Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow may have a role on Jets’ special teams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 02, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »

Tim Tebow may have a role on Jets’ special teams

PFT
 Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT

Jets coach Rex Ryan said last week that a major challenge for the coaching staff will be finding creative ways to use new backup quarterback Tim Tebow while keeping Mark Sanchez in the role of starting quarterback. One of those ways of using Tebow may be on special teams.

Ryan wants to have Tebow on the field for 20 snaps a game, and as Peter King writes in today’s Monday Morning Quarterback, those snaps could include in a spread offense anywhere on the field, in goal-line situations, on two-point conversions, and maybe even using Tebow as the personal protector on the punt team.

Using a quarterback on special teams may sound strange, but it could make sense: Tebow is a big, strong, physical player who can block for the punter and then run downfield and make a tackle if he needs to. And a direct snap to Tebow would be a natural way to pick up a first down on a fake punt. Even if the Jets don’t run a fake punt with Tebow, the mere presence of Tebow on the punt team would give opposing teams one more thing to think about. It wouldn’t be unprecedented to use a backup quarterback as the protector on the punt team — the Vikings did it in 2009 with Tarvaris Jackson. Even without snapping to Jackson, the Vikings used his presence to sell the fake and keep the opposing punt block team honest.

Ryan said last week that his view of his top two quarterbacks is, “Tim Tebow is a good football player. Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback.” Tebow may get a chance to prove he’s a good football player at more than one position.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #1 : April 02, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »

Someone has to be a holder for the place kicker.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 02, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

protector on the punt team

Finally, someone playing to his strengths rather than trying to make him into a QB

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 02, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

How the mighty have fallen.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 02, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

lol, a 3rd for a punt protector and the occasional wildcat play....awesome!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 02, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »

The Jets look even dumber for trading a 3rd round pick for him. How could anyone think Tebow was their missing piece?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 02, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »

Making up jobs for him now?    Awesome.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 02, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

That sounds like a great idea...........to get him hurt.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 02, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

I didn't think he'd even have a role. LOL

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 02, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »

To think they gave up a nice draft pick for him is unreal.   Could be the downfall of Rex and Tannebaum [sp?]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 02, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

LACES OUT Tebow!!!!!!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 02, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »

LACES OUT Tebow!!!!!!

LOL

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 02, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »

Eh.... It's a living...

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #13 : April 02, 2012, 10:24:40 PM »

I almost feel sorry for the guy.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

J-Train

Pro Bowler

« #14 : April 02, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »

He had a choice.

Go to Jacksonville and start at QB or go to NY and be a punt protector. He's not as dumb as we thought lol.

Thanks for the sig Java!
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow may have a role on Jets’ special teams « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools