Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#75 : March 04, 2012, 03:37:27 AM

Eddie Royal had a good rookie season but thats about it.

I dont like him at all.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#76 : March 04, 2012, 08:22:56 AM

It is kind of disturbing that these type of players Bucs fans are excited about.

Not excited, just realistic. While some may have visions of Vincent Jackson playing flanker, Marques Colston playing split end, and DeSean Jackson lightning up in the slot for the Bucs next year, others seem to be at terms with the very real scenario that none of them are coming here. I'd rather have an Eddie Royal or Mario Manningham added to the roster than no one.

Realistically we have seen this done before, and most fans do not want any part of this approach.  Bucs need impact guys not adding more depth like Bruce Allen did during his tenure.   It is bad enough that Bruce Allen's drafts failed to deliver impact guys, but they failed to add some during free agency or through trades.  Dominik is the closest one thus far with adding K2.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#77 : March 04, 2012, 10:07:05 AM

It is kind of disturbing that these type of players Bucs fans are excited about.

Not excited, just realistic. While some may have visions of Vincent Jackson playing flanker, Marques Colston playing split end, and DeSean Jackson lightning up in the slot for the Bucs next year, others seem to be at terms with the very real scenario that none of them are coming here. I'd rather have an Eddie Royal or Mario Manningham added to the roster than no one.

Realistically we have seen this done before, and most fans do not want any part of this approach.  Bucs need impact guys not adding more depth like Bruce Allen did during his tenure.   It is bad enough that Bruce Allen's drafts failed to deliver impact guys, but they failed to add some during free agency or through trades.  Dominik is the closest one thus far with adding K2.

The Bucs did not add Keyshawn Johnson or Simeon Rice until they had many key DRAFTED players in place.  We do not have that yet.  Neither are we in a position of decades of futility such that we need a Hardy Nickerson. 

You cannot get to the Super Bowl tomorrow, but you can keep us from every getting to a Super Bowl by constantly chasing our tail.  The Bucs will get incremently better next season.  There may be some improvment in the record but the biggest improvement should be in the culture.  They will get even better (hopefully) the following year and so on and so on . .

Maybe the solution is for some fans to take a year or two off and return when the Bucs are in the hunt (kinda like so many of you did in '96 and '97 and '98)

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#78 : March 04, 2012, 10:47:11 AM

The Bucs did not add Keyshawn Johnson or Simeon Rice until they had many key DRAFTED players in place.  We do not have that yet.  Neither are we in a position of decades of futility such that we need a Hardy Nickerson. 

You cannot get to the Super Bowl tomorrow, but you can keep us from every getting to a Super Bowl by constantly chasing our tail.  The Bucs will get incremently better next season.  There may be some improvment in the record but the biggest improvement should be in the culture.  They will get even better (hopefully) the following year and so on and so on . .

Maybe the solution is for some fans to take a year or two off and return when the Bucs are in the hunt (kinda like so many of you did in '96 and '97 and '98)

That is flawed logically given McKay didn't draft the core as Wyche did.  In addition, McKay did not have a good draft record in bringing in impact players, so he used free agency to bring in Brad Johnson and Rice while trading for Key.   

P.S. Nickerson wasn't drafted by the Bucs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#79 : March 04, 2012, 10:52:05 AM

i think this is a great post.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#80 : March 04, 2012, 11:03:48 AM

That is flawed logically given McKay didn't draft the core as Wyche did.  In addition, because McKay did not have a good draft record in bringing in impact players, so he used free agency to bring in Brad Johnson and Rice while trading for Key.

Wyche didn't have sole McKay drafted 6 Pro Bowl caliber players after Wyche was canned. His draft record with the Falcons was pretty good as well. Many of his picks are starting for either them or other NFL teams as we speak.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#81 : March 04, 2012, 11:23:44 AM

That is flawed logically given McKay didn't draft the core as Wyche did.  In addition, McKay did not have a good draft record in bringing in impact players, so he used free agency to bring in Brad Johnson and Rice while trading for Key.   

Ironic that you mentioned flawed logic in a post you apparently misunderstood

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#82 : March 04, 2012, 11:25:53 AM

Mckay's pro bowl list isn't that impressive, especially Bruce Allen's while with the Bucs.  The difference is McKay went and obtained impact guys when his draft started failing, while Bruce Allen was trying to stabilize, but not improve, hence the stagnation of the team in 2007 and 2008.

Manningham is not better than Laurent Robinson.

Debatable, but Manningham definitely isn't better than the sure handed Avant.  I will say I do like Laurent Robinson more than Royal.

: March 04, 2012, 11:27:50 AM alldaway

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#83 : March 04, 2012, 11:27:31 AM

No I reject your flawed premise that you need drafted guys before you participate in free agency. 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#84 : March 04, 2012, 01:18:59 PM

No I reject your flawed premise that you need drafted guys before you participate in free agency.

That was neither the premise nor the argument, but no problem.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#85 : March 04, 2012, 01:35:54 PM

Eddie Royal had a good rookie season but thats about it.

I dont like him at all.

He has special teams value, but I think the Bucs are better drafting and/or re-signing Spurlock honestly to compete with Stroughter and Parker.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#86 : March 04, 2012, 02:07:43 PM

Why does Parker need competition? He hit a wall a little bit late and had one or two really really really bad games but he was one of our better players during the year.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#87 : March 04, 2012, 02:36:15 PM

I think a lot of folks are a bit misguided after reading a few articles about VJax and Manningham being linked to the bucs through nothing more than speculation and association.  As Bucs fans, I would not get our hopes up too high for a #1 WR unless they think Blackman is the real deal.  I think we need a speed WR.  I would not be agains Royal or a guy like Early Doucet and drafting a guy like Wylie in the 3rd/4th.  Ultimately, I think we need speed in our #3.  Part of the problem was the offesne, part the lack of development of our young WRs.  I am hoping that with the proper adjustments Williams/Benn can become a number 1.  A lot of WRs don't really hit their stride until their 3rd year.  Williams and Benn have the talent and I like prospects like Webber, Gant, and Briscoe.  What we lack is that WR/KR that can play the slot that has elite speed.  I would much rather get Grubb/Nicks and 2 of the better LBs in FA, and maybe Finnegan and a SS like Griffith.   We will be much more effective throwing the ball deep if we don't get behind 21-0 in the first quarter and our offense is more effective running the ball.  Here would be my first four draft picks and FA's I would like to see:

Draft
1- Morris Claiborne CB
2- Glenn OT Georgia
3- Wylie WR - might be a bit high here, but I don't think he will be around in the 4th even if we had a pick.
5- Lamichael James RB - I think he might fall a bit.

FA- Primary
OG - Grubbs or Nicks
CB- Finnegan or Carr
SS- Griffith from Tenn
LB- Vilma (if available)or Lofton

FA - Secondary
RB- Kevin Smith
WR- Speed WR possibly
OLB- A few secondary options available
QB- Need somone to compet for #2
DT- Need a veteran presense to push our DL in the wieght room and on the field.  We need a true NT because I don't think we have one on the roster.

It sounds like a lot, but I think this will make us a better team.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eddie Royal could fit Bucs' profile « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools