Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: the argument against taking a CB at 5 « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#135 : April 05, 2012, 07:35:29 AM

Giants were a poor pass defense (yds allowed) - Ranked 29 in the regular season.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

If they're any indication - it's a poor premise for selecting or not selecting a CB.
their #1 CB was lost for the season and their stats are probably skewed like GBs and the Pats because of their proflific offense.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#136 : April 05, 2012, 09:07:40 AM

Giants were a poor pass defense (yds allowed) - Ranked 29 in the regular season.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

If they're any indication - it's a poor premise for selecting or not selecting a CB.
their #1 CB was lost for the season and their stats are probably skewed like GBs and the Pats because of their proflific offense.
Yeah, they were #9 in pass defense in 2010, so it would appear losing Thomas as well as not having Osi and Tuck for extended stretches hurt them.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#137 : April 05, 2012, 04:54:11 PM

How many Giant corners scored a 4 on the wonderlic ??

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

White Tiger

Starter
#138 : April 05, 2012, 10:22:37 PM

We were susceptible to everything weren't we ?

Well, not sure how much you can attach to last year...another season where the star DT missed games due to injury...and Not sure how much of the susceptibility was perhaps brought on by players that decided to quit on a coach they had lost faith in...?

I think if you look beyond last season you can determine...historically, we are REALLY susceptible to the run.

tog

Pro Bowler
#139 : April 06, 2012, 12:35:20 AM

I just don't see how taking a corner at #5 helps you win games, especially in a 4-3 defense? I can however see how a mike linebacker (Donta Hightower), can make a 2nd or 3rd round corner - added to the current mix...can help you win games.

We were not susceptible to the pass...we were susceptible to the run.

Well considering that we were 21st in the league in pass defence with the worst run defence in the league, that we gave up the 2nd highest average per pass in the league, opposing QBs had the 4th best QBR against us... I'd say that our pass defence was just as bad as our run defence - the difference being teams didn't really need to pass the ball against us.

I also think our secondary desperately needs an injection of talent.  At BEST!!! our starting players next year are Talib, Barber, Wright (nickel), Jackson, and Grimm.  On its own that's not good because Barber's declined, Wright's on his 3rd team in 3 years, and Jackson and

I was going to go on a long rant detailing how bad our secondary is, but I really feel I don't need to.  At some point our injection of talent into the D-line needs to pay off and more than signing Lofton or anyone else that is going to vastly improve our run defence (contrast that with the DBs who have one 1st round pick who is likely to be suspended either way, a 3rd round pick drafted in '97, and a bunch of 4th-undrafted players).  Further, the easiest position to fill on defence is the LB core (not including 3-4 OLBs).  All we'd have to do is sign London Fletcher for cheap to man the middle for a year or two, bump Foster to Will and our LBs aren't that bad at all.  And unless we trade down and get Kuechly, or land Hightower in the 2nd, we'll sign some veterans after the draft.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#140 : April 06, 2012, 10:28:39 AM

Elite offenses score a lot of points and their opponents have to throw the ball a lot more to play catch up (and often against prevent defenses). This explains the "poor passing defense" of elite offensive teams. And, of course they have better run defenses because teams playing catch up don't run the ball much.

This
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: the argument against taking a CB at 5 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools