Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Manningham expected to sign with Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 24 25 26

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #375 : March 06, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »

they certainly could, but seems like Manningham their top target RT vabucsfan do the #buccaneers have any interest in Garçon?From @cecillammey
I almost forgot this thread had this many pages. Garcon > Manningham.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #376 : March 06, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »

Dumping tens of millions into any WR that is a polished, experienced, proven playmaker when you don't currently have one is erring on the side of caution, yes.

You're sensationalizing Mario Manningham as a WR quite a bit, here.  Polished is not a word I'd use to describe him and "proven playmaker" is reaching at best.

Then you haven't seen enough of him to make an educated analysis. He's not an elite receiver by any means, but he's certainly a polished route runner, and has made big plays almost every year he's been in NY.

Could it be that your analysis is a bit off?  After all, this is the same Manningham that was replaced by an undrafted FA at WR.  If this WR was the "polished" and "proven playmaker" that you're describing, that wouldn't have happened.

Marshawn Lynch and Ben Tate lost their jobs to an undrafted FA's. That must mean they are absolutely horrible RB's incapable of starting anywhere, right? Trent Green was replaced by an undrafted FA in St. Louis too. That must mean he was a complete waste of space as a QB, huh?

And Benn has made big plays every year he's been in Tampa.  Let's go ahead and label him a proven playmaker under your definition.  Come to think of it, there aren't many starting (and some back-up) WR's in the NFL that wouldn't fall under the label of a "proven playmaker" under this definition.

When Benn averages 15 yards per reception and catches 18 TD's in a 3 year span, then yeah, you can call him a playmaker.

I still can't understand why fans of a team with $67 million in cap room don't want to add an at least above average player to a unit in which the highest paid player is making $1.2 million per season.

For the same reason NY is willing to let him walk.  He's not a long-term talent upgrade versus the competition.  It's the same philosophy you have about using a top-5 draft pick on a guy that might be the best at his position this year but wouldn't in most draft years.  Those kinds of investments aren't how you build long-term contenders.

If Cruz never pans out the way he did, undrafted FA that comes from no where and takes the league by storm, do the Giants still let Manningham walk, or pay him? Keep in mind, Manningham was the starter this season until injuries forced him out of the lineup.
That would depend on his asking price, no way they pay him anything more than what an average #2 makes.
When Manningham was the starter at the beginning of the year he wasn't exactly lighting it up, his 1st 5 games/starts (he missed week 3) he averaged 3.6 catches, 45.4 yards and zero TDs.
He was given his shot and blew it, at that pace his production over the year would have been 57 catches, 726 yards an no TDs.
That isn't a stat line you pay top dollar for, even as a starter he wasn't producing any better than our guys
That's worse than Mike Williams stats and people are already writing him off as a #1 guy.

Again, sans Victor Cruz, who came on after Manningham missed time due to injury, do you think they let him walk? His 2010 numbers tell a better tale of his production sans Cruz than any stats you want to throw out from 2011. Based on that season, they don't let him walk if Cruz didn't do what he did. You know that as well as I do.

Also, what do you think a #2 receiver in the FA market is worth? You seem to think that Manningham is asking for top 10 money or something.
AGAIN, that would depend on his asking price.
If he were asking for idiotic money I could see them letting him walk, they already have Nicks as a #1, Steve Smith also did well in that system so it seems they don't have a problem plugging in players and making it work.
Tommer, Plax, Smith, Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, they've all had decent to great seasons the past few years while the wideout group was in transition, that makes me think it's more about the system than the players.

As far as his worth (you can't judge all #2 wideouts with the same value) I wouldn't pay him more than $4million a year based on what he's shown.
Anquan Boldins deal when he moved to the Ravens averaged $7million a year to be a #1 guy and he was FAR more proven and productive.

Bolden signed his contract when he was 30 years old. Plus it was 3 seasons ago. If you expect to sign any receiver in this class for less than that, you are going to be disappointed. Manningham will probably end up being the most economic choice of the bunch. Garcon is going to be asking for significantly more.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #377 : March 07, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Mario Manningham - WR - Giants Free agent Mario Manningham believes he's a No. 1 receiver and wants to be paid accordingly.
Manningham certainly hasn't proven to be a consistent go-to receiver, capable of beating double teams. Worse, he revealed in early December that there were "things floating" in his "weak and unstable" knee. We've yet to see reports of Manningham undergoing surgery to correct the problem. Source: New York Post Mar 7 - 10:42 AM

No thanks!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #378 : March 07, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

Not surprised.

Pass.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #379 : March 07, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

Pass for me also.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #380 : March 07, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

26 pages later.

Nr 1?   pushaw.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #381 : March 07, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

Mario Manningham - WR - Giants Free agent Mario Manningham believes he's a No. 1 receiver and wants to be paid accordingly.
Manningham certainly hasn't proven to be a consistent go-to receiver, capable of beating double teams. Worse, he revealed in early December that there were "things floating" in his "weak and unstable" knee. We've yet to see reports of Manningham undergoing surgery to correct the problem. Source: New York Post Mar 7 - 10:42 AM

Splendid news! I'd rather have Garcon.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #382 : March 07, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »

I still can't understand why fans of a team with $67 million in cap room don't want to add an at least above average player to a unit in which the highest paid player is making $1.2 million per season.

For the same reason NY is willing to let him walk.  He's not a long-term talent upgrade versus the competition.  It's the same philosophy you have about using a top-5 draft pick on a guy that might be the best at his position this year but wouldn't in most draft years.  Those kinds of investments aren't how you build long-term contenders.

If Cruz never pans out the way he did, undrafted FA that comes from no where and takes the league by storm, do the Giants still let Manningham walk, or pay him? Keep in mind, Manningham was the starter this season until injuries forced him out of the lineup.
That would depend on his asking price, no way they pay him anything more than what an average #2 makes.
When Manningham was the starter at the beginning of the year he wasn't exactly lighting it up, his 1st 5 games/starts (he missed week 3) he averaged 3.6 catches, 45.4 yards and zero TDs.
He was given his shot and blew it, at that pace his production over the year would have been 57 catches, 726 yards an no TDs.
That isn't a stat line you pay top dollar for, even as a starter he wasn't producing any better than our guys
That's worse than Mike Williams stats and people are already writing him off as a #1 guy.

Again, sans Victor Cruz, who came on after Manningham missed time due to injury, do you think they let him walk? His 2010 numbers tell a better tale of his production sans Cruz than any stats you want to throw out from 2011. Based on that season, they don't let him walk if Cruz didn't do what he did. You know that as well as I do.

Also, what do you think a #2 receiver in the FA market is worth? You seem to think that Manningham is asking for top 10 money or something.
AGAIN, that would depend on his asking price.
If he were asking for idiotic money I could see them letting him walk, they already have Nicks as a #1, Steve Smith also did well in that system so it seems they don't have a problem plugging in players and making it work.
Tommer, Plax, Smith, Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, they've all had decent to great seasons the past few years while the wideout group was in transition, that makes me think it's more about the system than the players.

As far as his worth (you can't judge all #2 wideouts with the same value) I wouldn't pay him more than $4million a year based on what he's shown.
Anquan Boldins deal when he moved to the Ravens averaged $7million a year to be a #1 guy and he was FAR more proven and productive.

Bolden signed his contract when he was 30 years old. Plus it was 3 seasons ago. If you expect to sign any receiver in this class for less than that, you are going to be disappointed. Manningham will probably end up being the most economic choice of the bunch. Garcon is going to be asking for significantly more.
[/quote]
Boldins last 4 years in Zona - 4118 yards and 28 TDS
Manninghams 4 years in NY - 2315 yards and 18 TDS

Boldin had shown he could be a true #1 while with the Cards.
Manningham has shown that he can seemingly be past on the depth chart at will by anyone that gets signed by the Giants.

Boldin was a 3 time Pro Bowler, 1 time All Pro and ex Offensive Rookie of the year.
Manningham, well he's been on an active roster and started for brief periods of time uptil the water boy past him on the depth chart.

A good example of Manningham and why he is a poor signing for the kind of annual salary that is talked about is Sidney Rice.
The Hawks paid him after 4 years with the Vikes that were similar to Marios in NY and Rice flopped because as he'd shown in Minnesota he just isn't a #1 guy. (at least Rice had one great year as a hint he might get the job done)

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #383 : March 07, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »

I don't know about you, but I suddenly have the urge to buy some Ciprofloxacin.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #384 : March 08, 2012, 02:32:20 AM »

"Women call me 'passion" lmao

Page: 1 ... 24 25 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Manningham expected to sign with Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools