Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Claiborne and the Wonderlic test shedding light on a bigger issue? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« : April 05, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »

Other than this board I read a couple forums where the comments were pretty much the same saying he is an idiot. This may be true or he really has a learning disability, is dyslexic, and/or flat out can't read. How can a student spend several years at a major university without this being addressed? Of course personal initiative does come to play but I think it is harder in an environment where an athlete’s ass is kissed on the regular. This goes beyond Claiborne. Too often in football and basketball we hear guys in interviews who can't say one sentence grammatically correct that is if they don't sound like they have a speech impediment. As a society when we see a public school failing we tend to blame parents, teachers, and the school itself all the way up to the school board. Why are colleges not held to the same standards considering they are making millions off these kids?

Also, I am sure colleges do an assessment to see how students are academically when they recruit them from high school. These colleges know for a fact (as well as us) these kids would not be going to these schools if it wasn't for their athletic ability. Now colleges do a good job attempting to cover scandals and players bad behavior but can the same be said about their education?

Thoughts?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 05, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »

Depends on the school...

Related to us - Rutgers has done well with their students education.

Vandy is very restrictive...   and a few others.   But I think as a general rule, it's their talent, not their 'head' they're after...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #2 : April 05, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

It's definitely an indictment on college athletics, specifically football. I'd like to see his college transcripts, SATs, etc. I'm thinking they (LSU) fudged a lot for him and a lot of other players. And they're not the only university that does it. NFL needs a minor league system for players like Claiborne who aren't college material.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 05, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

Thats a pretty good idea.

Not sure how to make it work though...   the NFL would end up with a lot of older players, eventually.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #4 : April 05, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

For those who haven't been to college, or haven't been to college in awhile, Professors and the school will help any and every student who has a learning disadvantage.

Couple that with the fact that the majority of Student-Athletes don't have difficult classes to begin with, then I'm not sure what is left to discuss.

Ludicrous Speed

Starter
« #5 : April 05, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »

Here's a quote everyone will recognize that pretty much puts it all into perspective:

http://www.drodd.com/gump/degree.wav

Meet the new bossSame as the old boss

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #6 : April 05, 2012, 03:31:35 PM »

For those who haven't been to college, or haven't been to college in awhile, Professors and the school will help any and every student who has a learning disadvantage.

Couple that with the fact that the majority of Student-Athletes don't have difficult classes to begin with, then I'm not sure what is left to discuss.

That statement sounds more correct for a community college.

smithcar

Starter

« #7 : April 05, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »

I work with people that have learning disabilities and some are very severe some are not.  If he has a diagnosis of a Learning disability but was still able to play ball at the level he was I am assuming he has a minor LD or LSU screwed with his scores to even get him into college and stay there for his career with them.  Either could be true, that aside I teach a student right now that has an IQ of 55 which puts him under the umbrella of mentally handicapped (normal or averae is over 100) but this boy is able to play elite soccer on two teams at one time and be the star of both teams.  Granted it is soccer not football but it shows that an athlete is an athlete and still can  be successful no matter there IQ or score on a test.   In case people have forgotten there are players in the hall of fame that have learning disabilities, one for instance is Terry Bradshaw.  He did ok didn't he???

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 05, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »

Bradshaw, really?

I always knew there was something wrong with that boy.

Nonetheless, I'm hoping we pick TR.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 05, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »

LSU could have known he had a learning disability but did not want to make it an issue.

The real question is why should we care? The real issue issue is the decline of respect for others in this new technology age.

At the end of the year no one will care and it will be a mute issuse but for right now there are a bunch of disrespectful mother**CENSORED**ers with nothing better to do than drag someone through the mud.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : April 05, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »

Didn't realize our American universities find ways to educate and provide degrees to people who can't read, write, or do simple math. It used to be higher education was reserved for those with earned good grades in high school and showed an aptitude for higher learning.

What the hell is going on in our education system, anyway?

Coburn1

Starter

« #11 : April 05, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

Kind of already knew this about US universities. Talked to a manager at Siemens who goes to the Toastmasters club I used to attend. At the time I was thinking of doing additional education. I had considered a US school and Canadian school and asked him which would be better. He stated with my experience it wasn't a huge deal, but if I had come right out of school they tend to consider US universities a lot lower (except those with high reputations) because of the emphasis on athletics and the fact they often breeze athletes through.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #12 : April 05, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

Didn't realize our American universities find ways to educate and provide degrees to people who can't read, write, or do simple math. It used to be higher education was reserved for those with earned good grades in high school and showed an aptitude for higher learning.

What the hell is going on in our education system, anyway?

Well to begin with instructors are punished for issuing failing grades to those that have less brain usage than a turnip.  Truth be told when an instructor fails most of his class the instructor should be rewarded not vilified.

Self esteem comes from real accomplishment not BS praise.

Interesting thread most are making excuses for Claiborne's low score saying it doesn't matter on other sites.   refreshing to see some have the same questions I do.

I am not so sure any more.  I can remember watching Reggie Nelson at UF and honestly believing he was one of the best college safeties I had seen in a long time.  He likewise had real academic struggles.  Funny how Jax couldn't get rid of him fast enough.   HMMM?   Could be that intelligence is important in Pro Football?

Even our own Blount has some serious academic problems in his background and I really like Blount but.....     I with hold judgment until the end of next season after he has had a full off season of OTA's.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #13 : April 05, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »

LSU could have known he had a learning disability but did not want to make it an issue.

The real question is why should we care? The real issue issue is the decline of respect for others in this new technology age.

At the end of the year no one will care and it will be a mute issuse but for right now there are a bunch of disrespectful mother**CENSORED**ers with nothing better to do than drag someone through the mud.
''''

Dragged through the mud?

HUH???

Claiborne took the test and showed he should never been in college.   Brutal fact.      Can't blame anyone but himself.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 05, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »

why U mad tho ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Claiborne and the Wonderlic test shedding light on a bigger issue? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools