Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

HolyBuc

Starter
#15 : March 01, 2012, 08:50:16 AM

Royal is going to end up with the man who drafted him Mike Shanahan in Washington.  He had a huge rookie season under him. I would be shocked with how bad Washington WRs are if this didn't happen.

sharp2325

Starter

#16 : March 01, 2012, 08:50:48 AM

Let's pick up Royal and Lloyd to replace spurlock and stroughter.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 01, 2012, 09:11:11 AM

Lloyd wouldn't just replace one of those scrubs...he would be the #1...hands down.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 01, 2012, 09:15:36 AM

Lloyd wouldn't just replace one of those scrubs...he would be the #1...hands down.

Agree Chace.  Lloyd would definetly be Free's number 1 if he landed here.  MWill would play the 2 role and Benn the 3 along with bringing in Briscoe for 4 sets.  So I guess technically it would replace spurlock and strought just by pushing them down the chart.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 01, 2012, 09:19:30 AM

Definitely prefer Royal to Manningham, but I'm fine with neither

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 01, 2012, 09:30:15 AM

Agree Chace.  Lloyd would definetly be Free's number 1 if he landed here.  MWill would play the 2 role and Benn the 3 along with bringing in Briscoe for 4 sets.  So I guess technically it would replace spurlock and strought just by pushing them down the chart.

Yea...FRG made a valid point in another thread that he is a player that could be a cancer...probably a valid point...if deemed that he will come in and work hard without being a distraction...he would definitely upgrade the WRs from a talent perspective...would I rather have V-jax or Mike Wallace?...sure...but I would also like to locked in a room with Rihanna, Meagan Good, and Sofia Vergara with unlimited supplies of lube and energy shots for a week....but I don't see that happening at least for another few years..

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 01, 2012, 09:38:25 AM

The Rams are opening up discussions with Lloyd. I think he's got a good chance to go back in STL. I wouldn't be surprised if we are more defensively focused in free agency with Finnegan/Lofton/Tulloch/Carr/Connor like guys and we draft Blackmon and Wilson/Martin/Miller in the 2nd round.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 01, 2012, 09:40:20 AM

Stop talking about everyone else's throw-aways and also-rans!

That is all.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 01, 2012, 09:53:07 AM

Man all the people saying we need a true #1, we get it. I agree but its easier said than done. Every team out there is going to want Vjax, not just us.  Right now Ill be happy to hear the Bucs linked with any receiver out there that could help.

+1

Also, Manningham > Royal, but either would be an upgrade. I'd welcome him with open arms.

bveghte

Pro Bowler
#24 : March 01, 2012, 10:42:03 AM

You can't go first class at every position. If we get Nicks or Grubbs at Guard, and Lofton or Tulloch at MLB plus another good outside LB, then Royal here is fine with me.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 01, 2012, 11:10:17 AM

Eddie Royal > Michael Spurlock

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 01, 2012, 11:12:28 AM

You can't go first class at every position. If we get Nicks or Grubbs at Guard, and Lofton or Tulloch at MLB plus another good outside LB, then Royal here is fine with me.

With nearly $70 mil in cash to spend...there is no excuse not to at least try to go "first class" on most of the needs...the lack of talent on this team compared to just the NFCS makes my head hurt.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 01, 2012, 11:31:22 AM

Yea...FRG made a valid point in another thread that he is a player that could be a cancer...probably a valid point...if deemed that he will come in and work hard without being a distraction...he would definitely upgrade the WRs from a talent perspective...would I rather have V-jax or Mike Wallace?...sure...but I would also like to locked in a room with Rihanna, Meagan Good, and Sofia Vergara with unlimited supplies of lube and energy shots for a week....but I don't see that happening at least for another few years..

Chace this is why I'm against Lloyd. I'm not "delusional" about his talent. But I've seen, read, heard enough about him over the years to be wary of him. Aside from some highlight catches over the years, he's really only performed for Josh McDaniels.  A few years ago, the Washington Post did one of the most in-depth "what went wrong" type stories (it was 3 parts and thousands of words) I've ever seen about the downfall of the Gibbs II era Redskins. Lloyd was one of the players featured, as he was an expensive signing for them. He was a nightmare for players and coaches alike. I couldn't find the entire piece, but here's an excerpt from a different article by the Washington Posts' Jason Reid that hits most of the points.

"The wide receiver is not just some poor nice dude who is getting dumped on by the coaches. That's happened around here before, but not in this case. Brandon is also not some demon. He is an incredibly charming, bright, funny individual with diverse interests who comes from an pretty amazing family. Unfortunately, that side of him is often clouded by the immature things he sometimes does and says.... Lloyd systematically alienated himself from some coaches and players and it's been a downward spiral. The idea he is being unfairly persecuted around here is laughable...Take out the fact he had probably the worst statistical seasons of any starting WR in NFL history last year. Take out all of his off-field antics out of it - dropping f-bombs on receivers coach Stan Hixon during 2006 OTAs (yeah, his first spring practices with the team), going ballistic on Al Saunders at halftime of the New Orleans game, having at least three blow-ups around teammates on the sidelines including when he threw his helmet and was benched the next week and lost his starting just for good to Antwaan Randle El late in the year....(Despite all of this Coach Joe - who should have done much better homework on this one - stuck with the kid, praised him throughout that entire miserable season, kept saying how big a part of the future Lloyd is, how young he is, how he's seen guys like this blossom in the past. Dan Snyder and Gibbs met with him in Arizona in the offseason, tried to help build him back up, and during his only public comments of the year before the draft Snyder went out of his way to say how "proud" he was of Lloyd (Snyder made a point to bring this up; no one asked about No. 85) and how excited they were for him to shine 2007. You don't think the Redskins wanted this one to work out? You don't think they had every reason possible - football and financially - to make this work? You don't think they tried to keep a lot of Lloyd's issues in-house?). ..Take out his inconsistency, willingness to learn just one of the three receiver positions and lack of desire to run routes that require him to do more than streak down the sidelines or catch a 5 yard slant. Take out the way he's treated secretaries and other such people at Redskins Park. Take out his outbursts and unpredictability. Take out the dropped passes....Take out the fact that they tried to get the ball deep to him as he likes down the sidelines in Week 1, and he made an insufficient attempt to fight the Miami DB for the ball, and after it was intercepted he made almost no attempt to run upfield or make a tackle." http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/brandon-lloyd-ramblings-there.html.

I don't think the casual observer of Lloyd quite gets it with him because he's been fairly popular with the media of the years - As Reid points out, he's very well-spoken and charming. Most of the radio guys loved him in DC and had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes until the expose came out.  But the people who talk off the record with staff know that that's just one side of the guy. I think that's why his somewhat mild-mannered comments about Tebow led to him being traded in Denver - there probably a lot more than just those words going on behind closed-doors.  The comment about the routes is not a joke - he refused to run certain routes, and that's I believe what started the stream of expletives at WR coach Stan Hixon.

There's a reason why a guy with his talent can't find a home, and has been traded twice. I just think he's the absolute worst guy to stick with a young QB and young group of WRs. I want a guy with good work habits who serves an example to the younger guys, not a primma donna.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 01, 2012, 11:42:29 AM

Chace this is why I'm against Lloyd. I'm not "delusional" about his talent. But I've seen, read, heard enough about him over the years to be wary of him. Aside from some highlight catches over the years, he's really only performed for Josh McDaniels.  A few years ago, the Washington Post did one of the most in-depth "what went wrong" type stories (it was 3 parts and thousands of words) I've ever seen about the downfall of the Gibbs II era Redskins. Lloyd was one of the players featured, as he was an expensive signing for them. He was a nightmare for players and coaches alike. I couldn't find the entire piece, but here's an excerpt from a different article by the Washington Posts' Jason Reid that hits most of the points.

"The wide receiver is not just some poor nice dude who is getting dumped on by the coaches. That's happened around here before, but not in this case. Brandon is also not some demon. He is an incredibly charming, bright, funny individual with diverse interests who comes from an pretty amazing family. Unfortunately, that side of him is often clouded by the immature things he sometimes does and says.... Lloyd systematically alienated himself from some coaches and players and it's been a downward spiral. The idea he is being unfairly persecuted around here is laughable...Take out the fact he had probably the worst statistical seasons of any starting WR in NFL history last year. Take out all of his off-field antics out of it - dropping f-bombs on receivers coach Stan Hixon during 2006 OTAs (yeah, his first spring practices with the team), going ballistic on Al Saunders at halftime of the New Orleans game, having at least three blow-ups around teammates on the sidelines including when he threw his helmet and was benched the next week and lost his starting just for good to Antwaan Randle El late in the year....(Despite all of this Coach Joe - who should have done much better homework on this one - stuck with the kid, praised him throughout that entire miserable season, kept saying how big a part of the future Lloyd is, how young he is, how he's seen guys like this blossom in the past. Dan Snyder and Gibbs met with him in Arizona in the offseason, tried to help build him back up, and during his only public comments of the year before the draft Snyder went out of his way to say how "proud" he was of Lloyd (Snyder made a point to bring this up; no one asked about No. 85) and how excited they were for him to shine 2007. You don't think the Redskins wanted this one to work out? You don't think they had every reason possible - football and financially - to make this work? You don't think they tried to keep a lot of Lloyd's issues in-house?). ..Take out his inconsistency, willingness to learn just one of the three receiver positions and lack of desire to run routes that require him to do more than streak down the sidelines or catch a 5 yard slant. Take out the way he's treated secretaries and other such people at Redskins Park. Take out his outbursts and unpredictability. Take out the dropped passes....Take out the fact that they tried to get the ball deep to him as he likes down the sidelines in Week 1, and he made an insufficient attempt to fight the Miami DB for the ball, and after it was intercepted he made almost no attempt to run upfield or make a tackle." http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/brandon-lloyd-ramblings-there.html.

I don't think the casual observer of Lloyd quite gets it with him because he's been fairly popular with the media of the years - As Reid points out, he's very well-spoken and charming. Most of the radio guys loved him in DC and had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes until the expose came out.  But the people who talk off the record with staff know that that's just one side of the guy. I think that's why his somewhat mild-mannered comments about Tebow led to him being traded in Denver - there probably a lot more than just those words going on behind closed-doors.  The comment about the routes is not a joke - he refused to run certain routes, and that's I believe what started the stream of expletives at WR coach Stan Hixon.

There's a reason why a guy with his talent can't find a home, and has been traded twice. I just think he's the absolute worst guy to stick with a young QB and young group of WRs. I want a guy with good work habits who serves an example to the younger guys, not a primma donna.

No reason for me to disagree with the points made here.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 01, 2012, 02:55:22 PM

Giants didnt have a true #1 last year with all the injuries(Cruz stepped up for sure), Saints dont have a true #1, Packers no longer have a true #1(was Jennings for awhile), Steelers didnt have a true #1 when they won the SB, Patriots havent had a #1 in awhile......most SB winners(or even the SB losers) in the last decade havent had a true #1.

So why is a true #1 needed again? It seems a good stable is more valuable than a true #1 in todays NFL. Id love to hear a legitimate explanation explaining differently.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools