Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan's hiring is hard to justify « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 18, 2012, 07:39:14 AM

How good our defense is going to be will have a lot more to do with the moves we make to fill all our holes than the D/C we just hired.

The real test is will we improve our talent level in free agency this offseason... If not , you could hire Bill Bellichick and this defense would still suck.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 18, 2012, 07:56:44 AM

Well how many better options are left out there? And if there is a more viable option, he probably looked at Butch Davis, the NC thing, and the fact that he was being offered 2 years and said no thanks. I dont want to be a stop gap until Butch feels like he misses coaching, or until NC is done paying him.

DailyRich68

Starter
#32 : February 18, 2012, 08:13:17 AM

A sudden drop like that might mean that Sheridan walked into a defense a little too comfortable with itself and the way Spagnuolo did things, tried to shake things up and hold people accountable, and some pampered superstars didn't like it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 18, 2012, 09:32:42 AM

How good our defense is going to be will have a lot more to do with the moves we make to fill all our holes than the D/C we just hired.

The real test is will we improve our talent level in free agency this offseason... If not , you could hire Bill Bellichick and this defense would still suck.

Ask Philly about how the DC doesn't matter. Or HOU.

He matters and he was abominable in New York. I've read more on him and nothing good has popped on him. Now the only good news is he might just be puppet for others but then again the thought that Schiano will run the show as a "acting" DC doesn't thrill me after our last tilt at that windmill.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 18, 2012, 10:56:54 AM

Okay, this is my take on the Sheridan hiring.

It has already been established that Schiano and Tom Coughlin are friends (and some reports indicate that they are good friends), the fact that Coughlin could have blocked the hiring of Sullivan, can be seen as a sign that he's willing to help out Schiano. Also, Sullivan was also in New York at the same time Sheridan was the defensive Coordinator.

I think we can agree that with two Superbowl wins, Tom Coughlin can be considered a pretty good coach and he promoted Sheridan when there were other options available. I have little doubt that Sheridan IS a good coach. I also think that Schiano got favorable feedback from both Coughlin and Sullivan prior to the hire. Schiano has a defensive background and by all accounts is a hands on coach, so Sheridan will not be left without guidance. Although Butch Davis isn't going to coach, I suspect that between Schiano and Davis, Sheridan will have a very clear philosophy to follow and assuming that he IS a good coach and teacher - he should have plenty of experience to rely on to get this defense going in the right direction.

I'm still in a wait and see mode on Sheridan, but I don't consider it a bad hire at the moment considering the other staff brought on board. There were still many other former DC's out there that Schiano could have hired that may have had more famous names, but may not have been as good of coaches. I'm assuming that Sheridan learned something from his last stint as DC and probably knows that if he fails here, his coaching career is pretty much done in the NFL. So, if he is a good coach, he learned from the past mistakes and will be a better DC because of it.

And lets face it, he'll be facing a lot less pressure here. Becoming the DC after a Superbowl win and having one of the best defenses and players and position coaches that loved it's prior DC might be a pretty hard act to follow, especially in New York.

Here, we pretty much have no where to go but up.

JMO.
: February 18, 2012, 10:59:31 AM nitey

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

TB-BucFan4Life

Starter

#35 : February 18, 2012, 11:33:11 AM

Bill Sheridan's hiring is hard to justify

Feb 17, 2012 6:57 PM EST

Tim Roske - AP
New York Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan speaks with reporters atNFL football training camp in Albany, N.Y., on Sunday, Aug. 2, 2009.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made it official now: Bill Sheridan is indeed their new defensive coordinator. According to Adam Caplan, he has signed a two-year agreement, which would make his room for error not all that great. And that's a good thing, because there's not a lot of reason to suspect he'll do well in Tampa.

As a linebackers coach he has had a decent but not spectacular career. The New York Giants defense was never renowned for its linebackers while Sheridan coached them, although he has certainly done a good job with the Miami Dolphins' linebackers the past two years. His one year as defensive coordinator for the New York Giants is very concerning, however. He took over that defense after Steve Spagnuolo left following the 2008 season.

In 2008, the New York Giants had the 8th ranked defense by Football Outsiders numbers. When Sheridan took over they plummeted to 21st, while they vaulted back up to third place as soon as he left. That's not exactly encouraging, and New York Giants fans certainly don't think he's very good at his job, to put it mildly.

There are two reasons to be a little more hopeful, though: Greg Schiano and Butch Davis are likely to have a big say on the defense. The second reason: the Bucs confirmed the hiring of Bryan Cox, who should at least bring a nasty attitude to that defense, if nothing else.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/2/17/2807050/bill-sheridans-hiring-is-hard-to-justify

Lets face it guys. Anything is better than what we had last season. I can't see how Sheridan could do any worse than that. It's going to come down to what these coaches can teach in practice. If they can teach the players to get rid of the bad habits they acquired under the former coaching regime then there is nowhere to go but, up. I heard Tampa had the sloppiest practices in the league last year and that is surely to change.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 18, 2012, 12:15:20 PM

It has already been established that Schiano and Tom Coughlin are friends (and some reports indicate that they are good friends), the fact that Coughlin could have blocked the hiring of Sullivan, can be seen as a sign that he's willing to help out Schiano. Also, Sullivan was also in New York at the same time Sheridan was the defensive Coordinator.

I think we can agree that with two Superbowl wins, Tom Coughlin can be considered a pretty good coach and he promoted Sheridan when there were other options available. I have little doubt that Sheridan IS a good coach. I also think that Schiano got favorable feedback from both Coughlin and Sullivan prior to the hire. Schiano has a defensive background and by all accounts is a hands on coach, so Sheridan will not be left without guidance. Although Butch Davis isn't going to coach, I suspect that between Schiano and Davis, Sheridan will have a very clear philosophy to follow and assuming that he IS a good coach and teacher - he should have plenty of experience to rely on to get this defense going in the right direction.

I'm still in a wait and see mode on Sheridan, but I don't consider it a bad hire at the moment considering the other staff brought on board. There were still many other former DC's out there that Schiano could have hired that may have had more famous names, but may not have been as good of coaches. I'm assuming that Sheridan learned something from his last stint as DC and probably knows that if he fails here, his coaching career is pretty much done in the NFL. So, if he is a good coach, he learned from the past mistakes and will be a better DC because of it.

And lets face it, he'll be facing a lot less pressure here. Becoming the DC after a Superbowl win and having one of the best defenses and players and position coaches that loved it's prior DC might be a pretty hard act to follow, especially in New York.

JMO.

Good post.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 18, 2012, 12:19:53 PM

The key word with all of the Bucs hiring, including Sheridan, is...at least in my opinion, "teach". My take is that Sheridan has been hired to teach Schiano's vision of a defense.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#38 : February 18, 2012, 02:00:57 PM

JMO.

^^this^^

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 18, 2012, 02:42:57 PM

Shiano, Davis, Sheriden, over Morris has to be a better situation. A healthy defensive roster with a shakeup of personnel in the LB and DB crews should also improve things. It may not be fun to watch, but it will certainly be interesting. I know I will pay to see it.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#40 : February 18, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

will the guy serve as a puppet for Schiano and Davis- they call the shots, he implements the plan?

nitey

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 18, 2012, 04:00:17 PM

No I don't think so Morgan. Schiano doesn't strike me as the type that would do that to someone.

Sheridan will be the DC, and either he'll be up to the job in all respects or Schiano will replace him with someone who will. Remember Schiano's DC at Rutgers is also on the staff, so he has in season backup if necessary.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 18, 2012, 04:03:25 PM

Schiano will be heavily involved in the defensive game-planning, but I'm willing to bet that Sheridan will call the plays on game day (with Schiano having veto power, of course).

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 18, 2012, 04:42:06 PM

Really hope Schiano and Davis know what they are doing with this hire.

Me too!

In 2008, the New York Giants had the 8th ranked defense by Football Outsiders numbers. When Sheridan took over they plummeted to 21st, while they vaulted back up to third place as soon as he left.

This part really scares me!  I know "stats are for losers" but they also never lie ... very concerning and it looks more like they just made a hire because of pressure from the media and fan base w/ the combine starting next week.  a 2 year deal looks like a very very short leash.   

spartan

Hall of Famer
#44 : February 18, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

JMO.

I also pretty much agree with this, with the exception that maybe Coughlin and Sullivan probably did not directly promote Sheridan. However I am pretty convinced that Schiano spoke to Sullivan and Coughlin about him and they said that either he was the victim of circumstance, fell on his sword or something of that ilk. I mean if Sullivan really was that bad, don't you think one of them would have said something?

I hope history will prove me correct and I am not being overly optimistic, but it does seem a tad overly coincidental.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan's hiring is hard to justify « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools