Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Claiborne or...RT? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 14, 2012, 11:55:35 AM

We don't NEED a RT.

We have other positions filled which are much more important. Examples: LG, CB (2), LB-at least 1, S, RB and backup QB.

To me those are NEEDS!

Add C to that list. Fine can't stay healthy, and is a turnstile when he is.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 14, 2012, 12:50:15 PM

Right Tackle would be the DUMBEST pick ever. You don't waste a pick that high to have him play RT for that long. We'd be speeding up the process on Penn for no particular reason. And most importantly, good tackle prospects come out EVERY SINGLE YEAR! We can't take a guy like Reiff over more pressing needs, not to mention more talented players, when there's going to be someone available as good or better every draft for the next 10 years. There's no value in it.
1. There's a darned good reason we'd be speeding up the process on Penn - he balloons up to 400 lbs around Thanksgiving of every season and his play falls off the cliff.

2. Yes, there are good tackle prospects every year, just like there are good prospects at every other position each year. The difference is all the good tackle prospects are usually gone within the first 10-15 picks, and hopefully the Bucs won't be picking this high again anytime soon.
1. You can thank the coaches for not doing anything for that the past 2 years.
2. There a good tackles every year. Elite CB's and elite RB's don't come out as often. And good tackle prospects have fallen out the top 15 many many times over the years.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 14, 2012, 12:51:34 PM

Right Tackle would be the DUMBEST pick ever. You don't waste a pick that high to have him play RT for that long. We'd be speeding up the process on Penn for no particular reason. And most importantly, good tackle prospects come out EVERY SINGLE YEAR! We can't take a guy like Reiff over more pressing needs, not to mention more talented players, when there's going to be someone available as good or better every draft for the next 10 years. There's no value in it.
Wait, aren't you the guy who wants us to spend a top 5 pick on a running back?  And you're complaining about the value of drafting a guy to play offensive tackle?
Read the post ^

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 14, 2012, 01:02:27 PM

2. There a good tackles every year. Elite CB's and elite RB's don't come out as often. And good tackle prospects have fallen out the top 15 many many times over the years.
So what makes Claiborne elite?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM

Wait, aren't you the guy who wants us to spend a top 5 pick on a running back?  And you're complaining about the value of drafting a guy to play offensive tackle?
Read the post ^
I did.  I just strongly disagree with the value of a guy like Richardson.  But you knew that.  And I knew you knew that.  We've had this conversation before.  ;)

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 14, 2012, 02:19:01 PM

So what makes Claiborne elite?
Diagnose a weakness in his game. Elite prospects are damn near flawless prospects, they have no gaping holes in their game.

Claiborne does everything well. Only issue with him is his weight at 185. He is a little too light playing against bigger, stronger WR's in the NFL.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 14, 2012, 02:21:24 PM

Read the post ^
I did.  I just strongly disagree with the value of a guy like Richardson.  But you knew that.  And I knew you knew that.  We've had this conversation before.  ;)
I said good tackle prospects come out every year. Elite CB and elite RB's not so much. You have to get them while you can. Do you disagree or agree? Throw away the names for a second.

TowMater69

Second String

#37 : February 14, 2012, 02:43:05 PM

I'd take Reiff only if Claiborne is gone before #5...Reiff has great feet, proper technique and positional awareness.  He's a 10-12 year LT, who will bring a sense of dedication, nastiness and hard work to the OL.  He's better than Kalil right now . . and you can move Donald Penn back to RT/backup lt and keep Trueblood as the back-up RT.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 14, 2012, 02:49:36 PM

I said good tackle prospects come out every year. Elite CB and elite RB's not so much. You have to get them while you can. Do you disagree or agree? Throw away the names for a second.
I disagree with the "you have to get them while you can" part as far as running backs go.  (I'm pretty much right there with you on Claiborne, although there's less precedence one way or the other on top 5 corners.)  I know, I know, you could do this for practically any position other than quarterback, but I keep finding myself thinking that the best case scenario when drafting Generic Elite Running Back Prospect would have him turn out to be a guy like Peterson.  And I can't help but following that thought up by mulling that the Vikings lived and died by how well Favre did, not AD.  And I know.  I get your argument about how adding a top running back would help Freeman.  I'm not with dalbuc in completely throwing that argument out.  But I have enough faith in Blount to feel like we could put together a very good running game without necessarily adding an elite running back prospect.

To be honest though, I'll admit that I'm not entirely thrilled by the idea of the team drafting Reiff either.  Kalil would be another story entirely.  I personally think Richardson versus Blackmon is the more interesting question.  (If Claiborne is off the board, that means Blackmon'd probably still be available.)  In general, I'd prefer an elite wideout over an elite running back, but I think there are reasonable cases to be made that Richardson would be much more clearly the better prospect.  And the team does, admittedly, need talent.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 14, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Reiff has great feet, proper technique and positional awareness.  He's a 10-12 year LT, who will bring a sense of dedication, nastiness and hard work to the OL. 

if this is who reiff really is, ive got no problem taking him with #5 and starting him on the right side for a year or 2.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 14, 2012, 02:52:07 PM

#5 is way too high for an RT.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 14, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

if tyron smith was in this draft, would you take him at #5?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 14, 2012, 04:04:12 PM

Kalil kept Smith from playing on the blind side at USC so in theory he should be better prospect than him.  I also think Reiff and Kalil are closer than you think in talent.  Just one has the bigger name so it feels like a more legit selection.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 14, 2012, 04:07:00 PM

Rich McKay basically inferred the same thing concerning Walter Jones in the 1997 draft.  Dunn was a fine player for us but in retrospect no one would take him over Jones.  Yes, Jones was a RT at FSU and was originally projected to play that side.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 14, 2012, 04:28:31 PM

if tyron smith was in this draft, would you take him at #5?

When did Tyron Smith become the gold standard of the RT position?

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Claiborne or...RT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools