Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A surprise team has been inquiring about the #2 pick in the draft. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 28, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »

What If the Bucs Were the Surprise Team?

Posted on February 28, 2012 8:05 pm by The Commish

By: Justin Pawlowski

I normally do not play the “what if” game, but with the Rams receiving a “feeler” trade offer from a “team you would never expect,” all teams are a possibility.

What about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Well, with the Buccaneers probably being the team least likely to trade up for RG3, does that then make them the most likely team that spoke with the Rams?

Let’s start with the relationship between the Rams and Bucs.  Rams COO Kevin Demoff worked for the Buccaneers from 2005-2008.  Under then general manager Bruce Allen, Demoff and Mark Dominik were both part of the Buccaneers front office and were good friends.  Demoff is also the one who told Peter King that the Rams received that “feeler” offer.

What would a move like this say about Josh Freeman?

It was just a few days ago where Greg Schiano was quoted as saying the staff was going to wipe the slate clean with Freeman.  The staff was not going to try and correct mistakes of 2011, but instead just move forward.

Does that mean move forward with another quarterback?

I sincerely doubt it.  Freeman has established himself as one of the bright young quarterbacks in the NFL, but did struggle mightily in 2011.  Freeman’s 16 touchdowns to 22 interceptions was a big reason for the team’s struggles last season.  The NFL is a quarterback driven league, and Freeman did not drive the Bucs to much success.  Of course, it was no where near all his fault, but he did have his deficiencies.

Why would the Bucs go with Robert Griffin III over Josh Freeman and give up the necessary draft picks to do so?

Good question.  If this happened, and that is a very big “if,” RG3 would immediately ignite a fan base that had been stagnant for years.  Empty seats would be full again, and the new coaching staff would have a new quarterback to be married to.  Griffin’s athleticism and deep accuracy would be two valuable assets that would fit what Greg Schiano said he wants to accomplish on offense.

After trading away the necessary picks to move up and draft RG3, the Bucs would still hold a valuable chip in Josh Freeman.  They could recoup some of those lost draft picks, while still getting possibly the most electrifying player in this year’s draft.

Does this all sound as far-fetched to you as it does to me?

It’s nobody’s fault but Kevin Demoff and him saying that the Rams received an offer from a team “you would never expect.”  Because of this, every team is a potential trade candidate now.  Good negotiating?  Sure, but it is also excruciating to everyone at the same time.

I actually enjoyed playing the “what if” game with this, but we can all honestly say that no one would ever expect the Buccaneers to make a move like this…but, if that’s true, that would make the Buccaneers maybe the best possibility.

Thank you Kevin Demoff!
« : February 29, 2012, 12:06:05 AM michael89156 »

HolyBuc

Starter
« #1 : February 28, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »

J-E-T-S

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 28, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »

J-E-T-S
I could see that.

Just throwing out the Patriots too.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #3 : February 28, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »

IN before Java comes and trashes Freeman.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #4 : February 28, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »

I reaaaaally hope it's not the Eagles..but it wouldn't surprise me if they are the 'mystery team'. They seem to pull this crap.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 28, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »

The problem for the Jets is that their WR situation may be worse off than ours. They're gonna lose Plax and Holmes has some personality issues. He's proven that Pitt was very wise to get rid of him despite his talent. So if we're going to fantasize, do this:
Sign V-Jax (possible, but a longshot given the competition)
Trade two firsts and a third and fifth to move up for RG3.
Trade JF for a mid-first that becomes Michael Floyd.
Now you have an overstocked WR corps and trade MW for a third.
Lamar Miller is yours in the second and the best LB available with your new third.
Silly, but hey, if you don't see the fun in this then you're missing the point. It has incredible potential.

In Verner We Trust

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 29, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »

If Philly does this, just fold their franchise. Given how many benjamins they gave Vick a year ago, they become the flipflop team of the century. In just over two years they would have gone from McNabb to Kolb to Vick to RG3. George Steinbrenner in his heyday was more patient.

In Verner We Trust

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #7 : February 29, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »

It wouldn't be to take over Vick right now, but seeing how he can never stay healthy, it might be a good move for them. They don't have that many holes to fill and you know they are really active in Free agency.
How scary would they be if they had RG3 as the insurance policy for when Vick eventually gets hurt? UGH

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #8 : February 29, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »

And Reid loves him a mobile, black QB. perfect fit. But the cost might be too much for them.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #9 : February 29, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

Top 5 most to least likley (in this scenario)

Colts, Saints, Giants, Patriots, Panthers, Packers

Broke.Phi.Broke

Starter

« #10 : February 29, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »

The problem for the Jets is that their WR situation may be worse off than ours. They're gonna lose Plax and Holmes has some personality issues. He's proven that Pitt was very wise to get rid of him despite his talent. So if we're going to fantasize, do this:
Sign V-Jax (possible, but a longshot given the competition) Yes, but i feel our receiver core will bounce back.
Trade two firsts and a third and fifth to move up for RG3. Yes, this is a nice offer. We have the cap space to fill the glaring holes.
Trade JF for a mid-first that becomes Michael Floyd. Luke Kuechly
Lamar Miller is yours in the second and the best LB available with your new third. 2nd round: Doug Martin or Peter Konz
Silly, but hey, if you don't see the fun in this then you're missing the point. It has incredible potential.

For sh!ts and giggles, I'll play along...

O-Ren Ishii:As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re unconvinced that a particular plan of action I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is... I collect your fu@king head. Just like this fu#ker here. Now, if any of you sons of biatches got anyt

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 29, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »

Philly might be dumb enough to do this. Why is it dumb? Because they need Oline help, LB help, safeties.... they lost last year because they weren't a complete team. And once RG3 is ready to be that guy, even more holes will emerge. They'll set themselves up to be a perennial 10-win team, which is nice, but not the 11 or 12-win team they crave.

In Verner We Trust

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 29, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »

Sign V-Jax (possible, but a longshot given the competition) Yes, but i feel our receiver core will bounce back.
Trade two firsts and a third and fifth to move up for RG3. Yes, this is a nice offer. We have the cap space to fill the glaring holes.
Trade JF for a mid-first that becomes Michael Floyd. Luke Kuechly
Lamar Miller is yours in the second and the best LB available with your new third. 2nd round: Doug Martin or Peter Konz

For sh!ts and giggles, I'll play along...
I don't have any problem with that. Kuechly is gonna be very good in this league. Konz is the best OC in the draft and I wouldn't be upset with Martin either. Safety in the fifth round?

In Verner We Trust

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 29, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »

Sign V-Jax (possible, but a longshot given the competition)
Trade two firsts and a third and fifth to move up for RG3.
Trade JF for a mid-first that becomes Michael Floyd.
Lamar Miller is yours in the second and the best LB available with your new third.

Yes.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #14 : February 29, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »

I get what you're saying. I HATE the Eagles. But they could fill those holes in free agency if they wanted. I always wish our owners were more aggressive in FA as the Eagles owners. Not like last year's over spending but at least be active.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A surprise team has been inquiring about the #2 pick in the draft. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools