field.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#8 : February 11, 2012, 10:28:45 PM

not interested in either.........We need a#1 or a deep threat,,,,,they are neither......

Smith would be cheap, probably a vet min deal or a little higher. He'd add competition in the slot against Preston Parker.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 11, 2012, 10:33:19 PM

Of the 10 dumbest INTs I've seen in the last 3 years, Henne's thrown about 7 of them.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 11, 2012, 11:53:12 PM

Of the 10 dumbest INTs I've seen in the last 3 years, Henne's thrown about 7 of them.
Freeman the other three?

On a more serious note, both of them would be wasteful additions.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#11 : February 12, 2012, 12:00:34 AM

id take Carr, I think he will be one of those resurrection type guys eventually. Signed as a back up in his mid 30's and blossoming really late, almost like what Rich Gannon did in Oakland when Gruden got a hold of him. That stint in Texas must have really shaken him. Didn't he get sacked like 80 times his rookie season......its gonna take some time, and a good therapist to get over that.....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 12, 2012, 12:04:17 AM

id take Carr, I think he will be one of those resurrection type guys eventually. Signed as a back up in his mid 30's and blossoming really late, almost like what Rich Gannon did in Oakland when Gruden got a hold of him. That stint in Texas must have really shaken him. Didn't he get sacked like 80 times his rookie season......its gonna take some time, and a good therapist to get over that.....

Heck he is 32 already.  He better get it in gear pretty quick.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 12, 2012, 12:16:12 AM

http://thefinsiders.com/blog/2011/chad-henne-vs-mark-sanchez

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 12, 2012, 12:20:19 AM

http://thefinsiders.com/blog/2011/chad-henne-vs-mark-sanchez

Henne actually played pretty well this past season.  But I would prefer a guy like Jason Campbell for a backup QB here.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First thing a lot of new coaches try to do, is get "their guys" in the building « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools