Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why not Blackmon? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Bucsfan79

Second String

: March 17, 2012, 11:35:22 AM

If we keep Talib and sign Tolbert, why draft Claiborne or TR?  (outside of Talib sucks, cause I don't think he does..maybe mentally, not physically) Why not draft Blackmon? V-Jax is our immediate guy; Blackmon will (should) be coming into his own with Free and crew right when V-Jax starts to decline, thus we wouldn't have to think about replacing any Wr's (the one or two) for the next ten years (if Williams shows he is a legit number two this year). Or would you worry about another wideout when the times comes. Now remember the wideout position is becoming more important than all positions except QB and pass rusher. If we can't agree on TR or Claiborne, go with Blackmon. I remember when most of this board agreed on Blackmon before the V-Jax signing and emergence of RG3.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 17, 2012, 11:41:08 AM

Why not Blackmon?

Well,  because we have Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker.

Had we not signed a #1 reciever in free agency I would be okay with drafting him. But now he doesnt fit a need like Claiborne and Richardson does.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 17, 2012, 11:49:17 AM

Tolbert is not coming here. Talib can't be trusted and is a  free agent next year regardless. I could see Blackmon getting drafted at 5,  but not by us. I think there could be trade possibilities if still there.   Blackmon doesn't make sence for us anymore IMO.

Bucsfan79

Second String

#3 : March 17, 2012, 11:50:42 AM

Why not Blackmon?

Well,  because we have Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker.

Had we not signed a #1 reciever in free agency I would be okay with drafting him. But now he doesnt fit a need like Claiborne and Richardson does.

So......... worry about that need when it arises.... Makes sense. I was thinking down the road, older guys do that a lot!

bashear

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 17, 2012, 12:04:38 PM

My feeling about Blackmon at this point is that he's a good WR, but he would have been the third WR off the board last year. Many posters assert that Rbs are deep this year, but from what I've read, this year's WR class is deep as well, should the Bucs want to obtain another WR. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bucs select no WRs given our current roster.

There are still decent (bandaid) RBs that haven't been signed, ones that could be passing down backs. I'm not sure what the Bucs' plans are--clearly, we have to bring in RBs. If the Bucs go into the draft without signing FA RBS, I'll take it as a sign that the Bucs plan to address the position in the draft, and then TR comes into play. Of course, the Bucs could elect to address the RB position later in the draft or after the draft.

I dont see a downside to taking Claiborne in the draft. The OP envisions a scenario in which Blackmon will be ready to step it up once VJax declines, and points out that WR is an important position these days. However, I would argue that CB is an important position as well, and our CBs could be a problem as early as 2012. One of the mantras I hear over and over again recently is, "You can never have too many CBs."

Right now, I envision Luck, RGIII, and Kalil going in the top 3 picks. After that, the crystal ball is cloudy. At least two of three most commonly mentioned playes,Claiborne, TR, and Blackmon, will be available. I'd have to say that, of the three, Blackmon is the least likely to be drafted by the Bucs should they stay at the #5 pick.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 17, 2012, 12:08:40 PM

Why not Blackmon?

So......... worry about that need when it arises.... Makes sense. I was thinking down the road, older guys do that a lot!
Thinking down the road is smart, not just in this case.

Why adress something that may be a need some years from now when we have a huge need at corner now? Doesnt make any sense.
We dont know if Talib will ever play football again, same goes with Barber.

MenTaLPiRacY

Rookie

#6 : March 17, 2012, 12:11:23 PM

I think singing a WR with great skills is better than signing a RB with great skills..  RB's come and go.  Im all for getting blackmon.

nick777777

Starter
#7 : March 17, 2012, 12:11:42 PM

I would be all for drafting Blackmon if Claiborne is off the board.  The reason I say that is because we have two pass happy teams in Atlanta and Saints so the more corners the better.  The reason I would go Blackmon next is because a receiving core of Jackson, Williams and Blackmon could be the best receiving core in the NFC south and may be up their with the best in the league.  All three of them can run block which would only help if we are going to pound the ball.  All three of them would require some extra attention.  I don't think Benn or any of the others guys really scare anyone.  With three legit receivers the defense has to double up on one of them freeing up two of them.  I am also part of the group that thinks Blount is a legit number one back though.  I think he got the crap end of the stick last year and didn't get the amount of carries he should.  Yet he still averaged over 4 yards a carry and the year before that he was up at 5 yards a carry.  With our O-line set adding Blackmon would just give us another stud receiver to make our offense even more dangerous.

geetech84

Starter

#8 : March 17, 2012, 12:49:30 PM

I would rather draft Stephen Hill..so much upside..n don't have to put him in right away...He can learn from V-Jaxs..Just like the young Wrs we have now.

I like Blackmon, but Stephen Hill, is so gifted..speed n hight.. with coaching,n learning from team-mates..could be a beast, n 2,3  years ..when we looking to replace V.Jackson

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 17, 2012, 12:51:00 PM

WE DON'T NEED A WR.. what don't people get... LB, CB, S, OT, RB all before another WR

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 17, 2012, 01:06:21 PM

Why not Blackmon?

Plus I would have Mo higher on my board then Blackmon, being a need is just a plus.

geetech84

Starter

#11 : March 17, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

WE DON'T NEED A WR.. what don't people get... LB, CB, S, OT, RB all before another WR

True we don't..it wouldn't surprise me if the bucs draft another WR. "to good pass up" or draft a Wr, then trade, Benn or Dez.

their a few Wrs i could see the bucs pickin "to good to pass up" ..Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery, and maybe Tommy Streeter

(Its not like behind Mike Williams, the other WRs step up ..yes Parker, but we have a whole new coaching staff.  They are not marry to any of these guys..not even Mike.. It wouldn't surprise me if they take Blackom with their 1st. then trade Mike Williams...anything could happen, with this coaching staff.)

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 17, 2012, 01:20:03 PM

Why not Blackmon?

Reason 1: our 31st ranked Run D
Reason 2: our 30th ranked pass D
Reason 3: our RB "Corps" is 1 guy.
Reason 4: Geno Hayes is gone
Reason 5: Elbert Mack May be gone
Reason 6: EJ Bigger should be
Reason 7 Lewis was never here to begin with
Reason 8: Quincy Black sux
Reason 9: Blount is one dimensional
Reason 10: Blackmon is really overrated and is just the best WR in a poor WR class

traew01

Pro Bowler

#13 : March 17, 2012, 01:24:17 PM

The single BIGGEST MISTAKE teams can make in the first round is drafting based on need.

Bucs have made this mistake countless times.

You should create your board and rate the players. If Blackmon is there, and you have him rated ahead of Claiborne or Richardson - its a no brainer. You pick Blackmon or trade down. Even if you already have 3 V Jax.

End of story.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 17, 2012, 01:29:23 PM

The single BIGGEST MISTAKE teams can make in the first round is drafting based on need.

Bucs have made this mistake countless times.

You should create your board and rate the players. If Blackmon is there, and you have him rated ahead of Claiborne or Richardson - its a no brainer. You pick Blackmon or trade down. Even if you already have 3 V Jax.

End of story.
Get the hell out of here, Blackmon is not rated ahead of Claiborne and Richardson.

So Claiborne and Richardson is not only are rated higher but they fits a need.

End of story as you might say.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why not Blackmon? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools