Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did Freeman get criticized properly for his performance in 2011? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

: February 23, 2012, 08:23:30 AM

Sorry but I have to ask. I notice fans are always blaming either the OL or the WR corps for last years performance. At the same time I rarely hear people throw Freeman under the bus when he deserves some criticism. Now don't get me wrong, all the players on this team were bound by a knuckle-head coaching staff. However, Freeman was ranked for the following:
- 19 of 33 for QB's getting sacked this season
- 23 of 33 for QB's throwing 20+ yards.
- tied at 25 for QB's throwing 40+ yards
- 2nd in interceptions

I really like Freeman but at the same time I think he gets an undeserving pass from fans that other players don't get.

Thought?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_AVERAGE_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2011&Submit=Go&experience=null&archive=false&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&qualified=true
: February 23, 2012, 08:35:13 AM BucfanNC12

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 23, 2012, 08:46:05 AM

He did by me.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 23, 2012, 09:51:42 AM

I was just about to start a Freeman thread after listening to Bill Pollian talk QBs on Sirius this morning. He said Peyton did become Peyton until his 5th year and he needed Dungy to come in and refocus him. Pollian said you have to give QBs 4 years and of course the more weapons you put around your QB the better he will be, he said once they gof Stokley that was big for Peyton. I know I was really critical of Free this year but these comments coming from someone as knowledgeable as Pollian has me willing to see how Free does this year espacially if they add a deep threat.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 23, 2012, 10:19:59 AM

Sorry but I have to ask. I notice fans are always blaming either the OL or the WR corps for last years performance. At the same time I rarely hear people throw Freeman under the bus when he deserves some criticism. Now don't get me wrong, all the players on this team were bound by a knuckle-head coaching staff. However, Freeman was ranked for the following:
- 19 of 33 for QB's getting sacked this season
- 23 of 33 for QB's throwing 20+ yards.
- tied at 25 for QB's throwing 40+ yards
- 2nd in interceptions

I really like Freeman but at the same time I think he gets an undeserving pass from fans that other players don't get.

Thought?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_AVERAGE_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2011&Submit=Go&experience=null&archive=false&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&qualified=true

Actually, I have seen quite a bit of criticism thrown Freeman's way on TRB the past few months. Yes, he played poorly. Yes, he needs to take a portion of the blame. We can only hope that with competent coaching and a few added weapons he turns things around. I believe he will, but for now we'll put that in the "TBD" file.
: February 23, 2012, 10:22:05 AM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 23, 2012, 10:27:44 AM

An old school coach probably would have benched him early in the season and it was probably exactly what he needed. Not because he's not the guy, but because on 1st down at the goal line you can't just throw a jump ball where there are 7 Falcons in the area. There were other times he was throwing to the first read without even looking at the defense.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 23, 2012, 10:38:09 AM

I was just about to start a Freeman thread after listening to Bill Pollian talk QBs on Sirius this morning. He said Peyton did become Peyton until his 5th year and he needed Dungy to come in and refocus him. Pollian said you have to give QBs 4 years and of course the more weapons you put around your QB the better he will be, he said once they gof Stokley that was big for Peyton. I know I was really critical of Free this year but these comments coming from someone as knowledgeable as Pollian has me willing to see how Free does this year espacially if they add a deep threat.

Yeah, I heard that same garbage too.  Made me laugh.  13-3 in his 2nd year and 10-6 in his 3rd, was actually better his 3rd than in his 6th.  He completed over 62% each year and over 4,000 yards.  Yeah, it took him 5 years, give me a break. ::)  Stokley!!!  Are you kidding me?  Yeah, 1200 yards from Wayne, 1100 from Harrison (27 td's between them), and 2000 yard 9 TD season from Edge, and the reason for that big year was Stokley!!  Hahahaha, what a load of crap!  Any reasonable slot WR would have had a similar season on that team.

On 2nd thought, the 5 year thing... I can see that.  Though, that 5 years is the time it took him to go from really good - to great - to elite... with respect to Freeman, he's not even "good" yet.
: February 23, 2012, 10:43:23 AM TBayXXXVII

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 23, 2012, 10:48:22 AM

I remember when we drafted him I thought he would be a project. Then he went out in 2010 and had a great year. Last year the whole team stunk, including Freeman. Im looking for the whole team to play much better this year under new leadership. Including Freeman.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 23, 2012, 10:53:05 AM

Actually, I have seen quite a bit of criticism thrown Freeman's way on TRB the past few months. Yes, he played poorly. Yes, he needs to take a portion of the blame. We can only hope that with competent coaching and a few added weapons he turns things around. I believe he will, but for now we'll put that in the "TBD" file.

Ok. But I am more concerned about a competent coach developing Freeman out of bad habits than spending money on new guys.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 23, 2012, 11:01:30 AM

Ok. But I am more concerned about a competent coach developing Freeman out of bad habits than spending money on new guys.

Im sure getting Freeman right and seeing where he is at is a top priority with this new regime. They said it themselves its a QB driven league. They are gonna make sure Freeman is the guy that can take them and the team where they want to go. They want to find this out the sooner the better. You also gotta think they dont want to bring in anybody new. They want to make sure Freeman is the guy. Otherwise it sets you back.
: February 23, 2012, 11:04:38 AM BucBalla85

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 23, 2012, 11:05:56 AM

Getting him out of his bad habits is important...but pieces will need to be added to this offense for there to be any chance for success. If you are implying that we should wait to add talent to this team until Freeman breaks those habits or shows he isn't the "franchise guy"...then I highly disagree with that.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 23, 2012, 11:22:18 AM

Thread search next time bro.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 23, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

... with respect to Freeman, he's not even "good" yet.

Guys that "aren't even good yet" don't LEAD you to 10-win seasons.  Period.  And Freeman singlehandedly put this team on his back and carried them to 5 of the 10 wins.  Fact.

Especially when HALF of the 10 wins are directly ralated to the performance, and therefore the credit must also be given, to the QB who got us to 10 wins in 2010...

For those acting like the jury's still out on Freeman...  You're clueless.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 23, 2012, 12:07:52 PM

... with respect to Freeman, he's not even "good" yet.

Guys that "aren't even good yet" don't LEAD you to 10-win seasons.  Period.  And Freeman singlehandedly put this team on his back and carried them to 5 of the 10 wins.  Fact.

Especially when HALF of the 10 wins are directly ralated to the performance, and therefore the credit must also be given, to the QB who got us to 10 wins in 2010...

For those acting like the jury's still out on Freeman...  You're clueless.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

sharp2325

Starter

#13 : February 23, 2012, 12:11:05 PM

No the jury is stil out bro. If he wouldn't have been such a terd in the begining of games we wouldn't have had to come back in the forth quarter of so many that year. He always waits until the forth quarter tostart doing anything. He needs to turn it on this year at the start of games. Great QB's play well  all game, not just the forth quarter. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 23, 2012, 12:19:40 PM

I think the jury is still out. Hes young and had a bad year last year. That can ruin his confidence and can be something he never shakes off. Then again I think most of his issues are correctable. New staff and coaching. He can bounce back easily. Just needs to put the time in.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did Freeman get criticized properly for his performance in 2011? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools