Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs interest in Okoye is said to be mutual « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 05, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

APRIL 05, 2012

Bears free agent DT Amobi Okoye on the Bucs' radar

Given the Bucs’ investment in defensive tackle the past few seasons, the position was expected to have been among the team’s strengths by now.

But injuries to Gerald McCoy and Brian Price the past two seasons have, at times, reduced the interior of the defensive line to a weakness, resulting in the desperate signings of Albert Haynesworth, John McCargo and others.

But the Bucs have a chance to avoid this problem by augmenting the depth – and thereby increasing the competition – at defensive tackle.

One option: Bears free agent tackle Amobi Okoye, a former first-round pick of the Texans who has started 59 games in his five season and had four sacks in 2011 – including one against Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman.

We’ve learned the Bucs are interested in signing Okoye, interest that is said to be mutual. But Okoye has other suitors, too, including the Broncos, Bengals and Bears. It does not seem a resolution is imminent, though that could change quickly.

A return to the Bears seems less likely if you believe Chicago general manager Phil Emery, who was quoted in the Chicago Tribune saying, “Right now, Amobi is trying to decide which direction he is going. We've had conversations with him. So far, we have not been able to work out a deal. Amobi is probably going in a different direction.”

Okoye, if acquired by the Bucs, would fit nicely in a three-man rotation at defensive tackle. He would provide an upgrade over the current third tackle, Roy Miller, and would take some of the load off of Price, who struggled in 2011 to fight through his ongoing pelvic and hamstring issues.

Another reason Okoye is appealing: The native Nigerian is just 24, but has a full five seasons of NFL experience. He’s considered a disruptive force who gets off the line of scrimmage with quickness, providing an interior pass rush.

Currently, the Bucs have five defensive tackles on their 80-man offseason roster: McCoy, Price, Miller, McCargo and Frank Okam.

General manager Mark Dominik has repeatedly responded to queries about additional free-agent signings by saying the team is focused squarely on the draft. But Dominik did not rule out further roster moves between now and the draft, either.

Okoye played under a 1-year contract for $1.382 million last season. His current contract demands are unknown.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 2:07:24 pm on April 05, 2012

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 05, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »

He may be looking for much more than that 1.3 he was making.  Could be looking for a mega deal.  Last I heard we had 15mil in cap and still have to sign the rooks.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #2 : April 05, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »

He may be looking for much more than that 1.3 he was making.  Could be looking for a mega deal.  Last I heard we had 15mil in cap and still have to sign the rooks.

Don't know if he'll get a mega-deal, but I'll be he'll make more per year than Lofton did ;)

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 05, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »

What's a middle of the road deal for a guy like this?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 05, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

I say give him a deal with incentives. If McCoy and Price go down again this guy will be the starter. Hate to say it but based on their past thats likley. Hopefully not. Knock on wood. If Im the Bucs I offer this kid a raise on last year with another raise if he ends up being the starter.

lowlife

Starter
« #5 : April 05, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

I doubt a rotational DT is looking for anything close to a 'mega deal.'

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 05, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

I would think he'd think  (weird sentence)  that the Bucs would be a good opportunity for him...

Any relationships to our current coaching staff?

4 year $10m with playing incentives?    Is that too rich?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 05, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

I would think he'd think  (weird sentence)  that the Bucs would be a good opportunity for him...

Any relationships to our current coaching staff?

4 year $10m with playing incentives?    Is that too rich?

I think so too. Coaches that are good with young kids and good teachers. Would be an excellent fit for him.

I dont think thats too much. Will be interesting to see what he goes for.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 05, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »

I doubt a rotational DT is looking for anything close to a 'mega deal.'

Thats what we see in him.....what he thinks could be totally different.  If he saw himself as just a rotational DT, he probably would of re-signed with Da Bears already.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 05, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »

with Miller being one of the worst DT's in the league statiscally... (according to the other thread)...   Akoye might be a quick win.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 05, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

I think he's a guy we can sign post-draft when we know what holes still need to be filled.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 05, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »

Post draft - I would think his price would actually go up...    to teams who didn't get their guy...

never know how these things play out...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 05, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »

Just reading between the lines.....if 5 teams are in the mix and he hasn't signed anywhere yet, that leads me to believe its all about the  $$$$.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 05, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »

I would be fine with signing him for a $10-12 mil overall deal. He would be a huge upgrade from Roy "Boitano" Miller.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 05, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

in 07 he signed a 6 yr $15m deal with Texans, but was released in July 2011 and lost $2.95m + in salary. (only paid $12m for four years.)

He made $1.38m in 11 from the Bears on a one year deal.

I'd say at this point - it probably is about money (and IMO rightfully so.)

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs interest in Okoye is said to be mutual « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools