Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why do service members get all the love? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

spartan

Hall of Famer
#75 : April 04, 2012, 11:25:06 PM

I didn't think I arrived with confrontation on my mind but the way you put I can see how it came about.

I'm anti-war, anti-military and if I get one hardcord militant minded patriot to think of heroes as being other than gun toting g.i. joes then it's all worth it.

You just contradicted yourself there. It also demonstrates you have no clue what being in the military and being in combat is like.

I really want to beat you on the head with a shovel for that remark because it is low, low, low. Feel free to criticize the politics, but do not criticize the troops for simply doing what the those we voted for tell them to do. To refer back to your opening statement, someone has to clean up the sh*t, someone has to guard the criminals. Likewise some people have to stand guard and go places and do things we would never consider go ourselves. Whether you like it or not, Jack Nicholson actually came up with some very good points when he shot himself in the foot in "A Few Good men."

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#76 : April 04, 2012, 11:47:16 PM

That's the way I roll when you purposely mischaracterize my words.

Vince mischaracterizing your words? Surely you jest!  :o

Casting pearls before swine, etc.

I haved no doubt that you and CBW rub your "pearls" together.   :)

Funny thing how much both of you fit a stereotype and your comment here and before illustrates perfectly.  Both of you hold yourselves out to be something you must not really be given the crazy defensiveness and the apparent need to try to belittle others.  CBW, with his cut and paste arguments, most of which he does not even understand and you with the scripture reference in one post and a "that's how I roll" in another.  The two of you make quite a pair. So threatened.  Does not exactly impress as to your qualities, especially considering the very modest forum.  Carry on now boys with your very serious business   ;D

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#77 : April 04, 2012, 11:49:51 PM

It is, and has always been VOLUNTARY. If you don't like it you don't have to participate. Easy when you get down to it.

institutionalized patriotism is not necessarily voluntary nor is it necessarily sincere.

True, but not sure how it comes into play here. Is it patriotism to show respect to someone who may have just walked out of a combat zone because the people we voted to run the country decided that was where they were going to be? Some do it for patriotic reasons, some do it because they have been there and understand little things mean a lot sometimes, some do it like sheep, some do it because they truly appreciate the service these guys and gals provide. Wrapping everything up into some neat bushel doesn't apply here IMO.

Have you ever known me to wrap anything into a neat bushel?

But on the institutionalized patriotism thing, it's is never out of play. That's kind of the point I'm making.

On the latter, yes, but why focus on the negative when for the most part the driving factor is positive and honorable?

Did it ever occur to you that some feel they are forced by IP into a betrayal of their own integrity by trying to live up to an artificial brand of patriotism that is in reality an insult and bastardization of the true spirit of patriotism which can only emanate from the within?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#78 : April 04, 2012, 11:52:32 PM

It is, and has always been VOLUNTARY. If you don't like it you don't have to participate. Easy when you get down to it.

institutionalized patriotism is not necessarily voluntary nor is it necessarily sincere.

True, but not sure how it comes into play here. Is it patriotism to show respect to someone who may have just walked out of a combat zone because the people we voted to run the country decided that was where they were going to be? Some do it for patriotic reasons, some do it because they have been there and understand little things mean a lot sometimes, some do it like sheep, some do it because they truly appreciate the service these guys and gals provide. Wrapping everything up into some neat bushel doesn't apply here IMO.

But on the institutionalized patriotism thing, it's is never out of play. That's kind of the point I'm making.

On the latter, yes, but why focus on the negative when for the most part the driving factor is positive and honorable?

Did it ever occur to you that some feel they are forced by IP into a betrayal of their own integrity by trying to live up to an artificial brand of patriotism that is in reality an insult and bastardization of the true spirit of patriotism which can only emanate from the within?

LMAO

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#79 : April 04, 2012, 11:56:05 PM

Funny thing how much both of you fit a stereotype and your comment here and before illustrates perfectly.  Both of you hold yourselves out to be something you must not really be given the crazy defensiveness and the apparent need to try to belittle others.  CBW, with his cut and paste arguments, most of which he does not even understand and you with the scripture reference in one post and a "that's how I roll" in another.  The two of you make quite a pair. So threatened.  Does not exactly impress as to your qualities, especially considering the very modest forum.  Carry on now boys with your very serious business   ;D

LMAO!!! Potato? What do you mean potato?

(my imitation of vince if he were responding to his own comment)

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#80 : April 04, 2012, 11:59:31 PM

LMAO, you do understand the difference between patriotism and a potato, right? What's the difference between patriotism and a potato?

(vince usually posts multiple times in a row just to reinforce the misrepresentation, and he should consider looking into trademarking "LMAO". It's become a predictable response)

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#81 : April 05, 2012, 12:00:43 AM

Got a link scarecrow?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#82 : April 05, 2012, 12:01:23 AM

What? First, translate that into English, and second the words bath and baby water spring to mind.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#83 : April 05, 2012, 12:02:26 AM

Anyways, back to subject matter. The first I observed this kind of thing was servicemen and service women being paid respect by older veterans, i.e. Vietnam vets who were treated like a piece of **CENSORED** when they came back from the combat zone. They made clear and visible signs of respect that said, been there and seen that son, you're not alone. People caught on.

Maybe I missed what you're referring to in this thread but the OP was whining about the airlines' policy of allowing service personnel to board the plane before the bulk of the passengers .... not something that was voluntary.

Unless the Govt mandated the Airlines do this, yes it is voluntary.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#84 : April 05, 2012, 12:07:07 AM

What? First, translate that into English, and second the words bath and baby water spring to mind.

LMAO (Part II)

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#85 : April 05, 2012, 12:09:08 AM

Okay were done. I thought you were serious but you seem more at ease w/ the silly analogies and unlettered arguments crowd.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#86 : April 05, 2012, 12:12:15 AM

Got a link scarecrow?

It's cute that vince thinks it's an insult to accuse someone of providing references for their posts. Perhaps if he did that he wouldn't always come across as a moron.

Uh... I mean Potato?!?!?!?!

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#87 : April 05, 2012, 12:13:11 AM

Anyways, back to subject matter. The first I observed this kind of thing was servicemen and service women being paid respect by older veterans, i.e. Vietnam vets who were treated like a piece of **CENSORED** when they came back from the combat zone. They made clear and visible signs of respect that said, been there and seen that son, you're not alone. People caught on.

Maybe I missed what you're referring to in this thread but the OP was whining about the airlines' policy of allowing service personnel to board the plane before the bulk of the passengers .... not something that was voluntary.

Unless the Govt mandated the Airlines do this, yes it is voluntary.

My bad, then .... looked like you were referring to the fellow passengers. DIdn't realize you were talking to the airlines.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#88 : April 05, 2012, 12:14:08 AM

Got a link scarecrow?

It's cute that vince thinks it's an insult to accuse someone of providing references for their posts. Perhaps if he did that he wouldn't always come across as a moron.

A "reference" implies you understand it scarecrow.  That's why I find you so amusing, you don't "get" your own links. Pre- Emerald City I guess

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#89 : April 05, 2012, 12:22:08 AM

Got a link scarecrow?

A "reference" implies you understand it scarecrow.  That's why I find you so amusing, you don't "get" your own links. Pre- Emerald City I guess

Link?   ;D

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why do service members get all the love? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools