Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The death of the workhorse running back « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#150 : April 11, 2012, 05:35:52 PM

If you truly did BPA isn't possible you could end up with something like a ridiculous draft of 7 QB's ?  Everyone targets need to a certain extent.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#151 : April 11, 2012, 06:20:02 PM

If you truly did BPA isn't possible you could end up with something like a ridiculous draft of 7 QB's ?  Everyone targets need to a certain extent.

Most exclude QB when talking BPA.  But everyone else beside punter and kicker would be in play IMO.  For instance if Kalil fell to #5, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him even though its not a big need right now.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#152 : April 11, 2012, 07:02:40 PM

Most exclude QB when talking BPA.  But everyone else beside punter and kicker would be in play IMO.  For instance if Kalil fell to #5, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him even though its not a big need right now.

Even still ....what if we went BPA and everytime our pick came up the BPA was a Wide reciever. You'd be cool with us drafting 7 Wide recievers ?? ( or 6 in this case ) LOL . We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL

BPA ia a myth ...everyone picks according to need at some level. All that varies is how far they are willing to reach in order to fill one of those needs.
: April 11, 2012, 07:04:55 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

champkind

Hall of Famer

#153 : April 11, 2012, 07:23:50 PM

Even still ....what if we went BPA and everytime our pick came up the BPA was a Wide reciever. You'd be cool with us drafting 7 Wide recievers ?? ( or 6 in this case ) LOL . We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL

BPA ia a myth ...everyone picks according to need at some level. All that varies is how far they are willing to reach in order to fill one of those needs.

First of all, it would be an incredible coincidence if the BPA was all the same position every round, but that isn't how teams work anyway. Dom has stated that they evaluate into "pods." Players are grouped into level where they are likely to be drafted/based on prospect level. Obviously at the top of the draft, they are probably separated more distinctly, but once you get out of the first round really, you might have 2, 3, 4, 5, maybe 6 guys or more that you consider "BPA" at that spot based on your pod. The later you get in the draft, the less a team will be able to pinpoint a true "BPA" down to a man.

White Tiger

Starter
#154 : April 11, 2012, 07:29:09 PM

Quote from: White Tiger
Yes, so long as its at a position of greatest need...

Say the draft falls like to where we have Claiborne and Kalil at pick 5 on our lap. (Someone thought Tannehill was worth the trade... idk... Just humor me lol)

Personally, looking at that scenario, I would take Kalil. I don't identify Tackle as a "great need", but I recognize Kalil's talent as a BPA, even to a great prospect like Claiborne. I don't want to leave you in suspense as to where I am going with this. What if the Buccaneers feel, that Trent Richardson is the BPA? Literally the best player available? A franchise player to the extent of a player like Kalil is and the organization does not feel sold on Blount? If the cards fall this way, I'll live with it, not saying that I support it. Personally, I'm with the crowd that thinks there is great value later in backs like Martin, Miller, Wilson, etc etc. I just have no idea what our big board looks like, and honestly, there is a good possibility, Richardson could be at the top. Thoughts?

So you're saying, special situations require alteration of draft strategy?

Organizations make plans to deal with the expected, reason should prevail if an unexpected opportunity drops in your lap.

Now, do you think the man pulling the trigger will play it safe, or will he go for broke?

Depends on if the real talent evaluators (those who's careers depend on their selections) believe about the talent of Trent Richardson. Like when Charlie Casserly didn't see enough in Reggie Bush and instead selected Mario Williams...

Casserly was proven to have made the correct call...but he doesn't work for the Texans anymore....

If anyone thinks Trent Richardson is a gamble...and that we really only need a corner anyway...do you think Dominick would gamble, or play it safe?

I think he plays it safe, but he's moved up before to take a QB he thought was special and was afraid Denver was targeting...so anything is possible.

But I really think Trent Richardson is special and if he's available, we should take him.
: April 11, 2012, 07:33:21 PM White Tiger

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#155 : April 11, 2012, 07:51:26 PM

First of all, it would be an incredible coincidence if the BPA was all the same position every round, but that isn't how teams work anyway. Dom has stated that they evaluate into "pods." Players are grouped into level where they are likely to be drafted/based on prospect level. Obviously at the top of the draft, they are probably separated more distinctly, but once you get out of the first round really, you might have 2, 3, 4, 5, maybe 6 guys or more that you consider "BPA" at that spot based on your pod. The later you get in the draft, the less a team will be able to pinpoint a true "BPA" down to a man.

So you always have multiple "BPA" options for each and every pick ...the deciding factor obviously always being your biggest need.

Thanks for proving my point . Everyone drafts according to need. A true BPA method which ranked every single player from 1- 230ish and didn't take into account need at all would be a disaster.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#156 : April 11, 2012, 07:54:08 PM

Beatles is going to be laughing come draft night if we pick TR.

In joy.

And loud TAMPAAAAAA chants.

Expect me, y'all...

The only people who should be laughing will be NO, CAR and ATL.
They'd be the first to pick TR if they could.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#157 : April 11, 2012, 08:34:21 PM

Quote from: BucBalla85
Disagreements can be good. Its what these boards are for. No worries, It doesnt upset me.

Do you support the BPA concept? Drafting the best player available that is.

Most of the time it is. I think it really depends on the situation the teams in and where they are picking. For us BPA is the best way to go since we're at the top of the draft. Luckily for us we could use any of those guys at the top of the draft. Even Richardson wouldn't be a bad pick but I've been down that road of what I think about that. If they draft Richardson I won't complain about it.
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The death of the workhorse running back « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools