Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs interest in Okoye is said to be mutual « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#45 : April 07, 2012, 12:11:08 PM

Both dude.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 07, 2012, 12:20:27 PM

just not a big fan of using FA on guys that are proven "depth" only.  That's what round 3-7 in the draft are for.  Only hopefully some of those guys end up being more than that.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#47 : April 07, 2012, 12:27:57 PM

just not a big fan of using FA on guys that are proven "depth" only.  That's what round 3-7 in the draft are for.  Only hopefully some of those guys end up being more than that.

I think with Okoye we we have a starter in him and depth. McCoy and Price have been injured both years they've played in the nfl. It hurt us when we didn't have a good replacement. Okoye can be that rotational guy and can start in case something happens.

#48 : April 07, 2012, 01:00:18 PM

So you'd rather spend a draft pick on a spot that this team we can fill in FA when there's a dozen other holes fill?

I don't understand that line of reasoning.

There's currently only 6 picks this year.

I think you're underestimating the importance of a good DL rotation...................

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 07, 2012, 01:16:11 PM

So you'd rather spend a draft pick on a spot that this team we can fill in FA when there's a dozen other holes fill?

I think you're underestimating the importance of a good DL rotation...................
do we have several holes on the team?  Sure, but holes are generally considered starter positions and you really can't expect rookie year starters out of the draft other than the first two rounds.  Even round two isnt a given.  Sure we might get lucky after that but you cant count on it.  So I believe holes in the starting lineup should be filled through FA and since you are adding talent in the mid and late rounds to develop there is your depth.  Hopefully a few become more than that.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 07, 2012, 01:17:11 PM

...or on the other hand, you could sign both of these guys then use the middle/late rounds to either increase depth in other needed areas (OL/DB/LB)...alternatively you could use those later picks to package and acquire the coveted 4th rounder that we lost last year perhaps gaining someone who could be something more than camp body or special teamer. There's plenty of possibilities but it depends on how aggressive you'd like to be this year...

#51 : April 07, 2012, 01:19:14 PM

do we have several holes on the team?  Sure, but holes are generally considered starter positions and you really can't expect rookie year starters out of the draft other than the first two rounds.  Even round two isnt a given.  Sure we might get lucky after that but you cant count on it.  So I believe holes in the starting lineup should be filled through FA and since you are adding talent in the mid and late rounds to develop there is your depth.  Hopefully a few become more than that.

I thought we were talking about depth too.

Remember what happened when the injuries hit last season. There wasn't much there...........

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#52 : April 07, 2012, 01:20:27 PM

for the record I don't care if we add Okoye to the roster.  Just was speaking in general terms about how teams should be built.  But we could also get someone like Josh Chapman in the 3rd and his upside from everything I've read   is that he is a starting quality NT once he is healed.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#53 : April 07, 2012, 01:21:54 PM

I like Mike Martin in the 3rd or 4th round for a rotational/future starter at NT. Derek Wolfe could be a nice late round gem at DT also.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#54 : April 07, 2012, 07:17:36 PM

This year there was something like 350 free agents on the market.  Are all those guys starting material?  A small percentage are, the rest are backups. Teams need good depth just as much as good starters.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs interest in Okoye is said to be mutual « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools