Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#45 : August 22, 2012, 11:47:18 AM

Awesome thread. The food network has become one of my favorite channels of late.

Last night I cooked finger food dinner...turkey burger sliders, roasted potatoe wedges, and steamed garlic brocolli.
I'm gonna have to try the pri pri chicken, sounds good. I'm a big fan of soups, salads, stews, and casseroles.
Brunswick stew is my favorite.
. I've already mentioned it but you would probably like this http://www.recipe.com/easy-cassoulet/

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#46 : August 22, 2012, 12:21:40 PM

Awesome thread. The food network has become one of my favorite channels of late.

Last night I cooked finger food dinner...turkey burger sliders, roasted potatoe wedges, and steamed garlic brocolli.
I'm gonna have to try the pri pri chicken, sounds good. I'm a big fan of soups, salads, stews, and casseroles.

Bro...sliders are the sh*t.

Made those last weekend...and may have them tonight with turkey instead of beef(wifey will cook this time).

I am a huge fan of spi.ce and heat. Last time I blended half of a habanero pepper with about a 1/4 of a cup of water..I take half of that mixture, and mix that into the meat along with my own mixture of burger seasonings. Also, I like to add a touch of finely grated romano cheese to the mix. Then I cut up small cubes of American cheese and put those in the center of the patty. For me, sliders are easiest to cook stove top in a skillet that can be covered with a lid. l then add the other half of the habanero/water mixture into the skillet so that they get the nice char on the bottom but also the steam keeps them juicy. I then add half a slice of provolone cheese so that it melts on top while its still in the skillet. When they are done..I get the wheat slider buns and dress them with Jack Daniels spi.cy southwest mustard, lettuce, a few jalapenos, and a few small slices of avocado.

Heaven.
: August 22, 2012, 12:27:46 PM chace1986

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#47 : August 22, 2012, 12:41:28 PM

Its taken 40 years but I've grown to like spi cy flavor as well.  Just can't get the rest of the family on board.  But my son is pretty good for a 10 year old.  not very finicky.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#48 : August 22, 2012, 01:31:34 PM

. I've already mentioned it but you would probably like this http://www.recipe.com/easy-cassoulet/
thanks man sounds good although I like dry beans over canned all day. Cooked dry beans in a stew or soup lets you know when its done.
Canned maybe good for a quick recipe but I like mine slow cooked. I'm definately gonna try it.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#49 : August 22, 2012, 01:51:40 PM

Bro...sliders are the sh*t.

Made those last weekend...and may have them tonight with turkey instead of beef(wifey will cook this time).

I am a huge fan of spi.ce and heat. Last time I blended half of a habanero pepper with about a 1/4 of a cup of water..I take half of that mixture, and mix that into the meat along with my own mixture of burger seasonings. Also, I like to add a touch of finely grated romano cheese to the mix. Then I cut up small cubes of American cheese and put those in the center of the patty. For me, sliders are easiest to cook stove top in a skillet that can be covered with a lid. l then add the other half of the habanero/water mixture into the skillet so that they get the nice char on the bottom but also the steam keeps them juicy. I then add half a slice of provolone cheese so that it melts on top while its still in the skillet. When they are done..I get the wheat slider buns and dress them with Jack Daniels spi.cy southwest mustard, lettuce, a few jalapenos, and a few small slices of avocado.

Heaven.
hell yea!
those Hawaiian sweet rolls make the best slider buns. Butter and toast them bad boys and you have a taste bud orgasm waiting to happen.
Deep fry some battered sweet onion rings and toss up an egg potatoe salad, or cole slaw, and you have a sunday dinner fit for a pirate.

Speaking of coleslaw, i tried some asian cole slaw from a deli the other day for lunch that was good as **CENSORED**! I brought some home and threw it on a chili dog and it didnt measure up to regular american slaw but good none the less.

Any one else have a cooking ritual for football sundays? I prep and marinande on saturdays and fire up the grill around 11 on sunday mornings. I cook enough to last thru monday night football. Thats about the only thing the wife and kids look forward to on fall sundays.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#50 : August 22, 2012, 03:30:29 PM

One 8-10 pound pork butt

Melt one cup salt (I use coarse Kosher salt) and
one cup brown sugar in
one cup vinegar (I use brine I've saved from jars of hot peppers)
Remove from heat

Add one entire head of garlic, crushed
Cumin, lots of
Peppercorns
Old Bay seasoning?
Whatever ya got, throw it in
Allow to cool

Add 2-3 liters ginger ale, chilled
Mix should be no more than room temperature
Submerse pork in brine and refrigerate 10-12 hours

Remove pork and rinse very thoroughly, 15-20 minutes (save the brine)
Cut out the shoulder bone (difficult to explain, you'll have to learn this on your own)
Butterfly the pork, starting in the middle (cut out the fat that starts at the top then goes down inside the meat)
Fold back into original shape and pat dry with paper towels
Apply generous amounts of sp*ce and rub it all over your butt (I usually make my own, but there are many quality rubs such as 'Bad Byrons'.
Back into the refrigerator overnight

Next day, make some stuffing ('Stove Top' pork or sage will work. If you make your own, don't be afraid of strong flavors)
Open the roast and pack it with stuffing
Fold it closed and tie it with cotton twine (soak the twine in water first)
Boil the brine to sterilize it, then pour it into a half 200 pan
Place the pan in the smoker under the meat so it will catch the drippings and add moisture to the smoke
Smoke for 10-12 hours

I use a side by smoker, similar to this:

It never gets all that hot unless you put charcoal directly under the meat. I prefer to just finish cooking in a slow cooker, insuring that the meat reaches 170 degrees internal temperature. Don't like food poisoning? Buy a meat thermometer.

I buy lump charcoal to smoke with, and then add some apple wood to it. Maybe a little mesquite or hickory, too.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#51 : August 22, 2012, 04:00:08 PM

Sounds incredible.  Never used a smoker but I have thought about getting one.  Maybe ask for one for x-mas.  Would love to make proper ribs.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#52 : August 22, 2012, 04:38:56 PM

Penne alla Vodka from the Sopranos Family Cookbook:    In large skillet melt 3 tbs butter.  Add 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.  That's around a tbs if you buy pre chopped garlic.  Cook until golden, about 2 minutes.  Stir in 2 ounces of thinly sliced prosciutto cut into strips and cook for 1 minute.  Add 28 to 35 ounce can of Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped, and 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream and cook for 1 minute, stirring well.  Add 1/4 cup vodka and cook for 2 minutes.  Season with salt.  Add 1 pound of cooked, al dente, penne to the skillet and toss around the sauce.  Add 1/2 cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano and toss again.  Serve.
Perfect, going to give this a shot sometime soon.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#53 : August 22, 2012, 11:19:18 PM

Cooked dinner for a lady friend the other night and this side dish literally got me laid on the spot:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-asparagus/

Ingredients

1 bunch thin asparagus spears, trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)

Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Place the asparagus into a mixing bowl, and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Arrange the asparagus onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake in the preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness. Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#54 : August 23, 2012, 05:29:35 AM

Asperagus?  Hope for your lady friend's sake she didn't swallow in the activities afterwards.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#55 : August 23, 2012, 07:26:57 AM

Asperagus?  Hope for your lady friend's sake she didn't swallow in the activities afterwards.

LOL!

-ts

Hall of Famer
#56 : August 23, 2012, 10:17:58 PM

Made Piri Piri chicken drum sticks, baked homemade french fries, and Brad's asperagus on the grill.

Overall very good, the asperagus was the best I've ever had.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#57 : August 23, 2012, 10:50:34 PM

Pineapple juice!!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#58 : August 24, 2012, 06:20:00 AM

Pineapple juice!!

Eww.. Thats like covering BO with cologne

This guy...

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#59 : August 24, 2012, 10:26:18 AM

Pineapple juice!!

Oh the days of being conscious of your "taste" and chugging pineapple juice....

#marriage.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools