Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Justin Blackmon runs a 4.65 at the combine « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 21, 2012, 06:28:43 PM

No. Doesn't mean he still can't be good , but you don't risk a top 5 pick on a slow WR in most cases . Especially a slow WR who is only 6'1.

Very well said, unless there is a Calvin Johnson kind of talent, investing a #5 on a WR isn't usually smart investment, especially when the prospect brings pretty a little more than what we already have in Mike Williams and Benn.

Cool sig btw.

Thanks  ;D

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 21, 2012, 06:33:26 PM

No. Doesn't mean he still can't be good , but you don't risk a top 5 pick on a slow WR in most cases . Especially a slow WR who is only 6'1.

Very well said, unless there is a Calvin Johnson kind of talent, investing a #5 on a WR isn't usually smart investment, especially when the prospect brings pretty a little more than what we already have in Mike Williams and Benn.

Cool sig btw.

From a man who wants to draft and RB at #5. Wow.

10 years ago you might have been right but that ship has sailed.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

sharp2325

Starter

#17 : February 21, 2012, 06:37:30 PM

If Blackmon is there at 5, and he is our highest rated player you take him. Blackmon is a better prospect then Williams or Benn coming out of college. You can't  tell me drafting him won't make our offense more explosive. You put Blackmon on the field with Williams, Briscoe, Benn there is no doubt that there should be a mismatch to exploit somewhere. Then you draft Fleener in the 2nd and Pead in the 3rd and we have the makings of a very explosive offense if we strengthen the o-line.

lowlife

Starter
#18 : February 21, 2012, 06:42:10 PM

I've never considered him a Top 5 pick.
Even that said, any 40 time he ran wouldn't affect my opinion.

After Haden ran a 4.6, I still had him going to Cleveland at 7. 40 times aren't **CENSORED**.
The only parts that matter are the positional drills, weigh-ins, medical checks, and interviews.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 21, 2012, 06:44:36 PM

If Blackmon is there at 5, and he is our highest rated player you take him. Blackmon is a better prospect then Williams or Benn coming out of college. You can't  tell me drafting him won't make our offense more explosive. You put Blackmon on the field with Williams, Briscoe, Benn there is no doubt that there should be a mismatch to exploit somewhere. Then you draft Fleener in the 2nd and Pead in the 3rd and we have the makings of a very explosive offense if we strengthen the o-line.

We can get Wr's who are just as good as Blackmon in free agency this year . We can't get a RB as good as Richardson , or a corner as good as Claiborne.

It would be a stupid pick , IMO.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 21, 2012, 06:54:36 PM

We can get Wr's who are just as good as Blackmon in free agency this year . We can't get a RB as good as Richardson , or a corner as good as Claiborne.

You are assuming that the FA recievers will come here and be great and you are assuming Blackmon won't be great. It's just guess work and opinions that you are stating as fact.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 21, 2012, 06:57:44 PM

You are assuming that the FA recievers will come here and be great and you are assuming Blackmon won't be great. It's just guess work and opinions that you are stating as fact.

Well , if we fail to sign any good Wr's , and Blackmon doesn't poop himself at the combine , come talk to me again and I'll be more receptive to the pick.

Fact is I think our offense is better with VIncent jackson than it is with Blackmon.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 21, 2012, 06:59:18 PM

Well , if we fail to sign any good Wr's , and Blackmon doesn't poop himself at the combine , come talk to me again and I'll be more receptive to the pick.

Fact is I think our offense is better with VIncent jackson than it is with Blackmon.

That is a fair and reasonable opinion, and could very well be true....it's just not fact.

sharp2325

Starter

#23 : February 21, 2012, 07:00:57 PM

Speed isn't the only thing that gets recievers open. Strength and route running ability will get you open more often then straight up speed will. Speed is great but if you don't know how to use it or lack the strength to get off press coverage it does you very little. If Blackmon is avaiable at 5, I hope to see him in pewter and red instead of being rookie of the year on someone else's team.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 21, 2012, 09:35:20 PM

Blackmon might be the next Anquan Boldin. He might be Roy Williams. But I think he is a stud. Some of the things he did in college are remarkable.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 21, 2012, 09:43:49 PM

I don't think Blackmon fizzles out like Rashaun Woods because he has the drive and is a competitor.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#26 : March 09, 2012, 12:35:21 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7402/justin-blackmon

Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon reportedly ran his first unofficial forty in the 4.45-4.50 range at the team's Friday Pro Day.

His second forty was in the neighborhood of 4.41 to 4.46. This is undoubtedly a quick time for Blackmon, who declined to run at the Combine after a hamstring tweak. Blackmon rarely was able to show off this kind of straight line speed in college while consistently facing off coverage that allowed quick completions. Keep in mind certain teams could add as much as .1 of a second onto this forty because of the notorious fast track at Stillwater. Without a clear top receiver in this class, Blackmon certainly has the production to warrant being the first one selected.
: March 09, 2012, 12:39:52 PM bucfan26

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 09, 2012, 12:45:43 PM

so he's probably a 4.5-4.55 guy.  adequate.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 09, 2012, 12:48:19 PM

fwiw, Bucky Brook said this morning on the NFLN that he thought a few years from now Micheal Floyd would be considered the best WR out of this class.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 09, 2012, 12:48:35 PM

I don't think WR is a big need this offseason

Agreed. I'm more concerned with the play of the QB.

Having said that, Blackmon ran in the 4.4-4.5 range. Impressive.

: March 09, 2012, 12:50:43 PM Hate

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Justin Blackmon runs a 4.65 at the combine « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools