Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why do service members get all the love? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 04, 2012, 12:04:03 PM

Face.  Palm.

Because they're literally putting their lives on the line for our benefit.  Letting uniformed servicemen board first is a really trivial way to say, "hey, thanks guys".  Whining about it seems pretty immature.

QFT.

wreck ship wins the Asshat of the Week award.
No. The U.S. soldier who shot up the women and kids in Kabul wins that for every week of this year.

But I'm sure you've forgotten about that already

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 04, 2012, 12:07:15 PM

Because they're literally putting their lives on the line for our benefit. 

Well you're at least half right.
Even if you want to argue that they're being misused (a topic for a different thread, imo)

So you've changed your mind apparently.
: April 04, 2012, 12:08:53 PM Durango 95

acacius

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 04, 2012, 12:32:55 PM

Even if you want to argue that they're being misused (a topic for a different thread, imo)

You seem to be having reading comprehension issues.  I'm saying that the "for out benefit" line reffered to  the motivations of the soldier, sailors, marines and airmen themselves.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 04, 2012, 12:39:43 PM

You seem to be having reading comprehension issues.  I'm saying that the "for out benefit" line reffered to  the motivations of the soldier, sailors, marines and airmen themselves.

Thanks for clearing that up.  ::)

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 04, 2012, 12:50:52 PM

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 04, 2012, 01:14:33 PM

Certainly service people serve for their own benefit as well (education, better life etc.), but are there any other reasons in your mind? If they don't serve "for our benefit" then are they purely and solely motivated by their own circumstances?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 04, 2012, 01:15:03 PM

The politicians who are ordering them may debateable motives, but in my experience, most servicemen really are patriots, and their patriotism is a significant factor in their choosing to serve.  Even if you want to argue that they're being misused (a topic for a different thread, imo), I don't see the harm in showing them a bit of gratitude.  Particularly when they're travelling in uniform, as that generally means they're either travelling from duty station to duty station or TDY.  So they're on-the-clock, essentially.
I understand what your saying. My rant isn't against the soldiers themselves but the business that feel the need to single them out as if there isn't any other professions worthy of honoring.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 04, 2012, 01:29:34 PM

And I do understand your point.  Soldiers certainly aren't the only ones whose sacrifices are worth celebrating.  Honestly, I think it largely boils down to it not being possible to do something for everyone, the uniforms make it easy to identify them, and they travel more than most people.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 04, 2012, 01:39:51 PM

Face.  Palm.

Because they're literally putting their lives on the line for our benefit.  Letting uniformed servicemen board first is a really trivial way to say, "hey, thanks guys".  Whining about it seems pretty immature.

QFT.

No. The U.S. soldier who shot up the women and kids in Kabul wins that for every week of this year.

Surely your not suggesting that he is the norm right? I mean that would be even more ridiculous than this thread.

You're a huge **CENSORED**, not much debating that. Why don't you enlist and then you can tell us the difference. You are truly a **CENSORED**ing moron. Wow, I'm astonished. Men and women put their lives on the line for this country, let's not debate the reasons for the war, and you **CENSORED** because they load an airplane before you!?!?!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 04, 2012, 01:41:05 PM

Certainly service people serve for their own benefit as well (education, better life etc.), but are there any other reasons in your mind? If they don't serve "for our benefit" then are they purely and solely motivated by their own circumstances?

The statement says "putting their lives on the line for our benefit".

Why individuals choose to serve is another matter entirely.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 04, 2012, 01:52:05 PM

The statement says "putting their lives on the line for our benefit".

Why individuals choose to serve is another matter entirely.
It wouldn't be if you didn't stick so stubbornly to your original misinterpretation of what I was saying when I wrote that.  (I'll add that your initial misinterpretation was perfectly reasonable.  My initial statement could, in fact, have as easily refered to actions rather than intentions.  However, your unwillingness to accept that that was not the interpretation that I'd intended is not especially reasonable.)
: April 04, 2012, 01:59:03 PM acacius

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 04, 2012, 02:11:32 PM

Face.  Palm.

QFT.

Surely your not suggesting that he is the norm right? I mean that would be even more ridiculous than this thread.

You're a huge **CENSORED**, not much debating that. Why don't you enlist and then you can tell us the difference. You are truly a **CENSORED**ing moron. Wow, I'm astonished. Men and women put their lives on the line for this country, let's not debate the reasons for the war, and you **CENSORED** because they load an airplane before you!?!?!
Asshat?
Huge **CENSORED**
A **CENSORED**ing moron

Everything else you said sounds like a screaming 11 yr old spoiled brat.

Mad others don't share your same beliefs or opinions? Sensative a little?
Don't log onto the internet

spartan

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 04, 2012, 02:19:00 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They have freedom of speech. However, there are certain subject matters where you really should just shut up. This is one of them.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 04, 2012, 02:22:39 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They have freedom of speech.
Spoken like a true shepard.

Try and get that through sheep like BucNY and you'll really impress me.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 04, 2012, 02:28:43 PM

I am starting to understand the OP's logic on this one and am going to follow it. I plan to park in the handicap spot next time I go to the store. Why should they get the best parking spots?
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why do service members get all the love? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools