Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan's hiring is hard to justify « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 18, 2012, 03:33:56 AM

Consensus among Giants fans is that his season was one of the worst defenses they can remember. It wasnt just points...they were getting gashed.

Wrong. Do some simple reading of posts from your fellow posters.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 18, 2012, 03:35:59 AM

While I don't like excuses, it is hard to say the guy is definitely a terrible coordinator given what happened that year.  First year coaching a unit with a superbowl hangover and massive injury issues, they lost well over half their starters for extended periods.  And as ADW points out there was a big discrepancy between points and yards.  Sometimes a head just has to roll.  Of course, sometimes someone is clearly so terrible that you can see the fail immediately and clearly put the blame legitimately on them (c.f. Morris, Raheem).  But i don't think anyone here has spent enouggh time watching the Giants before , during, and after his tenure to have a truly informed opinion of whethter it was him or the factors he couldn't control.  All people are going on is that he got canned after allowing a lot of points but respectable yardage.  The hire certainly does nothing to excite me, but I am taking a wait and see approach to this one.

Yes.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 18, 2012, 03:45:41 AM

Im taking a wait and see approach regarding Bill Sheridan. He was not my first choice and I think this is the least likable hire so far. However, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully we see a team that is much better then the crap we saw for 10 games there.  The defense can only get better from here.

Welcome aboard Sheridan. You have a very short leash so make the best of it.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 18, 2012, 05:37:17 AM

DTG pretty much covered most of why I'm not going to judge the guy until he's had a chance to coach our guys.

One thing I don;t get is quite a few people were hoping the Bucs were wiating to hire a HC because they wanted Perry Fewell, that guys defense just allowed 400 points during the season, was less banged up than Sheridans, allowed 800 more yards and worked with an offense that gave up 23% less turnovers.
Why would some be happy with that guy being our head coach but not with Sheridan as a DC that has help from Shiano & Davis?

boyer27

Practice Squad

#19 : February 18, 2012, 05:45:35 AM

Hmm, How long is Butch Davis' contract with NC? Is it possible this guy is sort of a lame duck DC until hes able to assume the role?

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 18, 2012, 06:19:41 AM

Hmm, How long is Butch Davis' contract with NC? Is it possible this guy is sort of a lame duck DC until hes able to assume the role?

I honestly believe that Davis is perfectly happy in an advisory role, and may not have the fire in his belly to coach again.

Zellination

Starter

#21 : February 18, 2012, 06:27:38 AM

I think the guy will suck....for sure...I know...

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 18, 2012, 06:48:39 AM

How good does he have to be to be an upgrade over what we had last year?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 18, 2012, 06:51:44 AM

big overreaction going on here.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 18, 2012, 06:55:22 AM

How good does he have to be to be an upgrade over what we had last year?
even if he had another 30th in points allowed year it is still better than being 32 like were were in 2011, which I believe was the worst in NFL history.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 18, 2012, 07:14:50 AM

While I don't like excuses, it is hard to say the guy is definitely a terrible coordinator given what happened that year.  First year coaching a unit with a superbowl hangover and massive injury issues, they lost well over half their starters for extended periods.  And as ADW points out there was a big discrepancy between points and yards.  Sometimes a head just has to roll.  Of course, sometimes someone is clearly so terrible that you can see the fail immediately and clearly put the blame legitimately on them (c.f. Morris, Raheem).  But i don't think anyone here has spent enouggh time watching the Giants before , during, and after his tenure to have a truly informed opinion of whethter it was him or the factors he couldn't control.  All people are going on is that he got canned after allowing a lot of points but respectable yardage.  The hire certainly does nothing to excite me, but I am taking a wait and see approach to this one.

I'm with doc with this one. I'm in a wait and see as well. The guy had to have something on the ball to get the job in New York, so he can't be all that bad of a coach. I'm of the opinion that there were other factors and with Schiano, Davis and Cox, Sheridan has plenty of strong support to succeed.
: February 18, 2012, 07:20:20 AM nitey

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#26 : February 18, 2012, 07:16:31 AM

Really hope Schiano and Davis know what they are doing with this hire.

Schiano and Davis will have a great amount of influence on Sheridan's defense.  I doubt that many potential DCs would be put-off with two guys hovering over his coaching, but Sheridan must be okay with it. In other words, he's going to run whatever Schiano and Davis want him to run.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 18, 2012, 07:22:57 AM

don't think Davis is going to have much of a role in the actual game planning and X and Os.  But if it makes you guys feel better go on believing it.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#28 : February 18, 2012, 07:24:02 AM

He will after our first blowout.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 18, 2012, 07:31:53 AM

Davis has only been a DC once in his college/pro career.  the 93-94 seasons with Dallas.  It's not like he is the be all and end all of DCs.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan's hiring is hard to justify « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools