Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan Introductory Press Conference - 11AM EST « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #15 : February 21, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

Just a few minutes in and he already has me sold.

"More importantly, be DEMANDING of them (to do their job)."

YES!

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

DailyRich68

Starter
« #16 : February 21, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »

I really like how he owned that season with the Giants and admits he made some mistakes.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #17 : February 21, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »

Bill Sheridan happy to run Schiano's defense

Greg Schiano won’t be the Bucs’ defensive coordinator and likely won’t be making play calls during games. But make no mistake: The Bucs will be playing his defense, not Bill Sheridan’s.

That much was made clear by Sheridan today in his first meeting with Tampa Bay reporters at One Buc Place.

Sheridan, hired by the Bucs as defensive coordinator on Friday, said today that he welcomes the assistance of Schiano and special assistant Butch Davis as he takes on his new role.

“I think our defense, it’s going to be Greg Schiano’s defense because he’s our head coach and I’m coordinating for him,” Sheridan said.

“Obviously he hired me because he thinks I have a lot of experience, knowledge and competence, and he’s relying on that as well. “I’m excited about jumping into it and trying to mesh our ideas. But it’s Greg’s defense for sure. He was an outstanding defensive coach long before he was ever coach at Rutgers.”

Schiano’s decision to hire Sheridan was made in spite of Sheridan’s shortcomings as a defensive coordinator with the Giants in 2009. Sheridan came into his news conference prepared to deal with questions about that season, in which his unit yielded the second-most points in franchise history, leading to his firing after the season.

He outlined several reasons he believed that defense faltered, emphasizing that he’d learned important lessons that will serve him well in Tampa Bay.

“I took and take full responsibility for the fact that we didn’t play good enough defense at the end of the year when I was coordinating that year,” Sheridan said. “Because I was put in charge of that, and the bottom line, at the end of the year, we didn’t keep people out of the end zone well enough to be successful.”

So, what happened?

“Even though we started out the season 5-0 and we had the No. 1-ranked defense in the National Football League after sustaining a couple of season-ending injuries to some of starters – Antonio Pierce, Kenny Phillips. . . we started to falter and we hit a skid during the middle of the season,” Sheridan said. “In hindsight, looking back, I think one of the things we probably did was we assumed, as a defensive staff, we assumed because we had made the playoffs four previous years . . . that things would get turned around, they would get better.”

Sheridan said his staff made another important miscalculation.

“I think the second thing that happened as we sustained those injuries in the early to middle part of the year, in an attempt to help some of the new players we were bringing in and working with, and some of them were free agents that were on the street and we ended up having to bring them in and they played in our lineup at the end of the year, I think we tried to be very simple for them,” he said. “But in hindsight, I think we may have been guilty of maybe being too simple. Because again, it’s great for your own players that you present to them a simplistic scheme that they can execute on Sunday, but you’re also not posing enough issues for the teams you play against. You’re not giving them enough problems.”

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/bill-sheridan-happy-run-schianos-defense
« : February 21, 2012, 12:30:15 PM morgan »

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #18 : February 21, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

He also said Free agency is important every off-season. :D

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #19 : February 21, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Does anyone honestly put much stock into a freaking presser?  Yeah...Morris's was awful but how many coaches have said nearly the same darn thing.  Aggressive...physical...I mean has anyone come and out and said we want to be weak and give up a lot of points and yards???  If a presser makes you feel better well.....that f-in hilarious.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #20 : February 21, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »

I love how he made excuses...awesome....

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #21 : February 21, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »

Just a few minutes in and he already has me sold.

"More importantly, be DEMANDING of them (to do their job)."

YES!

Did you say the same about Morris?  Did you eat it up when he used the word youngry?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #22 : February 21, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »

Why shouldn't it? He could have totally been vague like a lot of Jackasses and in stead was, I feel, refreshingly honest about FA, his past and our future. He even admitted we need to tackle better.

Yeah, I did like Morris, but I liked Sheridan's honesty here...is that wrong?
« : February 21, 2012, 12:35:25 PM Beatles123 »

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #23 : February 21, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

Beatles would be positive about a head coach hire, even if his name was Ahmadinejad........

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #24 : February 21, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »

Beatles would be positive about a head coach hire, even if his name was Ahmadinejad........
Ask me how I felt when Kelly turned us down. I get mad more often than you think.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #25 : February 21, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

Well, you've accomplished one thing: Now I don't even want to finish the presser. It really is depressing to know that should anyone want to feel positive you'd sooner call them pathetic.

Don't worry though, I'll balance people like you out. Somebody's gotta actually be excited. :D
« : February 21, 2012, 12:45:09 PM Beatles123 »

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #26 : February 21, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »

We'll as for an opening presser...   I'm encouraged.

One common theme I keep 'hearing' is competence and accountability.   

Looking forward to watching this play out over the next couple of seasons.

Sure to be an interesting time as a Bucs fan.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #27 : February 21, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »

Does anyone honestly put much stock into a freaking presser?  Yeah...Morris's was awful but how many coaches have said nearly the same darn thing.  Aggressive...physical...I mean has anyone come and out and said we want to be weak and give up a lot of points and yards???  If a presser makes you feel better well.....that f-in hilarious.

LMAO . . . right on cue . . . "somebody please pay attention to me!"

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #28 : February 21, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »

Yes, we can be excited about seeing a stable of coaches whose primary focus is discipline. Why? Because every single person on this board mentioned it as something they wanted from the new coaching staff.

It's encouraging to also see all of them talk about teaching and communicating. Schiano said, "It's not important what your coaches know, it's important what your players know," and he has assembled a group of coaches who obviously feel the same way.

Why wouldn't that be encouraging to you? Anomaly, go into the other room, put your Indigo Girls Live at the Lillith Fair (Commemorative Edition) album on and try wearing a sundress today instead of those gloomy Birkenstocks. I promise you'll feel better soon.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #29 : February 21, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »

I really enjoyed that PC

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Sheridan Introductory Press Conference - 11AM EST « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools