Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The worst defense in the 35 year history of the franchise...and... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 25, 2012, 10:06:02 AM

Of course, to get back on track, since some think derailing every thread is not trolling...

Dom has screwed the pooch so far in the defensive hunt for FAs.  Bucs needed to get a better corner.  Wright, after further review, is simply not that good.  I wasnt so sure about him, but I knew he came from a scrub secondary in Detroit, and he has a knack for giving up big plays.  He was rewarded with yet another crappy contract by Dom.  It is very easy to sign studs.  Those are no brainers.  The mid tier guys are where the fist meets the face.  Gotta get those right, and Dom has failed miserably in that regards.  He is not a good football mind.  Period.  He isn't.  He has not proven it.  But they do need to get at least one FA linebacker before the draft.  And a good one, with whats left.  He needs to stop being so tunnelvisioned into thinking HIS guys are good.  They arent.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 25, 2012, 10:14:03 AM

The Bucs first priority was getting their franchise QB some help and back on track and they did that with VJax and Nicks.  They signed a solid #2 corner in Wright and will turn to the draft to add more pieces.  I think Claiborne will be there and will be the pick at #5 and I see them adding a LB in the 2nd or 3rd.  I would like to see them add another LB before the draft but I think they are waiting for the 2nd wave of FA in June to add additional players and there are always a few studs that get cut at the same that can make an impact (anyone remember Keenan McCardell).   There are always some posters that will formulate their decisions on the team in March instead of in August but that to me is just foolish

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 25, 2012, 10:24:25 AM

The Bucs first priority was getting their franchise QB some help and back on track and they did that with VJax and Nicks.  They signed a solid #2 corner in Wright and will turn to the draft to add more pieces.
Solid is in the eyes of the beholder.  He may be a solid #2, but I think he is a flimsy #2.  He could have a new nickname here soon...and his pay was absolutely baffling.  He absolutely DID NOT deserve that contract.  Dom got ski masked and raped.

As for the FA cuts, I wouldn't hold my breath.  That is not being pro active in FA.  That is being lucky.

This defense needs a lot of help.  Wright and Barber and Biggers and LEwis and MAck and Gaitor are not going to stop anything.  They are not a good group.  And Talib is going to prison IMO, or at least headed towards a nice long suspension at the least...I have all but written Talib off.  Apparently Dom has not, which is not really assuring to me as a fan.  And Geno isnt likely to come back and Black sucks rocks (coaching aint helping this kid.  He just sucks, is slower than advertised, and a terrible tackler.  Foster is playing out of position, or isn't all that good...we'll see soon enough.  And the D-line is what it is.  A group that got shredded and bullied all over the field.  Sometimes numbers can present an infallible case.  In this instance, not only do numbers tell the truth, but the eyeball test tells me the Bucs defense is in for the same old same old if better athletes, smarter athletes, athletes with pride aren't brought in.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#33 : March 25, 2012, 10:33:49 AM

The Bucs first priority was getting their franchise QB some help and back on track and they did that with VJax and Nicks.  They signed a solid #2 corner in Wright and will turn to the draft to add more pieces.
Solid is in the eyes of the beholder.  He may be a solid #2, but I think he is a flimsy #2.  He could have a new nickname here soon...and his pay was absolutely baffling.  He absolutely DID NOT deserve that contract.  Dom got ski masked and raped.

As for the FA cuts, I wouldn't hold my breath.  That is not being pro active in FA.  That is being lucky.

Your right and only time will tell.  Dominik should have gotten his CB last year in Joseph but he didn't and that was then and this is now.  The Bucs cant fix every problem in 2 weeks.  Yes, the defense needs help but after three huge signings, the Bucs are pretty much forced to slow play the market and see who they get in the draft and then fill the remaining holes if needed.  That is the reality of the situation IMO....  Yes, they will need some luck with who is gonna get cut but teams prepare for this, especially after the draft when they evaluate not only their own roster and salary cap situation but other teams as well

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 25, 2012, 10:46:07 AM

The defense needs one well-respected, veteran ass-kicker.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 25, 2012, 10:47:05 AM

At least they did something this offseason lol. Nobody expected them to get even close to one of those big name guys yet they end up with two. And didnt ruin our cap in the process. Also last I checked the offseason is far from over. Still have draft to go and theres still plenty of FA out there that they can sign. They wont break the bank for guys anymore but thats good.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 25, 2012, 10:49:36 AM

Your right and only time will tell.  Dominik should have gotten his CB last year in Joseph but he didn't and that was then and this is now.  The Bucs cant fix every problem in 2 weeks.  Yes, the defense needs help but after three huge signings, the Bucs are pretty much forced to slow play the market and see who they get in the draft and then fill the remaining holes if needed.  That is the reality of the situation IMO....  Yes, they will need some luck with who is gonna get cut but teams prepare for this, especially after the draft when they evaluate not only their own roster and salary cap situation but other teams as well
Therein lies my conundrum regarding Luck V. Skill.

I have always said better lucky than good.  I find this to be very true often.  But he is a GM, and not a gambler.  He should have a solid contingency plan regarding the team from the ball boys up.  EVERYTHING.  But he doesn't.  It seems he just gets overwhelmed in FA in regards to mid tier guys.  It is too easy to sign studs like Nicks and Jackson.  Throw them the cash, these guys are worth it.  Guys like Wright do not.  Yet another mid tier mistake by Dom.

Clayton, Black, Wright, Trueblood, having no reliable backup to Blount (the London game was just pounds of stupid in regards to the backfield), these sorts of things add up and all point towards a trend.  And so far, with what I have been given, I think Dom is not a football mind.  He simply is not that good at analyzing the pay V. the play.  Polian anyone?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#37 : March 25, 2012, 11:10:48 AM

Considering blocking is not a QB's job, I don't see how that video says anything about Sanchez.

Freeman blocked for his team.

Freeman would make a good offensive lineman.   He's bigger than pretty much any defensive player in the NFL.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 25, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

Therein lies my conundrum regarding Luck V. Skill.

I have always said better lucky than good.  I find this to be very true often.  But he is a GM, and not a gambler.  He should have a solid contingency plan regarding the team from the ball boys up.  EVERYTHING.  But he doesn't.  It seems he just gets overwhelmed in FA in regards to mid tier guys.  It is too easy to sign studs like Nicks and Jackson.  Throw them the cash, these guys are worth it.  Guys like Wright do not.  Yet another mid tier mistake by Dom.

Clayton, Black, Wright, Trueblood, having no reliable backup to Blount (the London game was just pounds of stupid in regards to the backfield), these sorts of things add up and all point towards a trend.  And so far, with what I have been given, I think Dom is not a football mind.  He simply is not that good at analyzing the pay V. the play.  Polian anyone?

I'm not as down on MD as you but I definitely see your point.  For, example, I think MD is thinking that the defense will be a lot better with a healthy McCoy and Price up the middle but you cant count on that as they haven't shown they can stay healthy.  With that said, you would like to see a solid back-up at DT so the drop-off wouldnt be so significant if they get hurt.  MD prefers to try to use homegrown talent through the draft or from other teams Practice squads that they can develop as opposed to FA to full these holes.   I think that only works if you have great coaching which we didn't have last year as a whole and that is one of the biggest reasons the Bucs imploded.  I am optimistic that this strategy will work better with Schiano at the helm and the coaches he brought in but only time will tell.  With that said, I dont think we done in FA but I am trying to be patient

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 25, 2012, 11:29:41 AM

Sure, all that is good.

Raiding other teams practice squads can only get you so far.  That is not a way to fix problems.  The defenders the Bucs have are not all that good right now.  Biggers is awful IMO.  Mack is a STer for life.  Ronde is ancient.  Geno is most likely gone, and not all that good.  Black is the worst linebacker in the NFL.  Foster is meh, to date.  Coaching might help oneof these guys (Foster).  And you are dead on about McCoy and Price.  Price has the heart of a lion, and was so damned disruptive on  one leg leg it was scary.  If he gets to 90 percent and can stay injury free for a year, he will be a top flight pocket crusher, IMO.  McCoy is brittle, and if he goes down again, he is a bust.  Flat out bust.  Three season ending injuries in three years screams bust.  I want to see it first.  And even then, he wasnt the greatest run defender I have ever seen...far from it.

You and I are TRYING to be patient.  That is all we got man.  High five.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 25, 2012, 11:47:31 AM

Sure, all that is good.

Raiding other teams practice squads can only get you so far.  That is not a way to fix problems.  The defenders the Bucs have are not all that good right now.  Biggers is awful IMO.  Mack is a STer for life.  Ronde is ancient.  Geno is most likely gone, and not all that good.  Black is the worst linebacker in the NFL.  Foster is meh, to date.  Coaching might help oneof these guys (Foster).  And you are dead on about McCoy and Price.  Price has the heart of a lion, and was so damned disruptive on  one leg leg it was scary.  If he gets to 90 percent and can stay injury free for a year, he will be a top flight pocket crusher, IMO.  McCoy is brittle, and if he goes down again, he is a bust.  Flat out bust.  Three season ending injuries in three years screams bust.  I want to see it first.  And even then, he wasnt the greatest run defender I have ever seen...far from it.

You and I are TRYING to be patient.  That is all we got man.  High five.

Right back at you!   Good to see you can still have a logical healthy debate on this forum once in a while....

traew01

Pro Bowler

#41 : March 25, 2012, 12:44:43 PM

Thank you Boid for representing those of us critical of MD. I'm sure you don't like my style - but there needs to be more of this vocal debate.

I'm very concerned we are going to see more of the same from this defense. I'm not one who buys into the better coaching, more experience, and more rookies are going to suddenly turn this atrocious defense around. The root of the problem is lack of talent.  But addressing that problem would force Mr. Rock Star GM to admit he has made some terrible personnel choices on that side of the ball - and that would force him to be less smug, arrogant and holier than thou about his GM prowess.

And I can assure you that ain't happening.

It ain't gone be pretty in 2012.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 25, 2012, 12:47:43 PM

Thank you Boid for representing those of us critical of MD. I'm sure you don't like my style - but there needs to be more of this vocal debate.

I'm very concerned we are going to see more of the same from this defense. I'm not one who buys into the better coaching, more experience, and more rookies are going to suddenly turn this atrocious defense around. The root of the problem is lack of talent.  But addressing that problem would force Mr. Rock Star GM to admit he has made some terrible personnel choices on that side of the ball - and that would force him to be less smug, arrogant and holier than thou about his GM prowess.

And I can assure you that ain't happening.

It ain't gone be pretty in 2012.
I am not the banner waver for that guy...right or wrong.  But I know errors made when I see them.  This is not rocket surgery.  It is football, and it really is rather simple. Hope his youth and ego (his draft picks) can pull through for us.  Otherwise...the defense is in a sad state still.  Eric Wright is meh.  His contract is  ??? :o however...I hope Dom learns exponentially.  We fans need a good team to watch!

Also, bear in mind Schiano was not choice 1.  And if the BUcs would have landed Chip Kelly...Dear Lord...can you imagine how stupid Dom would have looked then?  He got lucky Phil Knight swooped in. 
: March 25, 2012, 12:49:18 PM Boid Fink

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 25, 2012, 02:27:07 PM

I agree. Dom has been a joke not doing anything to upgrade the worst part of the defense.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 25, 2012, 02:48:15 PM

Well, I guess there is zero chance that any of the guys we have drafted high in the draft recently can get better. Might as well over pay for a 2 down line backer. Curious... who on the defensive line (outside of Mario Williams) has there been worth signing?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The worst defense in the 35 year history of the franchise...and... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools