Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Go get Larry Grant « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

: March 09, 2012, 02:09:46 PM

49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.

Grant was a stud filling in for an injured Patrick Willis last year.

He is 27 years old and would be an immediate upgrade at MLB.

jcaulfield8

Second String

#1 : March 09, 2012, 02:11:07 PM

I admittedly have no knowledge of him as a player. But, if he was that good, why only a 7th round tender?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 09, 2012, 02:12:54 PM

I'd imagine they view him as expendable considering they already have Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman inside.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 09, 2012, 02:14:22 PM

He did play pretty good filling in

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 09, 2012, 02:19:24 PM

He's probably worth a 7th round pick, but I'd be a little wary attaching too much value to clearly second tier players when everyone on that entire defense had an awesome season last year. Justin Smith played great, Ray McDonald played great, Isaac Sopoaga played great, Aldon Smith played great, Ahmad Brooks played great, Patrick Willis played great, Navorro Bowman played great, Dashon Goldson played great, Donte Whitner played great, Carlos Rogers played great, and Tarell Brown all played great. I'm sure he's an upgrade over multiple Bucs players, but chances are a lot of players on that team overachieved and will come down again soon.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 09, 2012, 02:34:25 PM

Buckeye Nation :D

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 09, 2012, 02:37:38 PM

Pass. He is mediocre at best.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#7 : March 09, 2012, 02:45:08 PM

If he upgrades the depth and can play special teams then why not use a 7th rounder for him. He's a veteran and you know what you're getting vs. drafting another 7th rounder who probably won't make the team.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 09, 2012, 02:47:58 PM

If he upgrades the depth and can play special teams then why not use a 7th rounder for him. He's a veteran and you know what you're getting vs. drafting another 7th rounder who probably won't make the team.
Exactly, why waste a 7th rounder on someone who has proven he is no more than a special teamer when we can get someone with alot more potential in the 7th?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 09, 2012, 02:52:28 PM

who has proven he is no more than a special teamer

Uhh....try again.

He had 20 solo tackles, 5 passes defensed, 1 sack, and 1 FF in 3 starts last season.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 09, 2012, 02:54:47 PM

who has proven he is no more than a special teamer

Uhh....try again.

He had 20 solo tackles, 5 passes defensed, 1 sack, and 1 FF in 3 starts last season.
Look at the players that were playing around him. Quincy Black would look like a hall of famer.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 09, 2012, 02:55:44 PM

He's probably worth a 7th round pick, but I'd be a little wary attaching too much value to clearly second tier players when everyone on that entire defense had an awesome season last year. Justin Smith played great, Ray McDonald played great, Isaac Sopoaga played great, Aldon Smith played great, Ahmad Brooks played great, Patrick Willis played great, Navorro Bowman played great, Dashon Goldson played great, Donte Whitner played great, Carlos Rogers played great, and Tarell Brown all played great. I'm sure he's an upgrade over multiple Bucs players, but chances are a lot of players on that team overachieved and will come down again soon.

I agree with you and I didn't mean to make the claim he was an all world player.

But like you said he is definitely an upgrade over Mason Foster at middle line backer and would be a steal for a mere seventh round pick.

I think people get a little too infatuated with draft picks in the off season and overvalue them.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 09, 2012, 02:56:37 PM

For a 7th? Most 7th rounders dont even make the team. This guy was a backup on one of the most talented LB corps in the league last year. He did fill in for Willis nicely last year. I remember him. I say do it.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 09, 2012, 02:58:07 PM

Agreed.

He also has experience in a 4-3, as he started 8 games for the Rams at SLB in 2010.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 09, 2012, 03:07:25 PM

I agree with you and I didn't mean to make the claim he was an all world player.

But like you said he is definitely an upgrade over Mason Foster at middle line backer and would be a steal for a mere seventh round pick.

I think people get a little too infatuated with draft picks in the off season and overvalue them.
He may have been an upgrade over how Foster played late in the season, but is he an upgrade over Foster with another year or two of experience in 2012 or 2013 or an upgrade over Curtis Lofton or a higher priced free agent MLB? Probably not. Grant was a OLB in college (Laurinaitis was MLB) and as you say a OLB earlier in his NFL career. His best use with the Bucs would probably be replacing Quincy Black.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Go get Larry Grant « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools