Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sileo hopes the Bucs sign "those three monkeys"..... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#150 : March 14, 2012, 12:12:11 PM

Even if he was, he should know better than to use a term that has ties to racism.

That being said, I'm not sure I've ever heard someone call adults "monkeys" as a term of endearment. Kids, yes. Adults, no

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#151 : March 14, 2012, 01:16:15 PM

Public or not, doesn't matter. If I called any of my Black employees "monkeys" I'd be out on my ass in a heartbeat.

Why only black?   Wouldn't you get in trouble for calling a white employee a monkey?

No one ever wants to discuss this hypocrisy, but there's no brigade of race baiters waiting to jump you if you criticize a white guy. Ironic how efforts to eliminate a double standard ended up creating another one.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#152 : March 14, 2012, 02:22:28 PM

Public or not, doesn't matter. If I called any of my Black employees "monkeys" I'd be out on my ass in a heartbeat.

Why only black?   Wouldn't you get in trouble for calling a white employee a monkey?

Nope - but if I called a white employee cracka,  whitey, white boy, or something similar, I'd have some explaining to do. 

Gotta know the racial stereotypes and not use them when you're working or suffer the consequences.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#153 : March 14, 2012, 02:25:03 PM

I got to tell you folks, that is a northern comment used routinely without rancor let alone racism.  My grandparent, parents and my generation, and the next generation behind me all use it - to this very day.  I am pretty certain Sileo is from the New Jersey/New York area - where the phrase isn't a negative. 

'that is a northern comment'.

what a pile of crap.

I had to reprimand an senior enlisted Soldier after I counseled him over and over about not calling Black Soldiers' "boy". My NCO was from Tennessee and it had become his habit that he grew up with.  In the military, you don't get a pass for ignorance.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#154 : March 14, 2012, 02:28:20 PM

Yeah, there's a huge outcry whenever someone utters the phrase "whitey."

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sileo hopes the Bucs sign "those three monkeys"..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools