Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agency grades from WalterFootball.com « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#60 : March 14, 2012, 01:40:05 PM

Maurice Stovall!!! now thats damn funny but none of you newbies get my joke.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#61 : March 14, 2012, 01:42:36 PM

Maurice Stovall!!! now thats damn funny but none of you newbies get my joke.
Yeah ... that's the problem.   ::)

yungbull

Starter
#62 : March 14, 2012, 01:48:04 PM

Desean Jackson completely folded when he didn't get it his way.  Yes he deserved a new contract but he pulled a Chris Johnson, he's the best speedy WR when focused but he's not worth giving up a pick along with money.

Brianpie2

Second String

#63 : March 15, 2012, 12:18:12 PM

Saints sign G Ben Grubbs (5 years, $36M; $16M guaranteed): A Grade
Ben Grubbs is not as good as Carl Nicks, but he's a really good replacement. He's also a pretty good bargain. I feel like Grubbs could have gotten a bit more than $36 million ($16 million guaranteed).

How in the hell can he say that signing Nicks was a C+ and the Grubbs signing was an A!!!! This guy must be off his rocker lol

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#64 : March 15, 2012, 12:20:23 PM

I ripped Walter a new one in a comment. It was very tasteful however and had no blatant insults or profanity. Thought it was well written, but they were afraid to allow it to go through. They only hear what they want to hear.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#65 : March 15, 2012, 12:21:31 PM

Maurice Stovall

yungbull

Starter
#66 : March 15, 2012, 12:35:22 PM

I ripped Walter a new one in a comment. It was very tasteful however and had no blatant insults or profanity. Thought it was well written, but they were afraid to allow it to go through. They only hear what they want to hear.

I ripped him one as well on Facebook, I couldn't get a reply to that.  But judging by his feed, he's catching a lot of negative reaction to multiple crappy analysis.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#67 : March 15, 2012, 12:43:11 PM

Quote from: Skull and Bones
Maurice Stovall

Lol, let it go man, let it go. We've all been wrong before.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#68 : March 15, 2012, 12:46:53 PM

I liked what one of the commenters pointed out about his grade on the Jags signing of Robinson.  Regardless of what you think about the deal itself, he starts his logic with: "1. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: Players who go from good teams to crap franchises for a big pay day seldom pan out. The Jaguars experienced this when they signed wide receiver Jerry Porter several years ago."

Porter went from the Raiders to the Jags in the 2007-08 offseason.  The Jags finished 2007 11-5.  The Raiders finished 2007 4-12.  While it's true that the Jags went south badly in 2008, the Raiders didn't make it back to the .500 mark until 2010.

yungbull

Starter
#69 : March 15, 2012, 12:51:24 PM

I liked what one of the commenters pointed out about his grade on the Jags signing of Robinson.  Regardless of what you think about the deal itself, he starts his logic with: "1. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: Players who go from good teams to crap franchises for a big pay day seldom pan out. The Jaguars experienced this when they signed wide receiver Jerry Porter several years ago."

Porter went from the Raiders to the Jags in the 2007-08 offseason.  The Jags finished 2007 11-5.  The Raiders finished 2007 4-12.  While it's true that the Jags went south badly in 2008, the Raiders didn't make it back to the .500 mark until 2010.

It's obvious the guy doesn't thoroughly research the transactions/player history.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#70 : March 15, 2012, 01:14:34 PM

I would have tried to work out compensation for Wallace or DeSean Jackson. Wallace a contract similar to Vincent Jackson. DeSean Jackson less. To Pitt maybe #5 for Wallace and #24. To the Eagles maybe 3rd round pick and Benn. If that didn't workout then Blackmon at #5. If he was gone then I would have stood pat and saved the money.

I'd much prefer to have VJackson and the #5 pick than trade that pick for another player we'd have to give a similar contract to.  The Bucs have their #1 WR and are still able to trade the #5 pick if the right deal comes along.

And VJackson isn't a guy that was only playing for a contract.  He's a hard worker on and off of the field.  He's no FA fool's gold, aka Albert Haynesworth.  I like the signing.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#71 : March 15, 2012, 01:15:08 PM

Who wrote the article on Walter Football or is there a link?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

yungbull

Starter
#72 : March 15, 2012, 01:24:05 PM

Who wrote the article on Walter Football or is there a link?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php

yungbull

Starter
#73 : March 15, 2012, 01:25:15 PM

I'm seeing a bit of a Northeastern Bias...

Bills sign DE Mario Williams (richest defensive contract ever): B- Grade
Reports are that Mario Williams is now the richest defensive player in NFL history. Williams' contract will dwarf Peppers' 6-year, $84 million deal.

I'm not a huge fan of this signing. As I've written repeatedly, players who go from good teams to bad franchises for the money seldom pan out. Sure, getting Mario Williams seems great now, but that's exactly how Redskin fans felt when Daniel Snyder signed Albert Haynesworth. There's a reason why successful NFL organizations build through the draft and not free agency.

Williams could have taken a bit less money to play for a winner. Instead, he has shown us that his top priority is his paycheck. With that in mind, is he going to care if the Bills make the playoffs? If he wanted to contend for a Super Bowl, he would have stayed with Houston or gone to another good team. His ultimate goal, as he has proven, does not involve winning the Super Bowl. Otherwise, he wouldn't have signed with Buffalo.

I do not completely hate this signing though because it's big for the Bills' organization (at least at the present moment). The front office needed to give its fan base some hope, as the team hasn't qualified for the playoffs since 1999. Maybe this acquisition will spark a culture change in Buffalo. Maybe Williams will help turn this franchise around. I wouldn't bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agency grades from WalterFootball.com « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools