Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With blood in water, Bucs must strike « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 22, 2012, 12:16:34 AM

Fennelly: With blood in water, Bucs must strike

2011, CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF
The Saints rolled over the Bucs 27-16 in November. Next time, the Bucs will have the advantage.

By MARTIN FENNELLY | The Tampa Tribune
Published: March 22, 2012 - 12:00 AM

TAMPA --
The Bounty has sailed. Sean Payton and New Orleans sleep with the fishes. There is blood in the water in the NFC South.

The Bucs need to do more than just lick their chops.

They've got to strike.

The best team in the Bucs' division and one of the top offensive minds in football, once the pride of post-Katrina New Orleans, are the shame of the National Football League, which dropped the hammer, as if it had a choice, by booting head coach Payton for a year, docking draft picks, and we haven't even gotten to the player suspensions.

If only New Orleans coaches and players, before they started thinking about putting people's heads on pikes for valuable cash prizes and what not, had stopped and asked a very simple question:

"What would Tebow do?"

Holy Tim, could the Bucs' news be any better than it was Wednesday?

The Saints are scorched earth.

Ronde Barber says he's coming back for his sweet 16.

Up next: Nancy Grace denied press credential to Aqib Talib trial.

New Orleans is on the mat. In the best fighting tradition of the MMA, UFC and all that jazz, they need to kick the Saints while they're down, and kick everyone else, too.

What an opening for first-year Bucs coach Greg Schiano.

Go draft Justin Blackmon, wide receiver, instant offense. Name me a great team in this league who couldn't use two No. 1 receivers? Go grab Atlanta run-stuffing middle linebacker Curtis Lofton. Take something away from the Falcons, too.

It's time to move in for the kill.

The Bucs seem pretty clean in this whole bounty deal.

I mean, they hardly tackled anyone last season. Sean Payton's broken leg? Freebie.

You won't see a worse offseason than this Saints' offseason. Did we mention that record-setting quarterback Drew Brees is unhappy over his franchise tag? That whole franchise might implode. Maybe they should have brought in Tebow, just to have a saint among all those sinners.

What an opening for Schiano and the Bucs.

If the NFL teaches us one thing, it's that teams can turn around quickly. We saw it in San Francisco. We even saw 3-13 turn to 10-6 under Raheem Morris. Then again, it then turned to 4-12 and there went the Rah expedition.

But now the Saints are gasping for air.

You don't get chances like this. Move on Lofton, make it happen, move up a peg, take the Falcons down a peg, then hope Carolina's defense doesn't catch up to Cam Newton.

Payton deserves everything he gets. I wondered why Payton and New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis weren't fired by Saints owner Tom Benson.

But the NFL probably preferred this, laying law in advance of all those looming lawsuits from old concussed players, to say nothing of any possible civil actions by anyone injured against the Saints during bounty days.

Gregg Williams, former Saints defensive coordinator, is out of the league indefinitely, maybe for good good riddance. There is no place for bounty hunting, even if the NFL is Cutthroat Island. Few guaranteed contracts, Peyton, about that scar on your neck you're gone Timmy, thanks for playing and praying, we're going with Peyton

The New Orleans Saints are in trouble.

There's blood in the water in the NFC South.

The Bucs should do more than just circle.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 22, 2012, 12:19:28 AM

Though highly unlikely, I love the idea of getting Blackmon!!! Can you imagine a WR corps of V Jax, Blackmon, and Mike Will?!

traew01

Pro Bowler

#2 : March 22, 2012, 12:27:12 AM

Though highly unlikely, I love the idea of getting Blackmon!!! Can you imagine a WR corps of V Jax, Blackmon, and Mike Will?!

It all depends on how much faith you have in Benn. Personally, I have not seen Benn show that he can be an all-around receiver.

In today's NFL, and in the offense the Giants run - 3 receiver sets are the norm. Nicks, Manningham and Cruz.

If the Bucs can add a guy like Blackmon to the mix, it just makes this offense incredibly difficult to defend.

Im not pushing for it - but I wouldn't hate it. Fortunately, we can do no wrong with our pick. We are going to get a great player regardless.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 22, 2012, 12:33:37 AM

Im not pushing for it - but I wouldn't hate it. Fortunately, we can do no wrong with our pick. We are going to get a great player regardless.

Exactly. We will have either Blackmon, Claiborne or Richardson. All three have elite potential.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 22, 2012, 01:36:26 AM

Its true, the Aints are reeling.  Falcons are not scaring anyone, and the Panthers are a few drafts away IMO.

Time to step up Bucs.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#5 : March 22, 2012, 07:29:54 AM

blackmon isnt fast enough for me. Our offense is slow enough as it is. Sure hes an elite talent, but we have much more pressing needs then WR..if we didnt sign vincent jackson i could agree with this, but with either kalil/tr/claiborne on the board no way this happens.

Go Bucs

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 22, 2012, 07:48:22 AM

Dude , that's a terrible idea. Just by having a true #1 , and making Mike WIlliams a #2 and Benn a #3 slot wr , we've already got a kick ass wr core in place. We don't need blackmon.

Instead: Trent Richardson behind out new O-line....now imagine that.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 22, 2012, 10:29:59 AM

I don't see us drafting Blackmon or Kalil.... we can't commit too much more money to those positions...

Hate

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 22, 2012, 12:52:15 PM

With Rodgers, Brady, or Brees at QB, awesome. With Free, well......not so much!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 22, 2012, 12:59:18 PM

Wish it worked like that but it doesn't. I just scanned the 2000-2009 drafts real quick and every year atleast one team whiffed on a top 5 pick.

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 22, 2012, 01:29:38 PM

Fennelly writes like a fifth grader.  Was this supposed to be witty?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 22, 2012, 10:22:29 PM

Fennelly writes like a fifth grader.  Was this supposed to be witty?

That is his sense of humor, its a little quirky.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 22, 2012, 10:37:13 PM

Dude , that's a terrible idea. Just by having a true #1 , and making Mike WIlliams a #2 and Benn a #3 slot wr , we've already got a kick ass wr core in place. We don't need blackmon.

Indeed.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 22, 2012, 11:31:10 PM

Indeed.

Claiborne or Richardson is fine with me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 23, 2012, 12:25:35 AM

With all the bountygate stuff and Brees contract situation, I could see the Saints falling off to say.....8-8.   7-9

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With blood in water, Bucs must strike « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools