Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My case for Burflict in the 2nd « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #60 : March 28, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »

Obviously don't know the player...   but if there is a poster child for what Schiano doesn't want to be a 'Buccaneer Man'  Burflict is it.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #61 : March 28, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

Burfict doesnt deserve to be drafted at all.  He's an overrated bum.

But don't worry my fellow Bucs fans.  I guarantee you that the Bucs won't draft him.

He's exactly what coach Schiano doesn't want on this team.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #62 : March 28, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

But don't worry my fellow Bucs fans.  I guarantee you that the Bucs won't draft him.

They may not draft him.

Doesn't mean he won't turn it around and become a stud probowler

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #63 : March 28, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

They may not draft him.

Doesn't mean he won't turn it around and become a stud probowler

Not impossible.

But likely very improbable.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #64 : March 28, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

I know what you are talking about, but I still would not mind spending a 6th or 7th round pick on him, most of those players rarely make the roster anyway. His talent and our needs at LB makes him a little better than UDFA for Bucs.

What talent does he have?

Is he an elite athlete? No. His measurables are pathetic.
Is he greatly instinctual? No. He runs to where the ball ain't. So he's going the wrong place and lacks the tool to make up ground
Does he have a high "football IQ"? No. He doesn't understand the game to overcome lack of talent and instincts.
Does he cover well? No. He's not a guy who operates in space so he's a 2 down downhill linebacker who will miss his gap.
Does he show signs of being coachable? Ummm, no.

So other than a handful of BIIIIIIG hits what is he does that that we need?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #65 : March 28, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »

I think Burfict is worthy of atleast a 3rd or 4th rounder because at the very least he could be a monster on special teams. I think we should avoid him though because it would only take a day or two before him and Blount started slugging it out.

A monster on teams? Did you meana  nightmare? A guy who is a slow and has bad gap discipline would be awful on teams.

Again, not only do you not draft the guy you don't use a UDFA spot on him. Name me anything he does well.

He would make a good example when he gets cut. That's worth a UDFA spot. Any new boss needs someone to make an example of.

We already have Talib for that.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #66 : March 28, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

This year Brandon Spikes and New England is happy with him at MLB. Burflict won't go undrafted.

bamabucs

Starter

« #67 : March 28, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »

I know what you are talking about, but I still would not mind spending a 6th or 7th round pick on him, most of those players rarely make the roster anyway. His talent and our needs at LB makes him a little better than UDFA for Bucs.

What talent does he have?

Is he an elite athlete? No. His measurables are pathetic.
Is he greatly instinctual? No. He runs to where the ball ain't. So he's going the wrong place and lacks the tool to make up ground
Does he have a high "football IQ"? No. He doesn't understand the game to overcome lack of talent and instincts.
Does he cover well? No. He's not a guy who operates in space so he's a 2 down downhill linebacker who will miss his gap.
Does he show signs of being coachable? Ummm, no.

So other than a handful of BIIIIIIG hits what is he does that that we need?

Judging his measurables based on the combine at which he was out of shape is a pathetic assessment of an athlete on your part.

When he is in shape, he has the elite physical skill set you find in top LBs who get drafted in 1st round. His instincts aren't lacking, not sure how you have formed that opinion. He is much better in that aspect than the probable 2nd round prospect Mychal Kendricks. Not sure where you got your info regarding gap integrity, Vontaze's problem isn't biting on misdirections or overpursuing plays, if you ever watched some of his games you wouldn't say that. His problem is his temptation to deliver big hit instead of making a sure tackle, costing his team yards.

Again, its obvious you do not know much about assessing a linebacker basing on the points you chose to mention and the points you haven't mentioned. What is it he does that we need? Plenty. First and foremost, when he does attempt to tackle, he is one of the surest there is in this class. Second, he sniffs out run and crashes gaps to make plays instead of staying away from LoS and playing passive/safe like our LBs or Kuechly did at Boston College. Third, he is hands down the best ILB in this draft class at shedding blocks and getting to the runner. Show me a prospect in this class who did that better than Vontaze at college, and that is something this team could REALLY use.

The scouting report posted in OP is from NFL.com which is often a summary of Mayock's or Bucky Brooks' opinion. Even they see a guy who could be a star with correct mentality. I am not saying he needs to be drafted with a mid round pick, a late round pick would be a good investment for team like Tampa REGARDLESS of what our coach's mentality is. Worst case scenario, he does not yield and gets released, big deal, a wasted 6th/7th round pick, happens every year to many teams.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #68 : March 28, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Judging his measurables based on the combine at which he was out of shape is a pathetic assessment of an athlete on your part.

When he is in shape, he has the elite physical skill set you find in top LBs who get drafted in 1st round. His instincts aren't lacking, not sure how you have formed that opinion.

Again, its obvious you do not know much about assessing a linebacker basing on the points you chose to mention and the points you haven't mentioned.
The scouting report posted in OP is from NFL.com which is often a summary of Mayock's or Bucky Brooks' opinion. Even they see a guy who could be a star with correct mentality.

Wow, so much misinformed in one spot. His measurables got worse at his pro day so take your pick...he's not a good athlete OR he's a lazy SoB. I'm not sure one is better than the other.

As for where do we read he's not all that "aware"?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=42435
"Instincts are a bit inconsistent. Will under run plays at times trying to create in the backfield, showcasing the ability to find the ball inside, read his run keys and play off opposing linemen's proper shoulder. However, at times just plays out of control and looks to be guessing which gap to shoot as opposed to reading his keys inside taking himself out of big plays.  Doesn't get many proactive jumps on the football. Might be best suited to play outside at the next level where he can have more simplified reads.

http://bruce-feldman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/31626208/35006810
"I wouldn't touch him," said one scout. "He does have some talent, but he is so undisciplined on and off the field. The guy is completely out of control. There's no way you could trust him. I can't believe they (ASU coaching staff) didn't cut him loose."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/mayock-vontaze-burfict-is-not-a-first-round-player-at-all/
“His instincts aren’t good,” Mayock added. “He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. … For a big, strong guy, he’s nowhere near as strong at the point of attack as I thought he’d be.

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/02/17/vontaze-burfict-scouting-report/
My biggest concern with Vontaze Burfict, outside of his work ethic, is the amount of times he completely took himself out of the play by taking poor angles and guessing on where the ball was going.  He doesn’t have elite level instincts or play recognition.  He doesn’t always trust his eyes and guesses too

I could keep going. He's got some big hits but that is it. Not a player.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #69 : March 28, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »

I honestly thought this was an old thread that got fired up for "told ya so" purposes...until I clicked on it.

Someone hasnt been paying attention to the train wreck (or even ship wreck) of the past 6 months...known as Burfict's draft stock.

Dude will be lucky if his name is called at all.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My case for Burflict in the 2nd « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools