Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Claiborne in contention for the fastest man at the combine « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #30 : February 23, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »

Claiborne isnt the top CB because he can jam good. He has the best coverage skills in college. Believe it or not if you list the top 5 corners in the nfl, they may be 5 pounds heavier or the same weight as Claiborne.
 So what he has to adjust his game to the nfl rules. Guess what. Every college player turning pro has to deal with nfl rules that didnt exist in college. Detrimental it sounds like you just dont want Claiborne and you are trying to come up with reasons not to like him.
« : February 23, 2012, 08:41:45 AM buchead »

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #31 : February 23, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »

Claiborne isnt the top CB because he can jam good. He has the best coverage skills in college.believe it or not if you list the top 5 corners in the nfl, they may be 5 pounds or the same weight as Claiborne.
 So what he has to adjust his game to the nfl rules. Guess what. Every college player turning pro has to deal with nfl rules that didnt exist in college. Detrimental it sounds like you just dont want Claiborne and you are trying to come up with reasons not to like him.
I've said many times I wouldn't mind Claiborne. In fact, I voted for him in the poll recently. No kidding but how many college corners were putting hands on WR's 5+ yards down the field like MoClay? Not many. In the NFL that's illegal contact every time.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
« #32 : February 23, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »

I don't think Det is saying he is against Claiborne.  Just saying if you are going to draft a CB that high he better be special and able to lockdown a WR by himself.  Personally I think he CAN but time will tell.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #33 : February 23, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

Yea right. Simply putting your arm out to feel for a WR while your running down field is not against college rules. So why (according to you) is Clay the only corner doing this?
 He isnt. Its taught in college. And high school. Its called an arm bar. To say not many CBs (besides the best one) doesnt touch WRs down field is pretty much a flat out lie. Thats why I said it seems like your looking for reasons to bash Claiborne. Its a ridiculous statement to suggest the best cover guy in college "touches", not hold, not push, but touches WRs down field but nobody else does..... Right.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #34 : February 23, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

I don't think Det is saying he is against Claiborne.  Just saying if you are going to draft a CB that high he better be special and able to lockdown a WR by himself.  Personally I think he CAN but time will tell.
Thanks jeff.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
« #35 : February 23, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »

Lol Revis STILL arm bars all the time......just doesn't get called :P

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #36 : February 23, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »

Yea right. Simply putting your arm out to feel for a WR while your running down field is not against college rules. So why (according to you) is Clay the only corner doing this?
 He isnt. Its taught in college. And high school. Its caller an arm bar. To say not many CBs (besides the best one) doesnt touch WRs down field is pretty much a flat out lie. Thats why I said it seems like your looking for reasons to bash Claiborne. Its a ridiculous statement to suggest the best cover guy in college "touches", not hold, not push, but touches WRs down field but nobody else does..... Right.
I'm not talking about reaching out for feel. He literally still jams guys down the field with his arms. (Not often but does in games, see the game vs Georgia)
« : February 23, 2012, 09:00:11 AM Detrimental »

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler
« #37 : February 23, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

Hope he even makes it to us...

watson

Hall of Famer
« #38 : February 23, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »

I don't think he'll have any problems jamming at the next level.  He may not be the biggest corner but he plays physical enough imo.
You can be as physical as the rules allow, but physics says giving up 40 pounds to a receiver like Brandon Marshall or V Jax, etc is not a good way to succeed.  I agree is well built, but so are they and in those instances the bigger player has the advantage.  In the NFL, that arm bar he likes to use will be swatted away by the pro receivers.   That is if he doesn't get called for interference.....IMO.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #39 : February 23, 2012, 09:10:51 AM »

Maybe I've watched to many LSU games, but to me his weight isnt a real issue. I mean, how many 200 pounders are playing corner in the NFL? Hell, do the bucs even have a safety over 200? Idk what the average weight is for starting CBs in the nfl, but if you are between 180-200 I think that is ideal.
 Even if he is to skinny he is still 6 ft tall wich is a huge plus at corner. Most guys with 6 ft of height and his speed are on the other side of the ball.
 He is going to look so good in pewter. He should get number 21. I can see it now!

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
« #40 : February 23, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »

Zach Brown hinted he would run a sub 4.5. Would you be impressed if he does indeed run a sub 4.5 in the 40

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #41 : February 23, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »

Claiborne isn't what I consider to be wiry.  I wish I had arms like that.

I've also known some wiry guys that were strong as hell.

Agree.  Dre Kirkpatrick is more of stringbean than Mo.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #42 : February 23, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

I don't think he'll have any problems jamming at the next level.  He may not be the biggest corner but he plays physical enough imo.
You can be as physical as the rules allow, but physics says giving up 40 pounds to a receiver like Brandon Marshall or V Jax, etc is not a good way to succeed.  I agree is well built, but so are they and in those instances the bigger player has the advantage.  In the NFL, that arm bar he likes to use will be swatted away by the pro receivers.   That is if he doesn't get called for interference.....IMO.

This Claiborne is bigger than Ronde, and Ronde always did a decent job on bigger, stronger guys, even TE's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #43 : February 23, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »

This Claiborne is bigger than Ronde, and Ronde always did a decent job on bigger, stronger guys, even TE's.

Exactly.  It's a matter of want-to.  MC is great because he is not afraid to mix it up against whoever his opponent is, like Ronde.  If you've seen him hit, there is not doubt.  He plays bigger than his size.  That's called heart.   I'll take that anytime.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
« #44 : February 23, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »

I really like Claiborne but I'm afraid he will be gone @#5. If Luck, Claiborne, Kalil  and RG3 go in some order of top 4 then we are gonna have to pick between the 2nd best OL or CB or roll the dice on the Top WR or RB.
« : February 23, 2012, 01:26:45 PM Bucko40 »
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Claiborne in contention for the fastest man at the combine « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools