Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mario Williams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

freddy

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 01, 2012, 05:47:24 PM

The Texans are in a real bind. If he refuses to sign with them they either let him go or he gets a franchise tag of 22m. It will take 20+ million a season to sign this guy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 01, 2012, 05:49:43 PM

Getting pressure with just your front four is the most important part of a good 4-3. Mario is the most important FA we could possibly sign. Period.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 01, 2012, 05:58:29 PM

It will take 20+ million a season to sign this guy.

No it won't. He'll likely command somewhere in the neighborhood of $17M a year.

If we gave him a front loaded deal with $35M in the first year like the Bears did with Julius Peppers, we could sign him to a 7 year / $120M deal. You get rid of that huge $35M chunk in year one, and you actually plan on paying out the final year seven of $20M.....that leaves about $65M over the middle 5 years and that is only $12.8M a year average. The breakdown would be something like this....

Year 1 - $35M
Year 2 - $16M
Year 3 - $14M
Year 4 - $12M
Year 5 -  $13M
Year 6 - $15M
Year 7 - $20M (all guaranteed money is paid and he can be released with no penalty)

It would be the smartest way to use up half of our ridiculous $70M cap room this year.
: March 01, 2012, 06:02:17 PM JDouble

freddy

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 01, 2012, 06:11:09 PM

If we gave him a front loaded deal with $35M in the first year like the Bears did with Julius Peppers, we could sign him to a 7 year / $120M deal. You get rid of that huge $35M chunk in year one, and you actually plan on paying out the final year seven of $20M.....that leaves about $65M over the middle 5 years and that is only $12.8M a year average. It would be the smartest way to use up half of our ridiculous $70M cap room this year.

I doubt the contract you offer above would even come in 3rd place.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 01, 2012, 06:23:34 PM

I'd be shocked if we signed him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 01, 2012, 06:35:21 PM

If we gave him a front loaded deal with $35M in the first year like the Bears did with Julius Peppers, we could sign him to a 7 year / $120M deal. You get rid of that huge $35M chunk in year one, and you actually plan on paying out the final year seven of $20M.....that leaves about $65M over the middle 5 years and that is only $12.8M a year average. It would be the smartest way to use up half of our ridiculous $70M cap room this year.

Seven year $120M with $35M upfront wouldn't even be 3rd place? Ok. If you are right then we should not sign him, but I think you are wrong. Everyone said Nnamdi Asomugha would sign for $20M last year and he ended up taking a deal that averages $14M a year. Julius Peppers and Richard Serymor are the two highest paid defensive players in the game and they average $15M a year. Too think Mario will get more than $16M or $17M a year is just not realistic to me.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 01, 2012, 06:38:24 PM

Super Mario is a franchise guy. Right now the Bucs don't have anybody on defense we can say that about. All of our young players still haven't had a good enough seasons to claim they are franchise players. McCoy could be but he hasn't proved that yet like Suh has.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 01, 2012, 06:45:02 PM

Seven year $120M with $35M upfront wouldn't even be 3rd place? Ok. If you are right then we should not sign him, but I think you are wrong. Everyone said Nnamdi Asomugha would sign for $20M last year and he ended up taking a deal that averages $14M a year. Julius Peppers and Richard Serymor are the two highest paid defensive players in the game and they average $15M a year. Too think Mario will get more than $16M or $17M a year is just not realistic to me.

So be it, I don't think it's realistic to think he will be coming to Tampa either, unless the contract is closer to 20m than 15m.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 01, 2012, 07:30:43 PM

His signing would equate to an instant A+ grade for the FA period. He makes the Dline credible with one stroke of the pen...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 01, 2012, 07:30:48 PM

I think he'll get a contract close to the one I posted....but not with the Bucs. I said we should sign him, but I don't think we will. My gut says Titans or Jags.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 01, 2012, 07:31:23 PM

We need sacks. mario williams is one of the best in the business. Just gas up the brinks truck and at least make an attempt to get him

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 01, 2012, 07:34:56 PM

His signing is good for at least 1 more win a season. He is just a man child. A phenom. A genetic superior. Alpha Silverback. Destroyer of Kevlar. Punisher of lesser mortals. He is the clenched fist. He is win.

Pay Da Man, Glazers!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 01, 2012, 07:36:23 PM

I don't get the concern that signing him would mean we can't sign anyone else. We could give him the huge front loaded contract I gave as an example with $35M this year, and we'd still have $40M in cap space. We could still get another top guy like Nicks or Finnegan....or both. With that said, I'd be fine with all 2nd tier FAs if we signed Mario Williams. He's have more of an impact than any two other FAs combined. With Brees, Ryan, and now Newton in our division....his addition is truly priceless.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 01, 2012, 07:37:41 PM

Pay Da Man!  And then sign Nicks, Carr, and Wayne. Maybe Hillis to a prove it deal, which is all he is going to get.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 01, 2012, 08:04:54 PM

I wouldn't be totally opposed to it , because you can never have too many pass rushers , but I think we could have the makings of awesome bookends already with Bowers and Clayborn.

I'd inquire to gauge Mario's interest level , but it wouldn't break my heart if the Bucs weren't high on his list . We have plenty of more pressing needs, and if all those high picks we spent on D-line turn out to be busts we are screwed regardless.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mario Williams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools