Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Is Mike Wallace worth the fifth overall draft pick" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 20, 2012, 12:17:02 AM

Draft Blackmon and pay him $4M a year or use the pick to get Wallace and pay him $10M a year. Which is the better option? I'd go with Blackmon.

If we'd just drafted Wallace instead of Roy Miller in 2009 we wouldn't be having this discussion. We had just drafted our franchise QB, we had nothing but Antonio Bryant, and we reached for a very average DT instead of drafting Mike Wallace in the 3rd round. Brilliant. Oh well, I know I wanted Wallace but even if we had taken a WR....Dennis Hickey would have probably had some other WR rated higher than Wallace anyways.

Two completely different players though.  Wallace is faster than hell, something like 4.3.   Blackmon will be lucky to break 4.5 this week at the combine.  His speed will be well watched this week.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 20, 2012, 01:09:18 AM

I'd be ok with it IF..

They get compensation other than Wallace himself. Maybe some other picks to offset the high value of the #5 overall.

They know Blackmon will be gone (or not worth it) and Vjax/Deshawn/Bowe won't come no matter how much $ the Glazers bribe them with.

Either way, the Bucs need an impact signing(s) to arouse the fanbase into buying tickets again. Obviously no one wants to come here willingly, which is why the draft-first approach was taken. It's about the only time you can "force" a player to play for you. Being that (in a trade) the player's agent has a say, It's doubtful any trade would get done with the Bucs.

If a major FA signs with the Bucs, I'd have a ton of respect for them though. They wouldn't be riding on the coatails of others to obtain their success.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 20, 2012, 08:13:21 AM

Draft Blackmon and pay him $4M a year or use the pick to get Wallace and pay him $10M a year. Which is the better option? I'd go with Blackmon.

If we'd just drafted Wallace instead of Roy Miller in 2009 we wouldn't be having this discussion. We had just drafted our franchise QB, we had nothing but Antonio Bryant, and we reached for a very average DT instead of drafting Mike Wallace in the 3rd round. Brilliant. Oh well, I know I wanted Wallace but even if we had taken a WR....Dennis Hickey would have probably had some other WR rated higher than Wallace anyways.

Two completely different players though.  Wallace is faster than hell, something like 4.3.   Blackmon will be lucky to break 4.5 this week at the combine.  His speed will be well watched this week.

You are right, they are two completely different players. Wallace is a good receiver with blazing speed and Blackmon is an elite pass catcher with great strength and average speed.

Wallace is comparable to Joey Galloway while Blackmon is comparable to Larry Fitzgerald.

I'll take Blackmon. Elite top end speed is nice but overrated.

scoooo

Rookie
#18 : February 20, 2012, 08:17:19 AM

It looks like the Steelers won't be Franchising Wallace....so the 1st round tender will remain.  Clearly we won't give the 5th overall pick for him (at least I hope not).  But how about Dom offers this year's 2nd and next year's 2nd in a trade?  The Steelers have to be concerned that a division rival like the Ravens or an AFC powerhouse like the Patriots will offer him a front loaded contract that they can't match.  Those teams have low first round picks and surely believe Wallace is worth that.  I think the Steelers might consider this offer if it looks like they might lose Wallace to the Ravens or Pats. 

scoooo

Rookie
#19 : February 20, 2012, 08:38:38 AM

Really?  I didn't see anyone saying we should offer two 2nds....I say it deserves its own post.  Dom should make this offer.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 20, 2012, 08:53:52 AM

Don't be upset with JDub, this is all on Coach Schiano. He has brought discipline to this board that hasn't been seen in years!  However, I do agree with him, this should be in the original Wallace thread. I would offer a 2nd this year and a 4th next year

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#21 : February 20, 2012, 09:17:09 AM

Maybe for our high 2nd.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 20, 2012, 09:28:23 AM

The answer to this question is exactly the same as if you say Bowe instead of Wallace... YES, ABSOLUTELY!!!   Simply, if you put Wallace in this draft, and assuming there are no trades, Wallace (or Bowe), would go #2 to the Rams... 100% guaranteed.  So, by getting either of them at #5, it's a good value.  Both Wallace and Bowe, as I've said before, are 100% locks to pan out where as Blackmon or any other draft pick are at best 50%.  Sign the player, trade the pick, and be done with it.  Chances are that the Steelers or Chiefs would likely be willing to give the Bucs back a 4th round pick (maybe a 3rd), if they know they aren't getting their WR back and getting the #5 pick.

scoooo

Rookie
#23 : February 20, 2012, 09:34:34 AM

I just think we need to take Claiborne if he is there at #5, our need is just too great.  Giving up our high second this year and next year's 2nd would be a no brainer though.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 20, 2012, 11:50:06 AM

This thread is laughable.

Soul Bro

Pro Bowler
#25 : February 20, 2012, 08:58:47 PM

I'd be happy if we traded down to secure a second first rounder, which we then used to secure MW through a long-term deal.  I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson fell.  Ending up with Richardson and MW through the leverage of our #5 would be oh so sweet. 

BayAreaBuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 20, 2012, 09:09:38 PM

lol mike wallace for the #5 pick? hell no

#Mikey2Quarters

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 20, 2012, 09:21:12 PM

Really? Why not? No matter who you like there is a 50-50 shot he's a bust. Wallace is a known proven top end NFL player. 

People overvalue draft picks.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 20, 2012, 09:44:24 PM

He's 25 and proven to be a #1 and stretch the field type player. Easily a player the Bucs and Freeman could use.  Benn and Williams would benefit largely from a Wallace type player.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 20, 2012, 09:54:40 PM

I think the Bengals end up stealing him from their division rival since they have two first round picks. Aj Green, Mike Wallace, and David Wilson? Cincy could have a sick offense.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Is Mike Wallace worth the fifth overall draft pick" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools