Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agency grades from WalterFootball.com « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

yungbull

Starter
: March 14, 2012, 12:16:01 PM

I used to respect this site.  But after seeing the grades of the team, with a horrible analysis, its starting to look like BleacherReport. 

Buccaneers sign WR Vincent Jackson (5 years, $55.5M; $26M guaranteed): C+ Grade

Only a C+!? The media is raving about this signing, yet I'm giving it just a C+? I obviously hate the Buccaneers!

I don't hate this signing (or the Buccaneers), but I don't like it very much either. Is that because Vincent Jackson hasn't caught more than 68 passes in a single season? No, but it doesn't help. Is that because Jackson hasn't played with a non-elite quarterback in his NFL career? No, but it doesn't help.

Here's my reasoning: Players who take tons of money in free agency, going from a playoff-caliber team to a crappy squad, have a really checkered history. Think about Sidney Rice last summer. Think about Albert Haynesworth. Think about O.J. Atogwe. Think about Zach Miller. Think about all of the bums Daniel Snyder has brought in over the years.

These players often fail because money is a greater priority for them than football. Of course money is important, but when you're getting a $55 million contract, why should $5 or so extra million command where you play football? Josh Freeman is a decent quarterback, but he won't maximize Jackson's potential like Philip Rivers could. As a consequence, Jackson's career will never be as great as it could have been. But like Rice, he doesn't care because he squeezed an extra few million out of a terrible team.

Buccaneers sign G Carl Nicks (5 years, $47.5M; $31M guaranteed): C+ Grade
Once again, I can't support a signing like this. I'll repeat: Players who come from great franchises and go to bad teams solely for the money seldom pan out. It's apparent that Carl Nicks doesn't care about winning. He just wanted a few extra million that the Buccaneers were able to offer him. Now that he has his mega contract, will he give 100 percent? Will he care if Tampa Bay makes the playoffs or not? Because if he wanted to win and have the best career possible, he would have stayed with Drew Brees.

Buccaneers re-sign G Jeremy Zuttah (4 years, $16 million): C+ Grade
This is from a few days ago, but contract details are now known. The Buccaneers are overpaying, but I guess Greg Schiano just wants to keep one of his former players. Jeremy Zuttah is a decent lineman capable of playing multiple positions, but he's not worth $16 million over four years.

Then this????

Rams sign CB Cortland Finnegan (5 years, $50 million): A- Grade

This is a really good signing for the Rams. They're filling a big position of need with the top free agent available.

If you're wondering, I'm not penalizing the Rams for signing a guy who took the money to go to an inferior team because Cortland Finnegan wanted to play for Jeff Fisher again. Finnegan knows that Fisher will have his new squad in playoff contention in a couple of years, so his decision to go to St. Louis was a football move.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 14, 2012, 12:17:43 PM

WOW......

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 14, 2012, 12:17:50 PM

Walter is trying to compete with JoeBucFan for worse Bucs coverage of all time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Brianpie2

Second String

#3 : March 14, 2012, 12:18:26 PM

I was just looking at this.  The guy is a joke of a reporter.  Almost every bad team that signed someone got a bad grade and almost every good team got a good grade.  The only exception was the rams but thats it.  I would take it with a grain of salt.

drewgrif

Second String
#4 : March 14, 2012, 12:18:29 PM

Grades at this point are not something that can be given.

Make it rain Dom!!!

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 14, 2012, 12:25:33 PM

I was just looking at this.  The guy is a joke of a reporter.  Almost every bad team that signed someone got a bad grade and almost every good team got a good grade.  The only exception was the rams but thats it.  I would take it with a grain of salt.

Didn't Charlie Campbell from PR go over to WalterFootball?  Wow really poor analysis.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#6 : March 14, 2012, 12:26:16 PM

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#7 : March 14, 2012, 12:27:59 PM

Ya..

He mad

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 14, 2012, 12:28:13 PM

Walter is trying to compete with JoeBucFan for worse Bucs coverage of all time.

Walter hasn't been that great in the past few years like it was before that time.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 14, 2012, 12:28:17 PM

Wow - what a hack with an obvious bias. His 'analysis' is the players won't play well now that they got big bucks. That's not analysis knucklehead, that's a hunch.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 14, 2012, 12:28:25 PM

Ummmm.....OK

yungbull

Starter
#11 : March 14, 2012, 12:29:11 PM

His FA grades are just as bad as his NBA/NFL games picks.  Sidney Rice was nothing in his final year in Minny, then went to SEA where no FA receiver has succeeded.  And Zach Miller left a bad raiders team to go to a bad Seattle team.  That's just a horrible comparison IMO.

bucs63

Starter

#12 : March 14, 2012, 12:29:34 PM

So bad teams signing good free agents is not the way to go. If you're the Bucs.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 14, 2012, 12:29:45 PM

^^^^^

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 14, 2012, 12:30:45 PM

He also said that Eric Wright is:

"This is the worst signing in NFL history. That sentence is not an exaggeration."

Clearly there is a serious anti-Bucs bias there that makes him look really, really stupid.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agency grades from WalterFootball.com « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools