Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 01, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »

Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile

February, 29, 2012

Source:  ESPN
By Pat Yasinskas

We talked previously about how there’s speculation New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham could be a free-agent target for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It’s logical on a lot of levels. Tampa Bay’s new offensive coordinator, Mike Sullivan, previously was an assistant for the Giants. The Bucs have a need to improve at wide receiver. As I noted, Manningham wouldn’t solve all of Tampa Bay’s problems. I don’t see him becoming a true No. 1 receiver and, although, he sometimes can make things happen in the deep game, I don’t see him as a consistent downfield threat, which is something the Bucs need. But I do think adding Manningham would help Tampa Bay’s receiving corps.

Now, let me throw another name that I view in a similar way at you. How about Denver’s Eddie Royal?

He’s scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and the word is the Broncos don’t want him back. Although free agency hasn’t started and teams can’t talk to players until March 13, I’ve gotten some vibes that Royal might be a receiver the Bucs could be interested in.

Like Manningham, Royal wouldn’t solve all of Tampa Bay’s problems. But, also like Manningham, he could be a nice addition. I don’t see Royal as a No. 1 receiver, but I think he could fit as a No. 2 or 3 receiver. He had a big rookie year under former coach Mike Shanahan in 2008 when he caught 91 passes for 980 yards.

Royal’s numbers have slipped the past three seasons and he bottomed out last season, catching only 19 passes for 155 yards. But any receiver’s numbers are going to dip when Tim Tebow is your quarterback.

I think Royal could be much more productive in Tampa Bay with quarterback Josh Freeman. Royal is only 25 and I think the Bucs will be looking mostly at free agents in that age range. He also isn't likely to command a high price tag. Royal also has excellent speed. Maybe even more than Manningham, he has the ability to stretch the field. He also has ability and experience as a punt and kickoff returner.

Keep an eye on this one if Royal does in fact enter free agency.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 01, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

Tampa needs a number ONE. Royal runs a great double move and is a good route runner but he isn't exactly what this offense needs.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 01, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »

but I think he could fit as a No. 2 or 3 receiver.

Breaking news, Pat. We already have about four No. 2 or No. 3 WRs, 5 if we sign Manningham. We really don't need 6 of them.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 01, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »

Eddie Royal would be nice. I wanted that dude coming out of VT back in 08. He was a beast  with Jay Cutler. Plus he will be cheap and have a bounce back year for sure.

We don't need to reach for the stars on all of the FAs. Royal would be an excellent addition and we could easily depart with Stroughter and Spurlock and possibly even Parker depending on what we do.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 01, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »

Eddie Royal would be nice. I wanted that dude coming out of VT back in 08. He was a beast  with Jay Cutler. Plus he will be cheap and have a bounce back year for sure.

We don't need to reach for the stars on all of the FAs. Royal would be an excellent addition and we could easily depart with Stroughter and Spurlock and possibly even Parker depending on what we do.

Agree.   He is not a #1 but has some wheels which the Bucs could use in the WR corp.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #5 : March 01, 2012, 01:43:49 AM »

Man all the people saying we need a true #1, we get it. I agree but its easier said than done. Every team out there is going to want Vjax, not just us.  Right now Ill be happy to hear the Bucs linked with any receiver out there that could help.
« : March 01, 2012, 02:35:45 AM Pepsi »

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 01, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »

Royal or Garcon...been saying it for awhile.

They can stretch the field whether they line up as #1, #2, #3 or #20. They will provide a deep threat and open up the underneath stuff. They also both bring a lot to the table as far as ways to get them the ball. Screens, runs, whatever, they are explosive. They also provide a bigger threat in the return game than anyone on the roster. Plenty of teams have proven you dont need a true #1 as long as youre whole stable is quality and shows up every game.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 01, 2012, 02:17:01 AM »

Tampa needs a number ONE. Royal runs a great double move and is a good route runner but he isn't exactly what this offense needs.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

SImple, to the point, and says all that needs to be said....but I'll keep going.

Receivers that should be available and how I rank them big board style...

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham
Eddie Royal...if we cant get any of the above and are stuck with Eddie Royal...someone should be **CENSORED**-canned.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 01, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

SImple, to the point, and says all that needs to be said....but I'll keep going.

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham
Eddie Royal...if we cant get any of the above and are stuck with Eddie Royal...someone should be **CENSORED**-canned.

Manningham better than Royal?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 01, 2012, 02:21:54 AM »

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham

To me...yea a little...but I dont want either one. Benn and Williams with good coaching should be better thna both...we need a top tier clear cut #1.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 01, 2012, 02:25:08 AM »

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham

To me...yea a little...but I dont want either one. Benn and Williams with good coaching should be better thna both...we need a top tier clear cut #1.

I think Royal would help because of his speed.  He runs in the 4.3's.   The only guy on your list with that kinda speed is DeSean.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 01, 2012, 02:30:11 AM »

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham

I think Royal would help because of his speed.  He runs in the 4.3's.   The only guy on your list with that kinda speed is DeSean.

Definately has speed....but its not like we have slow WRs...they just get pushed around, run poor routes, were the victims of poor play calling and poor blocking and Freeman played awful....We could have had 3 guys who ran 4.3s..but if they would have had the same weaknesses....we would still have the #5 pick....now Im not against adding a "burner"...I just think they need to do other things well or that blazing speed is a waste.

Back to Royal....if he got back to his rookie form...it would be a good signing..

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 01, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

V-Jax
Mike Wallace
D-Jax
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Stevie Johnson
Marques Colston
Pierre Garcon
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham

Definately has speed....but its not like we have slow WRs...they just get pushed around, run poor routes, were the victims of poor play calling and poor blocking and Freeman played awful....We could have had 3 guys who ran 4.3s..but if they would have had the same weaknesses....we would still have the #5 pick....now Im not against adding a "burner"...I just think they need to do other things well or that blazing speed is a waste.

Back to Royal....if he got back to his rookie form...it would be a good signing..

He could probably return kicks also.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #13 : March 01, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

I'd prefer taking a chance on Royal to overpaying for Manningham.  Royal can be the deep ball threat the team is looking for.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 01, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »

I wouldn't be against Royal. Could be a good reclamation project.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools