Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why not Blackmon? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

« #30 : March 17, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »

Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon or Richardson.  I would be fine with any of these guys.  I would be pissed if they take Richardson if Kalil or Claiborne is available.  That is purely based on value.  I look at Blackmon as a luxury at this point but in the top 5 you have to pick BPA.  You need to have depth at WR.  I would love to have Jackson, Blackmon and Williams/Benn on the field. The Saints and Atlanta would actually have to play some defense.  We can always get a RB or LB in the second round and come away with a pretty darn good player.  Top 5 should not be based on need. 

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #31 : March 17, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

If we were in the position to draft a Calvin Johnson-like prospect, I'd say sure.  Let's go for it.  But I'm not sure that Blackmon will be the BPA at all at #5,let alone a guy who is clearly enough the BPA to make it such an evaluation unequivocable.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #32 : March 17, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

Drafting a guy 5th overall to take over for a guy we just signed for 55 million is borderline retarded. On thats not even considering we have other needs.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #33 : March 17, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »

Why is it stupid?  V Jax is 29 years old meaning he probably will give us a couple more good years at most lets say 5 which is the length of his contract.   You draft a young stud wide out to learn under him and then grow into a number one when V jax leaves,

Okay, that makes no sense. We draft a WR and sign him to a 5 yr deal so he'll be a Vet FA when V-Jax's contract expires?? First round Rookie contracts are no more than 5 yrs (per CBA). V-Jax has enough in the tank to last this contract so BOTH would be FAs the same yr.

Is it stupid of the NY giants when they keep drafting D linemen?

Apples and Oranges. You have 3 or 4 D-lineman all involved in every play. All 4 could assist in getting a tackle/sack. You only have 2 or 3 WRs on a play and only 1 is going to be the target.

On offense there is only one ball. On D, all 11 can go after it. Can't compare O vs D or DL and WRs

No in fact the more power you have the more trade bait you have.  A 3 wide receiver set of V jax, Blackmon, and Williams would be almost unstoppable.  Now do I see it happening?  Probably not.  But to call it stupid to stock up on talent is a stretch.

That assumes that a draft pick a) won't bust b) will be a better option than the more experienced Benn, Briscoe, PP, etc. The presence of VJ should make a 3WR combo of VJ, MW, and Benn/Briscoe much better.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #34 : March 17, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

As one of the biggest Blackmon supporters on the board, theres no good reason to draft Blackmon anymore.

I'd rather have 3 good CBs than 3 good WR

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #35 : March 17, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »

Drafting a guy 5th overall to take over for a guy we just signed for 55 million is borderline retarded. On thats not even considering we have other needs.

You should read this article:

The date was April 23, 2005, and the Packers were just about to make their first-round draft choice with the 24th overall selection.

This was Ted Thompson’s first draft as Packers general manager, and he had a private conversation with his boss, then Packers president Bob Harlan.

“Every year, just before he’d make the No. 1 draft choice, he would always call me out of the room,” recalled Harlan during a recent interview. “And he would tell me who he was going to take and why. And I can still remember our conversation about Aaron Rodgers. He said, ‘I can’t believe the guy has fallen this far, but he’s there. We may catch some heat, because with Brett (Favre) here we’re taking a quarterback.’ But he said, ‘He’s the best player on the board and I’m going to take him.’”

The rest, as they say, is history. Rodgers sat on the bench for three years behind Favre before getting his starting chance in 2008, and has emerged as the best quarterback in the NFL.

The key to that draft and the Packers’ current standing as the best team in the NFL is that Thompson didn’t sway from his philosophy of taking the best player available, regardless of position. The Packers didn’t need a quarterback in 2005, but that didn’t stop Thompson from making the best decision for the overall good of the franchise.

In the words of Harlan, this is what Thompson told him about his draft philosophy: “When we’re in the draft room, my responsibility is to build the entire team. So he said, ‘If we’re deep at wide receiver and say I pass up a couple of great wide receivers, and the second game of the season, we lose a couple people at that position, I’m going to be kicking myself the rest of the year that I didn’t stick to my pattern and take those wide receivers.’ So he said, ‘I’m going to take the top player on the board, regardless of what  position he plays, because my responsibility is to build the entire football team.’”

Thompson is a man of his convictions, regardless of what the critics might say. He sticks to his philosophy, whether dealing with draft picks or unrestricted free agents.

“He’s got a system that he’s going to work from and he’s not going to change and he’s not going to let people change him,” said Harlan. “He told me one time, ‘Bob I’m not going to go out in April and sign a bunch of free agents and spend a lot of money just to please the fans and then regret it in November when they’re sitting on the bench and not contributing. We’re not going to operate that way.’”

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #36 : March 17, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »

Now that VJax is here, there is no doubt Blackmon won't be signed.

You're money would be best bet on Claiborne or Richardson being drafted.

Both have a chance at being there at 5, and they both would fill a need. But also, be a sort-of "luxury" pick.

1. Richardson - Schiano wants a solid rungame. Blount isn't "his" boy, so there is no love lost. Schiano will do what Schiano wants.

2. Claiborne - It's obvious the Bucs need CB help. Claiborne could be teamed up with Wright and Barber, and Talib sent packing (or w/the feds).

My money is on TR or a trade down, although Wright's signing doesn't indicate they won't sign Claiborne. If it were Finnegan signed in FA, no Claiborne. But since Wright is just "ok", there is still a slim chance.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #37 : March 17, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »

traew01: I **CENSORED**ing get it.. BPA is smarter than picking for needs. But what when our needs are the BPA? Stop being an idiot.

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #38 : March 17, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

traew01: I **CENSORED**ing get it.. BPA is smarter than picking for needs. But what when our needs are the BPA? Stop being an idiot.

OK. Just making sure. You keep talking about needs.

Anyway, that's the best case scenario when needs and BPA are aligned.

And I'll always be an idiot. Can't help it.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #39 : March 17, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »

OK. Just making sure. You keep talking about needs.

Anyway, that's the best case scenario when needs and BPA are aligned.

And I'll always be an idiot. Can't help it.
You're right. This is going to be the longest month of my life.

End of story.

cettrue

Second String

« #40 : March 17, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

Because we have much bigger needs.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #41 : March 17, 2012, 10:21:58 PM »

Why not Blackmon?  Because we have a head coach who in a pass oriented game, he wants to be a power running to team to closely emulate what he couldn't even excel at in college.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #42 : March 17, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »

Why not Blackmon?  Because we have a head coach who in a pass oriented game, he wants to be a power running to team to closely emulate what he couldn't even excel at in college.

Did he not get Vjack in his first move as a HC? That should tell you how important the passing game is to him. He would have gotten a RB first if all he cared for was a run game. Not a good argument bud. If you want to be mr negative nancy then make some sense.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #43 : March 17, 2012, 11:03:05 PM »

You should read this article:

The date was April 23, 2005, and the Packers were just about to make their first-round draft choice with the 24th overall selection.

This was Ted Thompson’s first draft as Packers general manager, and he had a private conversation with his boss, then Packers president Bob Harlan.

“Every year, just before he’d make the No. 1 draft choice, he would always call me out of the room,” recalled Harlan during a recent interview. “And he would tell me who he was going to take and why. And I can still remember our conversation about Aaron Rodgers. He said, ‘I can’t believe the guy has fallen this far, but he’s there. We may catch some heat, because with Brett (Favre) here we’re taking a quarterback.’ But he said, ‘He’s the best player on the board and I’m going to take him.’”

The rest, as they say, is history. Rodgers sat on the bench for three years behind Favre before getting his starting chance in 2008, and has emerged as the best quarterback in the NFL.

The key to that draft and the Packers’ current standing as the best team in the NFL is that Thompson didn’t sway from his philosophy of taking the best player available, regardless of position. The Packers didn’t need a quarterback in 2005, but that didn’t stop Thompson from making the best decision for the overall good of the franchise.

In the words of Harlan, this is what Thompson told him about his draft philosophy: “When we’re in the draft room, my responsibility is to build the entire team. So he said, ‘If we’re deep at wide receiver and say I pass up a couple of great wide receivers, and the second game of the season, we lose a couple people at that position, I’m going to be kicking myself the rest of the year that I didn’t stick to my pattern and take those wide receivers.’ So he said, ‘I’m going to take the top player on the board, regardless of what  position he plays, because my responsibility is to build the entire football team.’”

Thompson is a man of his convictions, regardless of what the critics might say. He sticks to his philosophy, whether dealing with draft picks or unrestricted free agents.

“He’s got a system that he’s going to work from and he’s not going to change and he’s not going to let people change him,” said Harlan. “He told me one time, ‘Bob I’m not going to go out in April and sign a bunch of free agents and spend a lot of money just to please the fans and then regret it in November when they’re sitting on the bench and not contributing. We’re not going to operate that way.’”

San Diego thought Ryan Leaf was the best player available, and the Colts actually considered drafting him. Brady and Unitas didn't impress many coming out of college. You just never know for sure.

I believe Benn will become comparable to Blackmon in the coming years. Our first pick should be on Defense.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #44 : March 17, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

Agree about first pick needing to be on defense. If we had signed a RB id say spend the first 3 picks on defense.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why not Blackmon? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools