Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dont'a Hightower « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 28, 2012, 05:15:27 PM

I've seen Hightower chase down and literally swallow up Chris Rainey (probably most shifty player in this class) like he was Kregg Lumpkin. I see Keuchley as a solid player who probably gets around 100 tackles every year but never really jumps off the screen when you watch him (Like Ruud). Hightower is a tone setter and a guy who will make a receiver think twice about coming anywhere near him.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 28, 2012, 05:27:23 PM

Kuechly, who is a projected top 15 guy, is a reach at 5, but Hightower, a projected top 30 pick, would be an awesome pick at 5. Gotcha.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 28, 2012, 05:36:59 PM

I've seen Hightower chase down and literally swallow up Chris Rainey (probably most shifty player in this class) like he was Kregg Lumpkin. I see Keuchley as a solid player who probably gets around 100 tackles every year but never really jumps off the screen when you watch him (Like Ruud). Hightower is a tone setter and a guy who will make a receiver think twice about coming anywhere near him.
I think Hightower has better upside than any MLB in this class. I would too take him before Keuchley. Just not at #5, in the teens, yes.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 28, 2012, 05:55:01 PM

I simply don't trust a guy 265 lbs to play MLB for a 4-3 team. Maybe he's Superman and has the best change of direction skills ever for a player that size, but I'll yield on the side of caution and go with the 240 lb player.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 28, 2012, 05:58:28 PM

I simply don't trust a guy 265 lbs to play MLB for a 4-3 team. Maybe he's Superman and has the best change of direction skills ever for a player that size, but I'll yield on the side of caution and go with the 240 lb player.
I simply don't trust a guy 225 llbs to play LB for us.

I simply don't trust a guy like Quincy Black to play LB for us.

Hightower may be big...but he is a LB we need.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 28, 2012, 06:09:34 PM

This. Hightower immediately improves our front 7. Dude played for Nick Saban which means he's going to be a student of the game and a guy who can step right in and line up a defense. That's rare. Hightower is the player this defense needs! A big, strong, athletic, THUMPER!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 28, 2012, 06:16:39 PM

I'm pretty sure the Bucs will have more options available in the next two months than Hightower, Geno Hayes, and Quincy Black. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 28, 2012, 06:29:46 PM

This. 40 times reflect straight line speed. How did he do on position drills? That's far more important for pretty much any position. Every scouting report I've read on the guy says he's good in the box, but struggles with fluidity and movement when forced to play in space. Not a 4-3 Mike.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 28, 2012, 06:38:14 PM

This. 40 times reflect straight line speed. How did he do on position drills? That's far more important for pretty much any position. Every scouting report I've read on the guy says he's good in the box, but struggles with fluidity and movement when forced to play in space. Not a 4-3 Mike.
I don't think he did any of the position drills.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 28, 2012, 06:58:05 PM

Should the bucs slip up and get Hightower I wouldn't be upset whatsoever.  The guys stature enables him to cover a large area - his speed gets him to where he wants to go, and he has been 'bama's signal caller for a good while as he reads offenses well, and gets folks where they need to be.  I like him a lot and would be startled if the bucs passed on him with their second pick. 

As a MLB he is a mid first to upper second round pick - pray for upper second round

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 28, 2012, 08:42:18 PM

Should the bucs slip up and get Hightower I wouldn't be upset whatsoever.  The guys stature enables him to cover a large area - his speed gets him to where he wants to go, and he has been 'bama's signal caller for a good while as he reads offenses well, and gets folks where they need to be.  I like him a lot and would be startled if the bucs passed on him with their second pick. 

As a MLB he is a mid first to upper second round pick - pray for upper second round

His value in the first is only to a 3-4 team, and a late first at that.. ILB is much like RB, the value is not there early unless he is considered an elite prospect.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 28, 2012, 08:47:25 PM

His value in the first is only to a 3-4 team, and a late first at that.. ILB is much like RB, the value is not there early unless he is considered an elite prospect.

I agree with this and while I think he can grow into a very solid 4-3 backer I think he really has a chance to be a flat out stud in a 3-4.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 28, 2012, 09:44:23 PM

Would Upshaw be a better pick if we went LB with 5th pick

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 28, 2012, 09:50:50 PM

Would Upshaw be a better pick if we went LB with 5th pick
He'd probably be less of a fit.

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#44 : February 28, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

I agree with this and while I think he can grow into a very solid 4-3 backer I think he really has a chance to be a flat out stud in a 3-4.

-1, i disagree, Hightower is a stud in any scheme an a better MLB prospect period!!! only thing Kuechly has on him is intincts which doesn't mean he's smarter, just that he's a more natural LB. Kuechly is the prototype of a Backer that can play all of the Backer positions in any scheme! IMO we could use either as a DRAMATIC upgrade to the middle of the defense but it comes down to the role we need filled. Both are athletic, very smart, instinctual signal callers. We need a presence at the point of attack an a tone setter, someone ball carriers dread knowing is lurking in run/pass lanes!!! That's not Luke Kuechly!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dont'a Hightower « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools