Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#90 : September 26, 2012, 11:05:43 AM

Using heat is for candyasses. Water will boil at 0 Celsius degrees if you remove all atmospheric pressure. Hence the phenomena of pump cavitation.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#91 : September 26, 2012, 11:13:21 AM

A chef from New Orleans taught me the recipe about twenty five years ago when I worked at the Don Cesar. That was about seven or eight bales ago and no way I remember it. Thyme, chili powder, hot paprika, white pepper, etc. Any restaurant worth a damn uses white pepper all the time, but surprisingly few people do at home. There are hundreds of kinds of chile powder, try some arbol or piquan, they're usually pretty **CENSORED**y. Paprika too is made from dried, ground up peppers, they're just not chiles. It can range from mild to burning hot. Get your butter just warm enough to melt, then have the fish cold. When you dip the fish in, the butter will gel on the fish, then dip it in your seasoning and straight into the hot pan. In between fish, dump the butter out and wipe the skillet with a paper towel. Burned butter tastes like crap. For that same reason, you'll want to use thin filets that cook quickly. Return the skillet to temp before adding more fish.

This is why I like picking your brain. Good stuff

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#92 : September 26, 2012, 11:49:43 AM

Keep in mind any "recipe" you get from me is an approximation. Sometimes a wild approximation. Once I've made something a few times I don't really follow the recipe anymore, I just make it up as I go. Experimentation is rampant. I will put chocolate and anchovies into the chili (quite good actually). Once, I was making coconut bread at the Adam's Mark and I asked the sous chef how much vanilla extract to put in. He said "A bloop and a blip." I knew just what he meant. Do they still have awesome seafood fettuccine there, or has the place gone downhill?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#93 : September 26, 2012, 11:53:16 AM

Exactly whenever I read any recipes, I rarely follow it verbatim.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#94 : September 26, 2012, 12:02:16 PM

Haven't been to the Adam's Mark in years. Sounds like you know your way around this area .

What the heck was/is the name of the bar that was in the back looking out on the Gulf?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#95 : September 26, 2012, 12:23:24 PM

The Tiki Deck or something, wasn't it? Don't remember for sure, but the employees lounge was right around the corner. People would sometimes think they were hiding there to change their swimsuits, but they were right outside the window and we could see them clearly. The guy who sold suntan oil by the pool was the happiest human being I've ever met. From the veranda on the tenth? floor you can see sharks cruising between the swimmers.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#96 : September 26, 2012, 12:39:59 PM

I guess, The Tiki (something) was the name of it. I just Googled it and from what I can tell the place was razed in about 2006. The last time I was there was in the mid to late 90's. But I could have sworn there was another name for that bar. One of the things I do remember are the calibre of women at that place. Holy jeez was that place ever a spot for the hotties. Going even further back it was at CWB when I first saw the new G string bikinis. I thought I had died and gone booty heaven.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#97 : September 26, 2012, 12:52:46 PM

Sopranos Sunday gravy.  Best red sauce you will ever have.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/56/Sopranos_Sunday_Gravy52124.shtml

1000 calories, 61 grams fat, 63 grams carbohydrates, 48 grams protein per serving.

Holy god. Hahaha

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#98 : September 26, 2012, 01:03:58 PM

Stats are for losers

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#99 : September 26, 2012, 01:10:37 PM

My best friend was the room service waiter. Best wingman ever! I was young then and the cougars were always on the prowl at that place. They invariably came in pairs. But the girls that worked there were pretty wild as well. I **CENSORED**ed the hostess under the buffet table once when we were supposed to be setting up Sunday brunch. Both of us were pretty drunk at the time.

Cooks, they're always thirsty.
Bartenders, they're always hungry.
Arrangements will be made.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#100 : September 26, 2012, 02:02:32 PM

Here's a quick and easy recipe anyone can do. It works well with cheap fish like Tilapia.

Preheat a nonstick pan.
Add a few drops of oil and place the fish in, non-skin side down.
Cooking on high, it won't take long until the fish is half done. Flip it over. Have the following ready to add in quick succession:
Butter
Crushed garlic
Dill
Capers
Small amount white wine (optional)
Lemon juice (careful about seeds if you're squeezing it over the pan)
When the fish is done, remove from heat and remove fish from pan. De-skin it if necessary. Non skin side up for presentation.
Add sour cream to sauce and stir.
Pour over fish.
: September 26, 2012, 02:08:52 PM Illuminator

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#101 : September 26, 2012, 03:16:43 PM

Now bubba the love sponges mother's cream pie is my favorite but I do love pecan pie and can't usually find it up here in Yankee country so I decided I had to make my own.  I've made guy gieri's recipe twice now and it has turned out great.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/southern-pecan-pie-recipe/index.html

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#102 : September 26, 2012, 03:17:51 PM

Okay, we're going old school Deutschland now, although this recipe was actually invented by meine mutter.

Kadoval and Glace

Cook some garlic sausage (sometimes referred to as German-style sausage). There used to be a place in Tarpon Springs that made great garlic sausage, don't know if it's still there. All beef is a lot better, but hard to find. Take a 10-12 inch section and chop it up. Set aside.

Make about a cup of pie dough. There are a million ways to go here. I use flour and butter. Add an egg and maybe a few spoonfuls of milk. I also put in just a touch of baking powder, but don't get carried away. I like to add cracked pepper here, but this is a great step for experimentation. Add whatever you want or nothing at all. I usually roll this out and cut it into small squares, but when it's time to cook this you can spoon it in if you're quick. Remember, it's going to swell up to about three times the uncooked size. Set aside.

Dice a large potato or a couple of small ones. Add to boiling water. When they're about half done, start adding the dough. This is a matter of timing and size. The smaller the pieces of potato and dough, the quicker they'll cook. You want them both to be finished at the same time. Work it out.

Drain the potatoes and doughwads. Add the garlic sausage and some chopped (white) onion, according to taste. Stir in a small container of sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

Even better reheated. Eat this every day and you should be able to gain about three hundred pounds a year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#103 : September 26, 2012, 03:41:55 PM

That actually sounds really good and probably fun to make.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#104 : September 26, 2012, 03:57:50 PM

it's a personal favorite. You could replace the doughwads with gnocchi, or maybe even try italian sausage.

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: anyone else here do the cooking? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools