Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: any one else notice how bad Mo C's « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« : April 08, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »

10 yards split is?  1.60.  Worst of all the top 3 round prospects I see.    By comparison, Jenkins was a 1.47 and Gilmore a 1.50.  Even Dennard was a 1.52.  His 3 cone was pretty horrible as well.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 08, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »

What does the split measure?   (in the interest of talking football)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 08, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Behind-the-times-the-10yard-split.html

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 08, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »

10 yards split is?  1.60.  Worst of all the top 3 round prospects I see.    By comparison, Jenkins was a 1.47 and Gilmore a 1.50.  Even Dennard was a 1.52.  His 3 cone was pretty horrible as well.

This guy is bust in waiting...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 08, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »

Good enough to cover Julio Jones and Steve Smith

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 08, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »

I'm not going that far but he is not an elite athlete for the position and if he is going to be one of the highest drafted CBs in the last 10 years shouldn't he be an elite athlete?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 08, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

the article focuses on DE's and explosion.

The more we dissect things about Claiborne the more flags come up - but i don't think this is one of them.

His instincts negate the tenth of a second at CB.   I see this as a non- issue (but doesn't change my mind about him being the second guy I'd pick at #5.)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 08, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

Kilpatrick was a 1.53.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 08, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »

One of the most important and consistently overlooked measurements at the combine is the first 10 yards of the 40, known as the 10-yard split. This is simply a measurement to see how fast a prospect can cover the first 10 yards of their 40. It’s great to see how fast someone can run 40 yards, but how often in an NFL game are players required to cover that distance on one play? A more reasonable measurement, and a better indicator of “football speed,” is 10 yards.

A 10-yard split not only measures the short-area burst of an NFL prospect and but also allows evaluators to determine if the prospect is a two-stepper (a player who can get up to full speed in two steps) or a strider (a player who needs to hit full stride to reach his top speed). Since football players as a whole are consistently forced to quickly explode in and out of their breaks throughout the game and change directions, short-area explosion (typically within 10 yards) is a pivotal reflection of a player’s overall “football speed.”

That article considers a 1.60 as an "average" time for a DE prospect.  Not a great time or a good time but average.  The third tier.   And thats for guys that weigh 60-70 pounds more than Claiborne.
« : April 08, 2012, 10:45:46 AM Skull and Bones »

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #9 : April 08, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

I'm not going that far but he is not an elite athlete for the position and if he is going to be one of the highest drafted CBs in the last 10 years shouldn't he be an elite athlete?

This is exactly what I'm saying. If I'm drafting one of the highest drafted corners in the last 10-15 years the guy better have been either locking up elite receivers the last two years he's been in school, or atleast be off the charts athletically. This dude has done neither. Put it this way...if all Richardson turns out to be is Jonathan Stewart atleast him and Blount will be a hell of a duo regardless, if Claiborne turns out to be Terrance Newman our secondary will still get roasted and he would have zero impact on our defense. If we're taking a sleeper pick I'd go with Hightower who I think will be awesome for whatever team drafts him and has some of the least bust potential of any prospect in this draft.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : April 08, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »

Claiborne excelled in the toughest conference in college football.  I prefer to base my opinion on what I see on the field then on the combine.     

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 08, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »

A lot of what makes Mo Clay (sounds better than Mo C) as impressive a prospect as he is are his long arms. Where a lot of CB's his size have 31 inch arms, he's got 33.5 inch arms. To put that in perspective, at 6'6" Kalil only has 34.5 inch arms, and Reiff's arms are shorter than Claibornes at 33. Mo Clay's arm length is close to the same as Calvin Johnson's.

So when you consider that Claiborne has the athletisism very close if not better to the other top guys when you take into account other explosion numbers and then add in that freakish arm length, what you have is a potential stud. It's hard to really get a complete feel for a prospet based on the small amount of film available to us as regular fans, but the one thing that really impresses me about Mo Clay when I look at him as NFL propsect is his ability with those long arms to get to crossing passes, which are obviously huge staples in the NFL.
« : April 08, 2012, 11:08:07 AM BucsPirate1 »

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 08, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

I would like to see the 10 yard splits of guys like Pacman Jones. Which is who Jenkins has a legit chance of becoming.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 08, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »

I'm sure he can make up for that with his smarts...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Rebel

Rookie

« #14 : April 08, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »

10 yard splits mean nothing for CB's. When are they ever running in a straight line? Never. They are normally back peddling. You are just trying to find stuff not to like about him.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: any one else notice how bad Mo C's « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools