Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Vincent Jackson Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 16

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

« : March 08, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »

This would rock!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/08/report-finnegan-recruiting-vincent-jackson-for-possible-package-deal/

PFT
Report: Finnegan “recruiting” Vincent Jackson for possible package deal
Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2012, 5:38 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that free agent cornerback Cortland Finnegan is actively “recruiting” free agent wideout Vincent Jackson to join Finnegan on his next NFL team. Cole suspects that team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Finnegan has reportedly been text messaging back and forth with Jackson. The Bucs certainly have the salary cap space to land both players, and Finnegan and Jackson play positions of need in Tampa.

Bucs incumbent No. 1 receiver Mike Williams played more like a No. 2 last season. Arrelious Benn has been a disappointment, unable to break free from a receiver committee with the similarly pedestrian Dezmon Briscoe. Preston Parker is strictly a slot guy.

With Ronde Barber unsigned for 2012 and considering retirement, Finnegan would be a natural replacement — and upgrade — at right cornerback. Left corner Aqib Talib is in danger of a league-imposed suspension.

The Buccaneers have been criticized for sitting on large amounts of cap space in past offseasons, but they’re publicly committed to opening the pocketbook this spring.

Jackson and Finnegan would be an awfully aggressive way to start.
« : March 12, 2012, 10:20:42 AM 3rd String Kicker »

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #1 : March 08, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »

Let's go.

destinedbuc

Rookie
« #2 : March 08, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »

Please oh PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 08, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »

Just speculation

Bears and Vikes could also be in play

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, Cortland Finnegan has been trying to recruit Vincent Jackson as a package deal in free agency, most likely to the Buccaneers.
Cole acknowledges the Bears are also a possibility for the dynamic duo. We suspect the Vikes could be in the mix as well. All three teams have not only salary cap space, but also a need at cornerback and receiver. Finnegan has been texting Jackson, though it's not clear just how much interest the latter has in tagging along. The package deal would take the Cowboys out of the picture for Finnegan.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 08, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

I think this could be a fluff piece to get a reaction out of the Bucs team so as to get some sort of read out of what the Bucs are thinking. It is not unusual for agents to try to see where teams are by using the press

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 08, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

We'd be able to throw more money at them

sloppyjoe1

Starter

« #6 : March 08, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »

Finnegan Jackson and Nicks would make me cream my pants.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 08, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »

If the Bears can afford to pay the same as us, we may be in trouble. They are a few pieces away from a deep playoff run, whereas 8 wins would be considered a good season for us. We will have to overpay them quite significantly to make it worth it for them. Not opposed to that at all, but I am skeptical that the FO will do that.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 08, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »

Yes please

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 08, 2012, 06:49:01 PM »

Mar 8th at 6:15 pm by danzinskiRumors
Home » Vikings » Rumors » Vincent Jackson And Cortland Finnegan Headed to Tampa In Package Deal?

Could Vincent Jackson and Cortland Finnegan be headed to the Buccaneers as part of a Miami Heat-like package deal? Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports tweeted this earlier: “Cortland Finnegan has been texting VJax in hopes of recruiting him to CF’s next team, which is looking like Tampa.” Coming soon to ESPN, “The Decision” with Vincent Jackson.

Obviously V-Jax isn’t quite on the same level as LeBron James. Still, it’s disconcerting to see the “package deal” trend popping up in pro football. What about competitive balance? Surely the salary cap should keep that sort of thing from getting TOO out of hand. But every now and then you’re bound to have a team like Tampa Bay with a ton of cap space, and a couple big money free agents who want to team up, resulting in a very expensive two-for-one. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that Tampa is a warm weather city. Everybody wants to go to warm weather cities.

Viking fans, whose pride is already smarting after the whole Bountygate thing, are not going to be pleased if the team’s two reported major free agent targets both end up spurning them in favor of Tampa. But maybe this can be a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. If free agents don’t want to come to Minnesota, then the Vikes will be forced to build with the draft and shrewd lower-level personnel maneuvering instead. That’s a strategy lots of people endorse anyway. Perhaps if the Vikings can get back to competitiveness, those free agents will want to come. Having a shiny new stadium won’t hurt either.

Nothing anyone can do about the weather.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 08, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »

This made me chub

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #11 : March 08, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

I don't think either of those guys want to play in cold weather so we're in luck there. And the tax-free thing doesn't hurt us.

Our young talent is a whole bunch better than theirs too. I don't even know what young pieces the Bears have exactly. Matt Forte (26) and Jay Cutler (28) are the only decent youngish pieces they have. Their defense is old as **CENSORED**.

The Vikings? What in the **CENSORED** do they have besides AP and Jared Allen? No decent young prospects.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 08, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

He is also good friends with Stephen Tulloch for whatever it's worth

destinedbuc

Rookie
« #13 : March 08, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »

How does Jason Cole know Finnagen is texting V Jax? Does he have inside info?

lowlife

Starter

« #14 : March 08, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

I don't think either of those guys want to play in cold weather so we're in luck there. And the tax-free thing doesn't hurt us.

Our young talent is a whole bunch better than theirs too. I don't even know what young pieces the Bears have exactly. Matt Forte (26) and Jay Cutler (28) are the only decent youngish pieces they have. Their defense is old as **CENSORED**.

The Vikings? What in the **CENSORED** do they have besides AP and Jared Allen? No decent young prospects.

Problem is the Bears have better overall talent.
Kind of a big problem actually.

Vikings also have Rudolph, Harvin, Greenway, the Hendersons, etc.
« : March 08, 2012, 07:12:06 PM lowlife »

Page: 1 2 3 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Vincent Jackson Thread « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools