Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He's Baaaaaack! The Official PGA Golf Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 18 19 20

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #285 : September 30, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »

During Tiger's comeback from his issues/injury/coaching change, some made it seem that Mickelsen was a better golfer - that's why the references to him - he isn't. He really hasn't come close to Tiger Woods' accomplishments. He's pretty underachieved - had several opportunities to win majors but failed.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #286 : September 30, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »

During Tiger's comeback from his issues/injury/coaching change, some made it seem that Mickelsen was a better golfer - that's why the references to him - he isn't. He really hasn't come close to Tiger Woods' accomplishments. He's pretty underachieved - had several opportunities to win majors but failed.
Were those 'some' posters in this thread - or are you making something up?  I don't feel like checking. 

And just so you know, the British Open is a major - you know - the one Mickelson won this year?  And Mickelson is in the Golf HOF for a reason.  Not because he is better than Woods - but because he belongs there.  And not just because of wins or even just this year's major win.

Here are his 5 majors

Year   Championship   54 Holes   Winning score   Margin   Runner(s)-up
2004   Masters Tournament   Tied for lead   −9 (72–69–69–69=279)   1 stroke    Ernie Els
2005   PGA Championship   Tied for lead   −4 (67–65–72–72=276)   1 stroke    Thomas Bjørn,  Steve Elkington
2006   Masters Tournament (2)   1 shot lead   −7 (70–72–70–69=281)   2 strokes    Tim Clark
2010   Masters Tournament (3)   1 shot deficit   −16 (67–71–67–67=272)   3 strokes    Lee Westwood
2013   The Open Championship   5 shot deficit   −3 (69-74-72-66=281)   3 strokes    Henrik Stenson

And I am not going to list over 40 PGA wins...

No problem with you liking Woods - hell, I like Woods a lot right up to his issues with the Mrs.... when he showed the world he is pretty iffy on the character side.  Still - I appreciate his golf and hope he can get control of his Driver... and recapture his putting stroke. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #287 : September 30, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »

If you judge everything by majors, I guess you have a point. I go by earnings.

1....Tiger.............109 mil for his career

2....Lefty..............73 mil for his career

I don't know if you consider that  "not coming close to Tigers accomplishments"  ?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #288 : September 30, 2013, 06:46:43 PM »

Total PGA wins and total majors are the most important benchmarks.

TW has 14, Lefty 5 majors. (nearly a third of what TW has).

TW has 79 PGA wins, Lefty 42 (nearly half what TW has).

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #289 : September 30, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

And Lefty is in the Golf Hall of Fame for those numbers.  One can presume Woods will join him in the HOF - nothing bad to say about Woods on the course - off the course - he might have ruined his chances to take the Majors record from Nicklaus.  And that would be tragic

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #290 : September 30, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »

To you they are,. But not all people feel that way. .

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #291 : September 30, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »

Henrik Stenson just won one tournament and got a $11 million paycheck - that's the equivalent to winnings for 4-5 regular tour events. I'd argue that the guy that wins 4-5 events has a better PGA career than the guy that wins one $11 mil event.  Just demonstrates that total earnings isn't a good way to measure a player's overall success.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #292 : September 30, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »

Henrik Stenson just won one tournament and got a $11 million paycheck - that's the equivalent to winnings for 4-5 regular tour events. I'd argue that the guy that wins 4-5 events has a better PGA career than the guy that wins one $11 mil event.  Just demonstrates that total earnings isn't a good way to measure a player's overall success.

That is fine, I am just sayin for me, its all about the $$$$$$.    And for a lot of PGA players not named Eldrick or Lefty, their main priority is $$$$$$.. rather then being king of the world.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #293 : October 02, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »

Looking fwd to Pres Cup.

USA!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #294 : April 01, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »

His Baaaaaaaack!   Tiger out for Masters

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10709313/tiger-woods-back-surgery-pulls-masters

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #295 : April 01, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »

lol

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #296 : April 01, 2014, 10:33:01 PM »

Not good news for Woods, the PGA or Ryder Cup competition.  Hope the surgery is the solution.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #297 : April 02, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »

Its kinda funny, a couple years ago, Tiger was a lock to break Jacks record.  Now, its not looking like a sure thing anymore. I saw a list the other day, of all Tigers injuries, pretty extensive.  Back, achillles, knees.  There are NFL players that bang heads every Sunday for years, and they don't have the injury record Tiger does. Hitting a golf ball is a very unnatural movement.  Major stress on the body, especially the back. So who knows, he may never be the Tiger of old, again.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #298 : April 03, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

Click on the image for a larger version.

Oh, and I don't think it's a product of injury, I think he just doesn't have the motivation he once had. Golf is a mental game more than anything, and Tiger doesn't have as much to prove anymore.
« : April 03, 2014, 01:44:23 PM buccaneer4ever »

Page: 1 ... 18 19 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He's Baaaaaack! The Official PGA Golf Thread « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools