Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 399

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: March 21, 2012, 06:27:11 AM

In case you havnt been following this story, it's now becoming national and international. Basically in Sanford, Florida a neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, shot and killed 17-year old Trayvon Martin in the chest. Zimmerman claims the shooting was self-defense. And the case is now re-igniting racial tensions.

Martin was walking home from a store when he was confronted by Zimmerman. Zimmerman called 911 to report a "susplcious person." Even though the dispatcher informed Zimmerman not to approach Martin, he did anyway before police arrived. The confrontation led to a struggle and eventually shooting Martin in the chest. Martin had no weapons, and only had a cell phone and a bag of skittles in his pocket. Sanford police accepted Zimmerman's claim of self defense and so far no charges have been filed. The NAACP is now involved and demanding the FBI take over the investigation. Many civil rights activists claim the police botched the investigation to protect Zimmerman.

Police claim they dont have any evidence that contradicts Zimmerman's claim of self-defense, However they say police failed to test Zimmerman's sobriety at the scene. And some claim he sounds intoxicated on the 911 recording.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 21, 2012, 09:32:58 AM

I just don't understand how he isn't in jail. The 911 recordings clearly indicate Zimmerman was the one engaging Martin even when the 911 said not to. Yet Martin gets shot and its self-defense. I just don't understand how the police department seem so non-effective in this case.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 21, 2012, 10:30:28 AM

the only weapon a neighborhood watch member should have is a phone.  what the hell was he doing with a gun? I wouldnt want anyone patrolling my neighborhood with one unless they were a LEO.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 21, 2012, 10:40:25 AM

Apparently the "Stand Your Ground" law includes;

a) follow someone in your car
b) get out of your car
c) confront them
d)chase them
e) grab and shoot them to death.

What could possibly go wrong with that?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 21, 2012, 12:38:20 PM

What was Zimmerman's state of mind as he was pursuing Martin?

He's an EQ of the call, a :43 sec. clip.

It's probably NSFW.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 22, 2012, 12:53:56 PM

Just to put things into perspective, and to throw out a question. Fifty-four people were shot in Chicago between Friday night and Monday morning last weekend. Ten of the victims were killed, including two boys, between 16 and 20. As sad as this situation is, what makes this so special, warranting marches, visits by Al Sharpton etc, and not Chicago which sounds pretty much like a blood bath occurred?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 22, 2012, 01:01:28 PM

Just to put things into perspective, and to throw out a question. Fifty-four people were shot in Chicago between Friday night and Monday morning last weekend. Ten of the victims were killed, including two boys, between 16 and 20. As sad as this situation is, what makes this so special, warranting marches, visits by Al Sharpton etc, and not Chicago which sounds pretty much like a blood bath occurred?

Because in this case the policemen knew who the gunmen was, knew the circumstances surrounding the shooting, and didn't arrest him. Hell, they didn't even take him into custody. That's why.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#7 : March 22, 2012, 01:09:38 PM

It's tough to enjoy your moral outrage when it's only Chicago.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 22, 2012, 01:15:30 PM

Do you think that the outrage is because a teenager got shot, or because of the way law enforcement handled the shooting? Both in relation to the victim and the perpetrator? Your posts suggest that you have already answered this question incorrectly.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 22, 2012, 01:27:03 PM

Because in this case the policemen knew who the gunmen was, knew the circumstances surrounding the shooting, and didn't arrest him. Hell, they didn't even take him into custody. That's why.

OJ Simpson wasn't arrested immediately.

There are laws that provide Zimmerman with a perfectly legal alibi that what he did was justified. There is however circumstantial evidence that Zimmerman might have been, let's say, over zealous. A report has been submitted to the Florida Prosecutors Office and if deemed appropriate, I assume an arrest will follow.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 22, 2012, 01:32:47 PM

I have read stories on both sides of this story. I have to say I am going to reserve judgment until they get all the information. Three agencies are now investigating this so to pass any judgment is ludicrous at this time...OBD

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 22, 2012, 01:39:23 PM

Just to put things into perspective, and to throw out a question.

Translation:
Please allow me to change the topic then reframe the debate thereby creating an analogy that is otherwise unrelated.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 22, 2012, 01:41:07 PM

Do you think that the outrage is because a teenager got shot, or because of the way law enforcement handled the shooting? Both in relation to the victim and the perpetrator? Your posts suggest that you have already answered this question incorrectly.

To be honest, I think it is because a black kid got shot by a white guy. Turns out to be Hispanic which blunted that a bit, but certain parties are trying to take advantage of it for political purposes. So instead of trying to identify and obtain true justice what we are getting is a lynch mob.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 22, 2012, 01:45:34 PM

Translation:
Please allow me to change the topic then reframe the debate thereby creating an analogy that is otherwise unrelated.

Real Translation:
Black on black crime doesn't warrant so much as batting an eyelid by those stirring the pudding.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 22, 2012, 01:54:34 PM

Translation:

Real Translation:
Black on black crime doesn't warrant so much as batting an eyelid by those stirring the pudding.

Again, missing the point entirely. I don't give a rats backside what race the guy is, it should be unacceptable that anyone be allowed to follow and gun down anyone, claim self defense, and have the local law enforcement agency just accept that with no due process. The only reason that this is getting looked into by state and federal law enforcement is because of those "pudding stirrers" you claim are only getting involved for political purposes.

You want to use this as an opportunity to attack the civil rights crowd, so be it. Just keep in mind, you are guilty of the exact same thing you are claiming that they are in doing so, which is choosing to use this as an opportunity to get on your proverbial soapbox and further your own political agenda.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 399
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trayvon Martin controversy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools