Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Claiborne and the Wonderlic test shedding light on a bigger issue? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

djrobbied530

Second String

#30 : April 06, 2012, 12:38:20 PM

So they call it a "learning disability"?  When I was a kid, they just said a kid didn't apply himself or didn't study hard enough, or didn't give a crap in school.

I don't know when you were a kid, but you know, things aren't exactly the same. Gas doesn't cost 5 cents, and Bye Bye Birdy isn't a hit anymore.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#31 : April 06, 2012, 12:39:49 PM

He's brandished a thug based on his comments on twitter about making money....probably the same answer he gave his junior high, high school and college educators when they demanded that he study hard and do the course work.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 06, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

A university education isn't a right, is it?  Something tells me LSU wouldn't accept Claiborne as a student if he weren't an athlete.  There's a double standard there.  Do they have admission standards at that school? Obviously not.

For a change we are on the same side of the fence on an issue.  As stated earlier  Instructors that fail half their class for not meeting standards of proficiency should be rewarded not condemned by the public and government.

Look up "Declining by Degrees"  and you will see that a college degree today is more like getting a high school diploma in the 60's and 70's.  Sure there are still some very serious and arduous disciplines in college but they are seldom if ever pursued by college athletes who by far are at the bottom of the totem pole in academic acumen.

You may disagree but I am still absolutely appalled that Tim Tebow was selected as the Number one scholar athlete in football two straight years.

His major?   Youth and Family services!!   WTF?

Hey I have no problem recognizing him as the Number CFB player during some of the years of college likewise vote him Christian College Athlete of the Century but scholar athlete of the year?  BS!

djrobbied530

Second String

#33 : April 06, 2012, 12:41:35 PM

So, is Morris Claiborne a "thug" because he's black? If he's white would he be a thug?

A shock, 20-21 year old kids want to get paid. That's a stunning development.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 06, 2012, 12:43:49 PM

So they call it a "learning disability"?  When I was a kid, they just said a kid didn't apply himself or didn't study hard enough, or didn't give a crap in school.

I don't know when you were a kid, but you know, things aren't exactly the same. Gas doesn't cost 5 cents, and Bye Bye Birdy isn't a hit anymore.

I will never understand how some in our society want to applaud Dumb and Dumber and revile anyone with intelligence and achievement in Academics?

Oh and he is not a Kid, but I can see why you might confuse him with some child not out of 3rd grade yet. :'(

Runole

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 06, 2012, 12:45:58 PM

So, is Morris Claiborne a "thug" because he's black? If he's white would he be a thug?

No he is a thug because he talks and acts like one with his comments which will never be confused with Warren Sapp Derrick Brooks Warrick Dunn or Ronde Barber. To name a few....

djrobbied530

Second String

#36 : April 06, 2012, 12:46:21 PM

I will never understand how some in our society want to applaud Dumb and Dumber and revile anyone with intelligence and achievement in Academics?

Oh and he is not a Kid, but I can see why you might confuse him with some child not out of 3rd grade yet. :'(

I'm not applauding him, but I will stand up for someone with a documented learning disability, who people like you, will attempt to denigrate.

djrobbied530

Second String

#37 : April 06, 2012, 12:48:05 PM

No he is a thug because he talks and acts like one with his comments which will never be confused with Warren Sapp Derrick Brooks Warrick Dunn or Ronde Barber. To name a few....

Right, but answer the question. If Morris Claiborne was white, would he be a thug because he makes comments about being a top 10 pick, and being paid?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 06, 2012, 01:03:29 PM

I'm not applauding him, but I will stand up for someone with a documented learning disability, who people like you, will attempt to denigrate.

Learning disability?   You have got to be kidding!

Sorry, but being a former teacher his problems academically are not because of any learning disability. His commentary shows someone that has never taken academics seriously his whole life. Just a lazy thug with athletic talent looking to impregnate a couple  of dozen women and run out of money for child support.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#39 : April 06, 2012, 02:39:32 PM

Glad you're a former teacher and not a current one.

But it's still pretty sad that you were involved in the development of young people.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#40 : April 06, 2012, 03:18:53 PM

In this day and age of giving every kid a trophy, even when he's in last place, and giving him a hug when he strikes out, we need old school teachers who hold students accountable and not give them an "out" if they underachieve in school.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : April 06, 2012, 03:31:41 PM

Glad you're a former teacher and not a current one.

But it's still pretty sad that you were involved in the development of young people.

Was voted teacher of the year at my school not that means anything to someone like you.  I am certainly glad I am not a part of the corrupt without standards educational system we have today where everyone gets a gold star just because they know how to sit in their seats and pass gas.

News flash!  Self esteem comes from accomplishment not BS!  Learning takes effort by the student it doesn't come by strictly osmosis.  Memorization is not a dirty word.

The educational system in the US has gone from one of the finest in the world to ranking in the high 30's with other industrialized nations and Florida ranks in the mid 40's in the US..   

Again.  The teacher that flunks half of the class that have not shown remotely any verifiable proficiency in a particular course of study should be rewarded not condemned because they actually have standards of excellence.

The downfall in Hillsborough county began when some "GENIUS" decided that one could earn better than a 4.0 GPA...  Probably the same genius that parrots everyone should give 110%! LOL    WTF?

Remember a few years ago when some girl at King High School allegedly had a 8.3? GPA..  Clearly she should be declared the smartest human that has ever existed in the history of the world!   :D :D

Runole

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 06, 2012, 03:33:36 PM

In this day and age of giving every kid a trophy, even when he's in last place, and giving him a hug when he strikes out, we need old school teachers who hold students accountable and not give them an "out" if they underachieve in school.

Amen!    The horrors of not being told always you're NUMBER ONE!   How on earth does anyone ever survive with the realization that there truly are others that are smarter or better at doing certain things than they are!! ;D
: April 06, 2012, 03:37:58 PM Runole

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 06, 2012, 03:34:25 PM

Quote from: morgan

I remember running track & field in high school, I was exhausted and my coach wanted me to run the mile, even knowing I am terrible at running distances. I had a moment, where it was down to me and one other guy (an overweight kid) for last place. I felt bad and thought about letting him beat me out, it'd probably be the only time he wouldn't finish last in track and an accomplishment to him that he'd remember forever. With all of those tear jerking thoughts running through my head, I smoked him.  Tough love.  :D

Runole

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 06, 2012, 03:38:51 PM

Quote from: morgan

I remember running track & field in high school, I was exhausted and my coach wanted me to run the mile, even knowing I am terrible at running distances. I had a moment, where it was down to me and one other guy (an overweight kid) for last place. I felt bad and thought about letting him beat me out, it'd probably be the only time he wouldn't finish last in track and an accomplishment to him that he'd remember forever. With all of those tear jerking thoughts running through my head, I smoked him.  Tough love.  :D

Good for you!!   
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Claiborne and the Wonderlic test shedding light on a bigger issue? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools