Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Trent Richardson Thread" « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 102

buddah

Starter
#60 : February 13, 2012, 06:02:58 PM

Trent Richardson is the pick if he is there at #5.  Don't believe everything you read or hear.  If the Buccaneers don't draft him, they'll regret it as much as they now regret not taking Adrian Peterson in 2007.  It is easy to point to Cadillac and say he was taken too high, though you wouldn't have said that during his rookie season and who knows what kind of back he would have been had he not had such terrible luck with injuries.  He was worth the fifth pick and so is Richardson.  Ronnie Brown, drafted 2nd that year also had terrible luck with injuries.  Hard to say how good he would have been.  Of course you can say that running backs are especially susceptible to injuries and there  is some truth to that, but all NFL players are vulnerable to injuries.  It's the nature of the game.  The argument against Richardson is that you can pick up a good back in later rounds, but the fact is that for every one that makes it five or more don't, so you may luck out, but don't count it, and you don't know who is going to be there.  A  top seven back gives you better than a 50% change you're getting a stud.  IN 2001 LaDainian Tomlinson was drafted 5th and he turned the Chargers from a 2 win team into an 8 win team and then a playoff team, rushing for 1600 yards in his rookie season.  His college stats are not quite as good as Richardson's and he played at TCU not  in the SEC.  Jamil Lewis was taken 5th in 2000 and he had a spectacular career going before injuries including a year with 2000+ yards and a super bowl ring.  Darren McFadden was drafted 4th in 2008 and he's putting together a good career even with being overworked and injured.  Reggie Bush was drafted 2nd and he's been largely a bust, but was not the kind of power runner the others have been. He doesn't have anything close to the body of a Peterson or Richardson There's really no case to be made against Richardson.  Mel Kipper rates him as the third best player on his board.  he's an immediate impact player.  Drafting Claiborne at 5 is drafting for need.  He's no more likely to make it than Richardson and passing on Richardson because you can get a good running back later is a huge crap shoot and defies logic.  Barring injuries, Richardson is as likely to be an elite running back as was Peterson.  Peterson caught only 24 passes in his entire collegiate career, whereas Richardson pulled in 64 and averaged over 11 yards a catch.  Peterson averaged 5.4 yards per carry over his NCAA Career; Richardson 5.8.  Both came from elite programs.  The biggest risk in this draft is passing on Richardson.  He's been highly productive, comes from a winning program, has the body of a bruiser, has not been overworked in College, played in an elite conference, and is likely to be the highest rated player on most draft boards when the Bucs' turn comes.  Take him

nitey

Hall of Famer
#61 : February 13, 2012, 06:06:34 PM

Well, I'm not saying that we need to draft Richardson, but I don't see anything that makes me believe that Blount can be an elite running back at the moment. I have friends that know him and indicate that he's not all that dedicated to becoming the best that he can be. It has been widely reported that his practice habits were not as good this year as they were last year. At no point this year did the coaching staff believe in him enough that they allowed him to be a pass protector or a real option out of the backfield. Frankly, Blount looks like a 3rd down back to me. When he's in on 3rd down, we are telegraphing to the defense that we are going to run the ball. I wonder if the reason we took less shots downfield this year was that Blount couldn't block.

I like Blount as a runner, but I don't think he's much more than a 1 trick pony at this moment. We need a RB that not only can run the ball, but can block and catch out of the backfield. If we get that, then downfield shots and play action passes work a hell of a lot better than they did this season.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#62 : February 13, 2012, 06:09:52 PM

Trent Richardson is the pick if he is there at #5.  Don't believe everything you read or hear.  If the Buccaneers don't draft him, they'll regret it as much as they now regret not taking Adrian Peterson in 2007.  It is easy to point to Cadillac and say he was taken too high, though you wouldn't have said that during his rookie season and who knows what kind of back he would have been had he not had such terrible luck with injuries.  He was worth the fifth pick and so is Richardson.  Ronnie Brown, drafted 2nd that year also had terrible luck with injuries.  Hard to say how good he would have been.  Of course you can say that running backs are especially susceptible to injuries and there  is some truth to that, but all NFL players are vulnerable to injuries.  It's the nature of the game.  The argument against Richardson is that you can pick up a good back in later rounds, but the fact is that for every one that makes it five or more don't, so you may luck out, but don't count it, and you don't know who is going to be there.  A  top seven back gives you better than a 50% change you're getting a stud.  IN 2001 LaDainian Tomlinson was drafted 5th and he turned the Chargers from a 2 win team into an 8 win team and then a playoff team, rushing for 1600 yards in his rookie season.  His college stats are not quite as good as Richardson's and he played at TCU not  in the SEC.  Jamil Lewis was taken 5th in 2000 and he had a spectacular career going before injuries including a year with 2000+ yards and a super bowl ring.  Darren McFadden was drafted 4th in 2008 and he's putting together a good career even with being overworked and injured.  Reggie Bush was drafted 2nd and he's been largely a bust, but was not the kind of power runner the others have been. He doesn't have anything close to the body of a Peterson or Richardson There's really no case to be made against Richardson.  Mel Kipper rates him as the third best player on his board.  he's an immediate impact player.  Drafting Claiborne at 5 is drafting for need.  He's no more likely to make it than Richardson and passing on Richardson because you can get a good running back later is a huge crap shoot and defies logic.  Barring injuries, Richardson is as likely to be an elite running back as was Peterson.  Peterson caught only 24 passes in his entire collegiate career, whereas Richardson pulled in 64 and averaged over 11 yards a catch.  Peterson averaged 5.4 yards per carry over his NCAA Career; Richardson 5.8.  Both came from elite programs.  The biggest risk in this draft is passing on Richardson.  He's been highly productive, comes from a winning program, has the body of a bruiser, has not been overworked in College, played in an elite conference, and is likely to be the highest rated player on most draft boards when the Bucs' turn comes.  Take him

amazing post!!! Bravo

Best defense, is keeping the opposing offense off the field. Say what you want, but time and time again it stands true. Having a defense that stays off the field keeps them fresh as well

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#63 : February 13, 2012, 06:14:28 PM

amazing post!!! Bravo

Best defense, is keeping the opposing offense off the field. Say what you want, but time and time again it stands true. Having a defense that stays off the field keeps them fresh as well
BST - I know your a BAMA fan, and I'm curious. What was Richardson's worst game as a RB? I don't ever think he had one.

sharp2325

Starter

#64 : February 13, 2012, 06:18:30 PM

It all comes down to what we as fans believe we already have on our team. From reading posts those who are pushing hardest for Richardson are the fans who don't believe in Blount and believe we need a new feature back in Richardson. Others, like myself believe we have a stud running back in Blount and only need to draft a complimentary back or 3rd down back. Why we are bashing each other for having different opinions is pretty silly. But it is the competitive spirit in all of us, that we want to be right. Theres no doubt Richardson would help us but at what cost? Missing out on another player that could makes us stronger somewhere else. No matter what happens I amexcited to see what happens.

pljlsplltt

Second String

#65 : February 13, 2012, 06:22:36 PM

I don't get what everyone hates on Blount. Do people not realize he has never had a full off season with this team, and obviously the coaching hasn't been the greatest. If Coach Schiano comes in and Blount busts his ass I don't see why he can't be one of the better backs in the league. His rookie season he rushed for over 1000 yards in just about half a season. He can obviously play at this level, and Coach Schiano seems the type to make you work %110 or get the hell out. I think many people are going to be surprised by Blount this year and he's going to quiet all his doubters.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#66 : February 13, 2012, 06:24:41 PM

Sharp,

After one and a half years, what makes you believe that Blount can be an every down running back? At no time did the staff trust Blount to be the protector for Freeman in passing downs and he only caught 15 total passes last season after being the primary running back. Hell, LUMPKIN caught 41 passes and he didn't even play more than half the year.

To be elite, you have to be complete and I don't see that happ'n man.

Again, JMO.

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#67 : February 13, 2012, 06:33:51 PM

BST - I know your a BAMA fan, and I'm curious. What was Richardson's worst game as a RB? I don't ever think he had one.

probably Kent State this year. Was in the game early as they sold out for the run. Had a low ypc avg, but still had 3 td's....LOL

Besides that I guess you can say LSU in the regular season, but even then 150 total yards against that defense and they sold out to stop him

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#68 : February 13, 2012, 06:35:55 PM

Sharp,

After one and a half years, what makes you believe that Blount can be an every down running back? At no time did the staff trust Blount to be the protector for Freeman in passing downs and he only caught 15 total passes last season after being the primary running back. Hell, LUMPKIN caught 41 passes and he didn't even play more than half the year.

Again, JMO.

Do we need an elite back?  The playoffs showed you can do well with role-players at the RB spot, as long as they are effective

sharp2325

Starter

#69 : February 13, 2012, 06:38:03 PM

Nitey- That's a fair question, what I see is a big bruising running back that has averaged over 4 yards a carry in his first two seasons in the NFL without a complete offseason. When Blount was given the opportunity to catch the ball out of the backfield last season he averaged almost 10 yards a catch. That to me proves he was not utilized properly on third downs. There is no reason we couldn't have figured out a way to keep Blount in on third downs if not just to be less predictable. I believe with a a full offseason Blount will be a pro bowler next year. He will  have over 10 TD's next season. I also believe if we cut Blount or let him go, he will get scooped up in a hurry and do you want to have to play against Blount? Not me. But this is just my opinion.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#70 : February 13, 2012, 06:40:35 PM

Sharp,

Again, JMO.
The staff also thought having Lumpkin on the field was a good idea at all

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#71 : February 13, 2012, 06:47:33 PM

Nitey- That's a fair question, what I see is a big bruising running back that has averaged over 4 yards a carry in his first two seasons in the NFL without a complete offseason. When Blount was given the opportunity to catch the ball out of the backfield last season he averaged almost 10 yards a catch. That to me proves he was not utilized properly on third downs. There is no reason we couldn't have figured out a way to keep Blount in on third downs if not just to be less predictable. I believe with a a full offseason Blount will be a pro bowler next year. He will  have over 10 TD's next season. I also believe if we cut Blount or let him go, he will get scooped up in a hurry and do you want to have to play against Blount? Not me. But this is just my opinion.

why cant we have two good backs? in fact two elite backs as many of you say that you think he will be?!

Panthers have two first rounders and a third rounder invested in their RB's
Vikings drafted Gerhart in the second to pair with the best RB in the league

point is having a deep backfield is a good problem...

nitey

Hall of Famer
#72 : February 13, 2012, 06:48:39 PM

Sharp,

As I mentioned in a post above, I have some inside knowledge about Blount and that person indicates that he is NOT a hard worker and that was the reason that he wasn't trusted by the football staff last year in blocking or receiving situations. Yes, he did average about 10 yards per catch last season but that was because the other teams weren't accounting for him out of the backfield so his average is high. But you have to look at the Lumpkin factor, no way this guy should have been on the field, but the reason that he was because he outworked Blount in practice. Blount doesn't like to block and that's a fact.

Maybe we don't need a true elite back, I'm not saying that we need to draft Richardson, only that I have no faith that Blount is the answer. Perhaps the new coaching staff can succeed when the last one didn't but I certainly don't want to go through another season of watching Freeman have to check down because Blount can't block or catch. Also, I'm no saying to cut the guy, only that we need something to go along with him. Having a strong running threat is a great way to help the passing game and to keep your defense off the field. Blount is a decent runner, but that's all he is (so far).

nitey

Hall of Famer
#73 : February 13, 2012, 06:50:07 PM

>> The staff also thought having Lumpkin on the field was a good idea at all <<

The staff had no choice because Blount didn't give them one. Morris wanted Williams back and there is no telling if others wanted some one other than Lumpkin in the first place.

sharp2325

Starter

#74 : February 13, 2012, 06:56:20 PM

I agree, we definately need to add a back in FA/ the draft or both. I don't have any doubt that if Blount wants to be on this team he will change his attitude and quickly. I don't believe Schiano will deal with the that nonsense this year. I think we are a better team with Blount, Freeman was a better QB in 2010 because of Blount. He really didn't have a chance last  year when we were getting blown out by multiple TD's by halftime last year. I would like to see us draft a running back. If it's Richardson i'll be happy because he will be a stud paired up with Blount.  If we don't go RB in the first I would like to try and get Martin, Miller or Pead.  Really like Pead and think we could get him with our 3rd pick. Wouldn't mind bringing in Tolbert as well.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 102
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Trent Richardson Thread" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools