Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PEWTER REPORT'S 2012 2-ROUND NFL MOCK DRAFT 1.0 « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#135 : February 13, 2012, 04:12:01 PM

Questions no Blackmon supporter will answer.....

How many rookie WRs come into the league as a true #1 and perform that way?

How is adding more youth to the WR corps improve the lack of experience?

How would Blackmon change the fact that almost every WR on the roster has 3 years or less?

Dont WRs usually take 3 years to hit their stride? How would a 3 year curve to get a true #1 help the development of Freeman?

All of this is assuming the guy is what hes billed as. If hes the BPA and no trade down is available would be the only way Id even consider him.
Wait, you mean we have to draft a rookie? Rookies take time to develop? They're young? We're screwed!

Our whole team is young. Unless we draft OL, every position would be adding youth to an already youthful group, no matter who the player, they'll take time to develop.

Btw, we had a guy once who came into the league as what most considered a true #2 receiver. He scored 10 tds his rookie year. Why don't you actually go back and look at top rookie WR stats. Julio Jones? AJ Green?

Am a Blackmon supporter who answered these silly questions

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#136 : February 13, 2012, 04:16:04 PM

How would Blackmon change the fact that almost every WR on the roster has 3 years or less?

Dont WRs usually take 3 years to hit their stride? How would a 3 year curve to get a true #1 help the development of Freeman?

All of this is assuming the guy is what hes billed as. If hes the BPA and no trade down is available would be the only way Id even consider him.

As a Blackmon supporter, I'll be glad to address these questions.
How many rookie WRs come into the league as a true #1 and perform that way?  Almost none... but I'm ok with that because...

... that's what free agency is for.

Dont WRs usually take 3 years to hit their stride? How would a 3 year curve to get a true #1 help the development of Freeman?  Isn't Williams going into his 3rd year?  Also, again... free agency.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Hall of Famer
#137 : February 13, 2012, 04:20:26 PM

Not to mention Richarson did this against the best of the best in the SEC

yeah, how did he do against LSU both times? That was the closest to an NFL D he faced and LSU is still very far from being an NFL defense.
How many nfl defenses did Peterson face before being in the nfl?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#138 : February 13, 2012, 04:21:00 PM

Wait, you mean we have to draft a rookie? Rookies take time to develop? They're young? We're screwed!

Our whole team is young. Unless we draft OL, every position would be adding youth to an already youthful group, no matter who the player, they'll take time to develop.

Btw, we had a guy once who came into the league as what most considered a true #2 receiver. He scored 10 tds his rookie year. Why don't you actually go back and look at top rookie WR stats. Julio Jones? AJ Green?

Am a Blackmon supporter who answered these silly questions
I like but am not in love with Blackmon, but the argument is you pick him because you think he's such a talent you can't wait and find someone like him another time. Yes, the Bucs need experience at certain positions, including WR, but you can do that with your #2 or #3 WR. Chances are you have absolutely no other access to experienced #1 WR's so you're either drafting Blackmon or no one. You draft players in the top 5 because they have elite talent that is never available on the free agent market. Your roster composition is meaningless.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#139 : February 13, 2012, 05:11:51 PM

*Based on his hands and body contortion Blackmon compares well to Boldin.  Boldin was productive as a rookie.

*Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, Preston Parker, and Dezmon Briscoe all will be entering their third NFL seasons, which is plenty of experience.  In other words, make a break years for all four WR's.  Sammie Strougther is entering his fourth NFL season, and Michael Spurlock is entering his sixth season (assuming he is re-signed).

*Blackmon would be better than those with "more experience" because he is more polished and more complete with his game.

*Blackmon is a lot like Boldin which is why the curve isn't really there.  Benn and MW were drafted later for a reason and both are projects looking at a showdown this coming season for their NFL survival.

Blackmon can abuse teams with slants and then when a safety starts to gamble defending the slant, you call a sluggo seem route to hit for a big play downfield.  Blackmon is very physical, good body contortion and precise route runner.

He is very astute and doesn't have a learning disability like Benn.  Blackmon can beat jams, and is a precise route runner unlike MW which is important against NFL level corners.  Has better hands than Briscoe, and is more adapt with adjusting to the ball in the air downfield.  Blackmon isn't the ideal height, but Boldin, Irvin, etc were not either but they were deep threats.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#140 : February 13, 2012, 05:25:49 PM

1. its extremely rare a rookie comes in and plays like a true #1. AJ and Megatron are prolly about the only ones the last few years. Jones is a #2.

2. the best answer anyone could come up with is hes "polished" and will be better than proven NFL talent. lol, a lot of assuming I guess.

3. no answer because its more of a rhetorical question as adding more youth will do nothing for experience.

4. no one answered because they are assuming that Blackmon will be that rare guy who hits the ground running and wont take time to develop. He already understands the pro game and knows how to beat elite NFL CBs.

Telling me how great you think the guy does little to justify it. All of you are assuming hes going to be an AJ or Megatron when history has already proven hes not likely to be one of those guys. Id also go as far as to say that AJ and Megatron had way more hype and talent heading into the draft.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

sharp2325

Starter

#141 : February 13, 2012, 05:34:00 PM

Blackmon would make our offense better, Richardson would make our offense better, one of the stud o-lineman would make the offense better. My dream first three round draft would be all offense. Blackmon in the 1st, Fleener in the 2nd and Pead in the 3rd. All weapons to help Freeman succeed and to make our offense more potent.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Hall of Famer
#142 : February 13, 2012, 05:49:17 PM

1. its extremely rare a rookie comes in and plays like a true #1. AJ and Megatron are prolly about the only ones the last few years. Jones is a #2.

2. the best answer anyone could come up with is hes "polished" and will be better than proven NFL talent. lol, a lot of assuming I guess.

3. no answer because its more of a rhetorical question as adding more youth will do nothing for experience.

4. no one answered because they are assuming that Blackmon will be that rare guy who hits the ground running and wont take time to develop. He already understands the pro game and knows how to beat elite NFL CBs.

Telling me how great you think the guy does little to justify it. All of you are assuming hes going to be an AJ or Megatron when history has already proven hes not likely to be one of those guys. Id also go as far as to say that AJ and Megatron had way more hype and talent heading into the draft.
1 and 4 are basically the same question. Obviously, no one knows if Blackmon will produce immediately. No one knows if any of these prospects will produce immediately. Its a flawed question.  And no AJ Green isn't the only one to do it, btw Calvin didn't have a great rookie year. Rookie WR preform well nearly every year. 2011, AJ Green. 2010 Mike had just short of 1,000 yards and had 10 TDs, 2008 Eddie Royal had 90 catches for 900 yards, 2007 Bowe had 70 catches for 995, 2006 Colston had 70 catches for 1000 yards...

Happens all the time.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#143 : March 10, 2012, 07:29:47 PM

If we drafted Blackmon I'd put Williams on the other side and have Benn in the slot. Williams won't have the number one corner on him and Benn would be where he fits best in the slot.

And what type of patterns would you have Benn and Williams run? Benn is he closest thing we have to an over the top WR and that is just barely. Williams is, just like Blackmon, a short to medium range WR that (or at least use too) thrive on YAC. So once again our WR's, despite just using the #5 overall pick, are still clustered together between 5-15 yards, ala Olsen. How is that taking shots down field? How is that stretching out the defense?

It's not like your slot can't run go routes. They had a lot of luck hitting Jordy Nelson deep from the slot last year.....and he only ran a 4.5! lol

Come on man, there are exceptions to every rule. Just like Nelson playing slot once in a while, it's an exception. But implying speed at the WR position is not an important to consider is just silly.

He's not the exception. WRs that run 40s in the 4.3s are the exception. Most of the greatest WRs of all time ran 4.4s or 4.5s.....super top end end speed just isn't a requirement for being an elite WR. From Larry Fitzgerald's 4.63 to AJ Green's 4.5....Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, ect ect. Timing, great hands, route running, understanding defenses, adjusting to the ball in mid air, acceleration...these things make a great WR. Elite top end speed is just a bonus if they happen to have it.

After Blackmon ran in the 4.4's, he definitely worth the pick when you consider all those other qualities you described.  He was also 215 lbs when he ran that sub 4.5 40.  He's a beast.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#144 : March 10, 2012, 08:18:12 PM

I still want V-Jax [BADLY] next week.  IF we get him, I wouldn't even consider taking Blackmon.  I can actually think of 6 guys I'd rather reach for than take Blackmon - Jonathan Martin, Dre Kirkpatrick, Riley Reiff, Janoris Jenkins, Trent Richardson, David DeCastro.

However, even If we sign cortland finnegan and Morris Claiborne is there, I still take him!  I'd love to see Finnegan, Claiborne & Barber.

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PEWTER REPORT'S 2012 2-ROUND NFL MOCK DRAFT 1.0 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools