Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: are RBs worthy of a top 10 pick? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
: February 27, 2012, 09:57:22 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d8272d6dc/RBs-worthy-of-a-top-10-pick

a former GM and a HOF player think so.  Even mention the Bucs and Freeman specifically. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 27, 2012, 10:02:12 AM

http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?rw=1

Trent Richardson - RB - Player
SI.com's Peter King "can't see" Alabama RB Trent Richardson "going very high."
Richardson was facing an uphill battle to go in the top 10 even before his February 3 knee scope, but it appears his surgery sealed his fate as a non-premium pick. King also "can't see" any other running backs being selected on day one.
Source: Sports Illustrated Feb 27 - 9:42 AM

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 27, 2012, 10:03:37 AM

Only if you are a RB away and you trade up to take him.  Outside of that, no RB... no matter how good is worth a top 10 pick.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#3 : February 27, 2012, 10:06:23 AM

At the end of the day it is all a gamble, regardless of position and who the player is. Often we see late round to undrafted players have pretty good careers and first round busts. Scouts are good evaluating talent but you can't always evaluate personalities when they get "that" check. It is all a gamble.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 27, 2012, 10:06:30 AM

Nope, not unless you know they will be AP-like...which there is no way of knowing...usually about half of the top ten picks are a gamble anyway.
: February 27, 2012, 10:08:47 AM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 27, 2012, 10:11:18 AM

They are, but more like around 10, not the top 5. Like they said yesterday that there's not as much of a gap between Richardson and some of the others, which means why sell out and waste a top pick for a little extra talent over later round guys?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 27, 2012, 10:34:44 AM

Guards and RB's are taken in the top ten if there is belief they are Pro Bowl caliber.

Scouts will have to do their homework on DeCastro and Richardson.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 27, 2012, 10:45:44 AM

For me it depends on the RB. I really like Trent Richardson but most is the experts don't have him in the Top 10 if the Bucs don't select him. That should speak volumes about Trent. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Bucs war room this year.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 27, 2012, 10:50:11 AM

If you have a top 10 pick, it means you have a bad passing game and/or bad defense, and a RB is not going to fix either of those.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#9 : February 27, 2012, 11:07:48 AM

http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?rw=1

Trent Richardson - RB - Player
SI.com's Peter King "can't see" Alabama RB Trent Richardson "going very high."
Richardson was facing an uphill battle to go in the top 10 even before his February 3 knee scope, but it appears his surgery sealed his fate as a non-premium pick. King also "can't see" any other running backs being selected on day one.
Source: Sports Illustrated Feb 27 - 9:42 AM
First off, I have no problems with Peter King, and I read MMQB almost weekly.  With that said, I think Peter King has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the draft.

Secondly, It's impossible to say that a RB isn't worth being taken high in the draft.  I understand that you can find a decent RB later in the draft, but if the front office believes that Richardson is the next A.P., Stephen Jackson, or LaDanian Tomlinson then they need to pull the trigger.  Other than the QB, the RB has the biggest impact on the game.  He touches the ball much more than any WR.  He dictates the pace of the game.  His performance may be dependent on the play of the O-line, but football is a team game and every position is dependent on every other position.  I don't know if Richardson is that kind of talent, because I'm not privy to his interviews and the other info that can be obtained from former teammates and coaches.  If the Bucs do their homework and decide that Richardson has the passion and will to improve himself, along with the physical talents that we've all seen, then nobody should argue against the pick.  I'm on record as wanting 1. to trade down or 2. Pick Claiborne, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we do pick Richardson.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#10 : February 27, 2012, 11:20:40 AM

Other than the QB, the RB has the biggest impact on the game. 

You say that like it makes them valuable or something, but RB's are a dime a dozen and you can get really good ones later in the draft, the impact on the game thing doesn't have much to do with draft value for RB's.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 27, 2012, 11:26:27 AM

Secondly, It's impossible to say that a RB isn't worth being taken high in the draft.  I understand that you can find a decent RB later in the draft, but if the front office believes that Richardson is the next A.P., Stephen Jackson, or LaDanian Tomlinson then they need to pull the trigger.  Other than the QB, the RB has the biggest impact on the game.  He touches the ball much more than any WR.  He dictates the pace of the game.  His performance may be dependent on the play of the O-line, but football is a team game and every position is dependent on every other position.
I don't know that I agree with that.  When they didn't have Favre playing at a reasonably high level, the Viking have been pretty poor, despite Peterson's high level of play.  You have to feel for Jackson, but as consistently excellent a player as he's been, the Rams have still struggled to put things together.  MJD from this season is another example of how fantastic play from your running back doesn't necessarily have much of an impact on the game.

Granted, I suppose your statement could still be true from the standpoint of every offensive position having trivial importance compared to that of the team's quarterback in today's NFL.  (For example, I'm surprised that it's not more common for people to come back to my argument about Peterson by pointing out the Browns' record since they drafted Joe Thomas.)  But I think one could make a reasonable case for approaching things from a standpoint asking what offensive positions help a team's quarterback the most.  I'm not one of those people who're going to try and claim that the running back doesn't contribute in that regard.  But I also thing that one could argue about whether the value is high enough to be worth the opportunity cost of spending a top five pick on the position.
: February 27, 2012, 11:30:04 AM acacius

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 27, 2012, 11:40:10 AM

Secondly, It's impossible to say that a RB isn't worth being taken high in the draft.  I understand that you can find a decent RB later in the draft, but if the front office believes that Richardson is the next A.P., Stephen Jackson, or LaDanian Tomlinson then they need to pull the trigger.  Other than the QB, the RB has the biggest impact on the game.  He touches the ball much more than any WR.  He dictates the pace of the game.  His performance may be dependent on the play of the O-line, but football is a team game and every position is dependent on every other position.
I don't know that I agree with that.  When they didn't have Favre playing at a reasonably high level, the Viking have been pretty poor, despite Peterson's high level of play.  You have to feel for Jackson, but as consistently excellent a player as he's been, the Rams have still struggled to put things together.  MJD from this season is another example of how fantastic play from your running back doesn't necessarily have much of an impact on the game.

Granted, I suppose your statement could still be true from the standpoint of every offensive position having trivial importance compared to that of the team's quarterback in today's NFL.  (For example, I'm surprised that it's not more common for people to come back to my argument about Peterson by pointing out the Browns' record since they drafted Joe Thomas.)  But I think one could make a reasonable case for approaching things from a standpoint asking what offensive positions help a team's quarterback the most.  I'm not one of those people who're going to try and claim that the running back doesn't contribute in that regard.  But I also thing that one could argue about whether the value is high enough to be worth the opportunity cost of spending a top five pick on the position.

Agreed.  I would go as far to say that a #1 WR is significantly more important than a RB.  Teams use the pass to set up the run.  Outside of the Raven's (and to a lesser extent, the 49ers), the good teams have a franchise QB and at the very least, a solid go-to-guy WR, only a few of them have a really solid RB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 27, 2012, 12:56:57 PM

Other than the QB, the RB has the biggest impact on the game. 

You say that like it makes them valuable or something, but RB's are a dime a dozen and you can get really good ones later in the draft, the impact on the game thing doesn't have much to do with draft value for RB's.

Agree with that  ^^^^

Building  the O-line is a better investment IMO.  Then you can plug in any competent RB.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 15, 2013, 06:46:05 AM

Are we still in agreement about this?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: are RBs worthy of a top 10 pick? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools