Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Truth or Cynicism? « previous next »
Page: 1

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« : February 21, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »

Truth or Cynicism?

I'm not one to watch much TV news, in fact, I have never seen this show.
However, someone sent this clip of "Freedom Watch" w/ Judge Andrew Napolitano
from Fox Business News which I found interesting. It's a 4 minute commentary on our two party system.

**R. Paul is mentioned at the end. However I am not posting it for that purpose.**

Is Napolitano right or cynical or just plain wrong?

Obviously if I am posting this then some of this resonates w/ me. I am curious
as to what others think.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 21, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »

he's a worry-wart

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 21, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »

It's simpletons like the above poster that keep the two-party system in place.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 22, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »

It's simpletons like the above poster that keep the two-party system in place.
Well that pretty much nails it.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 25, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 25, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »

We don't make major lurches in policy from one president to the next but not many governments do.  No one comes in and radically reshapes an entire set of polices except under rare cases (FDR) still the idea that the government of Reagan vs Obama is the same is insane.

The two party system does encourage a drive to the middle because you must win the middle to win elections. The middle however mostly doesn't exist. The single highest factor in a self described independent voter isn't: race, religion, geography, income, education, gender or job but not reading a newspaper. The thing is adding a legit 3rd part under our scheme doesn't really add much - you get more minority will governments as winning with < 50% becomes possible (and in fact would have to be common), then nin congress where 2 parties make things ugly 3 would make things even worse.

The problem is that if you have a parliamentary system unless you get a majority in one party then you have to build a coalition and coalitions tend to not make major changes either.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 25, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »

Letting "the right to petition government" turn into 'the right for lobbyists to bribe government' is the main problem in my view.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 25, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »

We have two fully entrenched joined at the hip entities that are not going anywhere anytime soon, establishing a system by which they both agree to play within. Each one has identified a few hot button issues that superficially separate them but when all is said and done outside of a few social issues and some mostly superficial economic jive it's all window dressing. Both sides remain true to upholding the same illusion and lobby interests so nothing really changes. The sad part is if "everyone" decided to "throw all the bums out" even the most well intentioned newbies that do replace them are still beholden to the "culture of corruption" that the last guy was.....What a freakin' conundrum.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Truth or Cynicism? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools